Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Info for newbies in Abu Dhabi

Info for newbies in Abu Dhabi

Old Jul 28th 2008, 6:02 am
Account Closed

britchick35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info for newbies in Abu Dhabi

HI all been in ad 2 weeks now and no tbeen the smoothest transition.
We were offered seashore villas by the company and i though ti was going ot cry ....im no that type not fussy at all ...usually i hated villa area etc etc i could barely see a positive in it....but ina nutshell my husband does alot of his work out there and i have gotten the kids in to al raha school, small mercies in this place, but im in lovely apartment in khalidya, which contrary to what i thought i love it.
The big deal is my eldest has autism , not very bad but she very reluctant to leave the apartment and gives a whoel load of teenage excuse as to she didnt want to come anyway , other than shopping , and emirates palace can anyone direct me in the region of things to do ( im not driving yet but am happy to grab an al ghazal taxi)
Also can anyone give any information on areas as to what is where, currently im not far from the conriche, my other two love the heat as do i but i cnt go far and leave the eldest so we have been trotting to the park each day, just hoped for some insiders knowledge on this subject, also my eldest is refusing to toe the line for clothing sayin she didnt ask to come here and to be honest im as confused as she is cos your damned if you do and damned i fyou dont your stared at if you completely covered and yet when we went shopping for stuff which i thought might be fun , its full of well teen tiny clothes so her answer is if they sell it they must expect you to wear it ...true or false....?
I like it here but im a size 14-16 i wear large or if im lucky medium here i have to get xxl made me want ot scream and i was dying ot come here....lol
and bra sizes with out too much info i can see just by looking im not the only lady with a big size but if you go in many shops except m n s they have one ugly beige one in my size even la senza which i often shopped in in uk and often didnt have any probs getting nice underwear!
Anyway enough of my rants any info on living areas and peoples opinions of them would be great, as would things to do daily with 3 kids other than pay for the corniche:curse: i know im being tight as myhubby always tells me but pay for a beach !!!!
And things to do with a teen who didnt want ot come in the first place, failing that some little trips i can do with little ones, have been to heritage village but i think we went too late as there wasnt much to see though still very nice change .
good restaurants in evenings too would be good , just my humble opinion but i have foudn hotels are very swishy and expensive no really an issue but to be honest for the prices the foods pants and would prefer the food courts, liked chilis and noodle house and beiruit grill , went to the chinese at the hilton which to behonest was vvery average, as was the one at the novotel, also i have an allergy to smoke( im sure those of you that live here will die laughing )its killing me so the hotels people seem adamant to excersie their right to kick up their heels and i suppose i can see it but the uk is virutally smoke free and was good to eat out , by this post even i think it sounds like i prefer uk , i dont i hat eit its a hole and ad is beautiful , i just need to find this wonderful city people keep raving about ....
thanks every one ,, sorry this is so long ...
Old Jul 28th 2008, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info for newbies in Abu Dhabi

holy shit, split this off into about 10 different threads and you will get better responses. (seriously)Use the odd full stop on occassion also

by the time i got to your bra size i forgot where you actually lived.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

sounds to me like you should have taken seashores. that way all your kids could entertain themselves in the security of the place, play at the pool, play all the games in the gym etc etc. Now you have to go everywhere with them constantly and really living in a city centre apartment whilst all very nice would not be my ideal place if i was a kid. Oh but give me a great pool area and basketball court, tennis court, gym etc etc. And you are admitting you are tight, all this is free of charge...
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:01 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried Lou Lou Island the boat goes next to the heritage village every hour its 15dhs and you have a nice boat ride then pay at the other end, the coach takes you round the island and they have sun loungers and covered seating. If you go take a picnic and plenty water.

Marina mall is just across the road from there and has loads of the same shops as the Uk and will have normal sizes. Many of the non uk shops will cater for the Filipinos so will be smaller size. Splash for instance you need to go up a dress size. People out here dont take much notice of the size label I mean its not as if you are gonna flash your pants around is it??

At the moment it is the HOT season so is very limited as to what you can do outside. Perhaps someone else will have more ideas!

As for your daughter I am sure she will adjust to being here being a teenager is licence to be a brat for once in your life... its a Huge change!
There is no law as to wearing short tight clothes out here but she may be regarded by some locals as a hooker it is a Muslim country out here after all. You might just want to be aware that she might get a few looks from local Indians.

Good luck and remember you have only just got here and its a lot to get used to it will get better and you will all love it .....
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad View Post
sounds to me like you should have taken seashores. that way all your kids could entertain themselves in the security of the place, play at the pool, play all the games in the gym etc etc. Now you have to go everywhere with them constantly and really living in a city centre apartment whilst all very nice would not be my ideal place if i was a kid. Oh but give me a great pool area and basketball court, tennis court, gym etc etc. And you are admitting you are tight, all this is free of charge...
for the record im in a hurry hence lack of grammar and the litle two loved the pool but the eldest who will have the most freedom hated it.
and money isnt an issues for us we are lucky so its not that im tight there....im pretty well versed in places in abu dhabi ,just wanted to extra info from the people who have been here many years i also speak a bit of arabic too so im not that stranded , also i wouldnt leave my kids unaccompanied all day at a pool.
thanks for your opinion though.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by twinkle-star View Post
Have you tried Lou Lou Island the boat goes next to the heritage village every hour its 15dhs and you have a nice boat ride then pay at the other end, the coach takes you round the island and they have sun loungers and covered seating. If you go take a picnic and plenty water.

Marina mall is just across the road from there and has loads of the same shops as the Uk and will have normal sizes. Many of the non uk shops will cater for the Filipinos so will be smaller size. Splash for instance you need to go up a dress size. People out here dont take much notice of the size label I mean its not as if you are gonna flash your pants around is it??

At the moment it is the HOT season so is very limited as to what you can do outside. Perhaps someone else will have more ideas!

As for your daughter I am sure she will adjust to being here being a teenager is licence to be a brat for once in your life... its a Huge change!
There is no law as to wearing short tight clothes out here but she may be regarded by some locals as a hooker it is a Muslim country out here after all. You might just want to be aware that she might get a few looks from local Indians.

Good luck and remember you have only just got here and its a lot to get used to it will get better and you will all love it .....
thanks for that actually we were thinking of lulu island, it sounds nice.
Your very right about the teenager thing she does get away with a bit more...lol and she says shes not that bothered about the staring , to be honest its more the indians that stare the arabs have asked her out , those that actually look...Anyway shes hopelessy in love with her other half at home hence the misery poor soul , but i know what you mean size wise also there are some shops that woudl fit my 9 year old who is a little tall and they are meant to be womens clothes.
thanks again for your reply , i might try heritage village again though as it was near closing time when we went so although the guy with the potters wheel was awsome there wasn't much else going on .....i think the little 2 want to see the camel.
thanks again.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:39 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchick35 View Post
thanks for that actually we were thinking of lulu island, it sounds nice.
Your very right about the teenager thing she does get away with a bit more...lol and she says shes not that bothered about the staring , to be honest its more the indians that stare the arabs have asked her out , those that actually look...Anyway shes hopelessy in love with her other half at home hence the misery poor soul , but i know what you mean size wise also there are some shops that woudl fit my 9 year old who is a little tall and they are meant to be womens clothes.
thanks again for your reply , i might try heritage village again though as it was near closing time when we went so although the guy with the potters wheel was awsome there wasn't much else going on .....i think the little 2 want to see the camel.
thanks again.
I note you said money isnt an issue how about a trip to Dubai for the day get a cab down to Emirates mall where they have the ski dome book some lessons and have a look round or get there before 10am and jump on a tour bus for the day you can get on and off where ever you like.
They also have wild waddi there again cab down and spend the day there.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

....im pretty well versed in places in abu dhabi ,just wanted to extra info from the people who have been here many years
busybee2 and squiry cream seem to be the longer term AD residents on the board. I am sure they will be along sometime to advise. Many families join one of the beach or leisure clubs. Even if you are not sure - perhaps get on the waiting list of the one you prefer.

It does take time to settle here - this is common! I have been here 9 months now and just starting to enjoy myself.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry been busy visitors coming, doing maid duty...

things to do in AD. Summer in AD at ADNEC which is quite good, good for the little ones, there is a high wire assault course thing that the bigger one will enjoy but you need to be a certain height and wear trainers, there is shows and of course the usual fairground rides. Lulu beach but a bit hot at the mo, the ice rink, bowling at Zayed Sports City or at AD mall/marina mall, cinema usually at least one film each week, Ski Dubai up in MOE if you drive, you can do paintballing and quadbiking up at Armed Forces Officers Club and there is go kartarting at Jebel Ali (dubai). Thats the first things that come to mind.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:33 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

HI all been in ad 2 weeks now and no tbeen the smoothest transition.
We were offered seashore villas by the company and i though ti was going ot cry ....im no that type not fussy at all ...usually i hated villa area etc etc i could barely see a positive in it....but ina nutshell my husband does alot of his work out there and i have gotten the kids in to al raha school, small mercies in this place, but im in lovely apartment in khalidya, which contrary to what i thought i love it.
The big deal is my eldest has autism , not very bad but she very reluctant to leave the apartment and gives a whoel load of teenage excuse as to she didnt want to come anyway , other than shopping , and emirates palace can anyone direct me in the region of things to do ( im not driving yet but am happy to grab an al ghazal taxi)
Also can anyone give any information on areas as to what is where, currently im not far from the conriche, my other two love the heat as do i but i cnt go far and leave the eldest so we have been trotting to the park each day, just hoped for some insiders knowledge on this subject, also my eldest is refusing to toe the line for clothing sayin she didnt ask to come here and to be honest im as confused as she is cos your damned if you do and damned i fyou dont your stared at if you completely covered and yet when we went shopping for stuff which i thought might be fun , its full of well teen tiny clothes so her answer is if they sell it they must expect you to wear it ...true or false....?
I like it here but im a size 14-16 i wear large or if im lucky medium here i have to get xxl made me want ot scream and i was dying ot come here....lol
and bra sizes with out too much info i can see just by looking im not the only lady with a big size but if you go in many shops except m n s they have one ugly beige one in my size even la senza which i often shopped in in uk and often didnt have any probs getting nice underwear!
Anyway enough of my rants any info on living areas and peoples opinions of them would be great, as would things to do daily with 3 kids other than pay for the corniche:curse: i know im being tight as myhubby always tells me but pay for a beach !!!!
And things to do with a teen who didnt want ot come in the first place, failing that some little trips i can do with little ones, have been to heritage village but i think we went too late as there wasnt much to see though still very nice change .
good restaurants in evenings too would be good , just my humble opinion but i have foudn hotels are very swishy and expensive no really an issue but to be honest for the prices the foods pants and would prefer the food courts, liked chilis and noodle house and beiruit grill , went to the chinese at the hilton which to behonest was vvery average, as was the one at the novotel, also i have an allergy to smoke( im sure those of you that live here will die laughing )its killing me so the hotels people seem adamant to excersie their right to kick up their heels and i suppose i can see it but the uk is virutally smoke free and was good to eat out , by this post even i think it sounds like i prefer uk , i dont i hat eit its a hole and ad is beautiful , i just need to find this wonderful city people keep raving about ....
thanks every one ,, sorry this is so long ...
I am so glad I don't live in AD...saves me from having to read it all....
good luck though...with everything
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by busybee2 View Post
sorry been busy visitors coming, doing maid duty...

things to do in AD. Summer in AD at ADNEC which is quite good, good for the little ones, there is a high wire assault course thing that the bigger one will enjoy but you need to be a certain height and wear trainers, there is shows and of course the usual fairground rides. Lulu beach but a bit hot at the mo, the ice rink, bowling at Zayed Sports City or at AD mall/marina mall, cinema usually at least one film each week, Ski Dubai up in MOE if you drive, you can do paintballing and quadbiking up at Armed Forces Officers Club and there is go kartarting at Jebel Ali (dubai). Thats the first things that come to mind.
thanks for that , depsite having a rant i actually love it here i simply wondered for a teen who is not impressed by anything might do here....
I will certainly give those things a try , and were off to dubai for the weekend before going to some company party so i guess although i prefer not to do the expat thing im kind of tied into it in advertantly.
thansk for all your contributions.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:25 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that , depsite having a rant i actually love it here i simply wondered for a teen who is not impressed by anything might do here....
I will certainly give those things a try , and were off to dubai for the weekend before going to some company party so i guess although i prefer not to do the expat thing im kind of tied into it in advertantly.
thansk for all your contributions.
what's 'the expat thing'...are you not an expat then....
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot View Post
busybee2 and squiry cream seem to be the longer term AD residents on the board. I am sure they will be along sometime to advise. Many families join one of the beach or leisure clubs. Even if you are not sure - perhaps get on the waiting list of the one you prefer.

It does take time to settle here - this is common! I have been here 9 months now and just starting to enjoy myself.
I have lots of teenaged angst going on in my house, so you have my sympathy.
Your girl needs to make some friends and perhaps then she can go out - I have had kids with bipolar disorder, adhd, autism and aspbergers, schizophrenia and depression through my house at various times - they need to make friends with kids who don't judge. How old is she? Would you let her go shopping to the Mall with friends? To the internet cafe? One of my girls think the salon is a vital part of her social life - she likes haveing her nails done. Clothes - the fashions are great, but I'd advise shorts for evenings out or parties and not in the Mall.

Now, on to you - go to Bendon it's a lingerie shop in Fetouh Al Khair (marks and spencer mall) they have good sizes.

Younger kids are easy to please - busy bee has probably told you all you need to know - did she mention the pottery in Khalidiya? There is also an Arts Centre at the Cultural Foundation - that's worth a visit if only for the cafe. Also if your kids like Picasso visit Emirates Palace - even my teenagers were impressed.

Dubai - taxi or bus it - to be honest I've used the bus and some people might turn their noses up but hey - we all used buses in our home countries. The bus takes you into Dubai - near Meena Bazaar. You can visit the heritage and diving village and the old souk, go on an abra across the creek - this is all within walking distance and then you can jump a cab to one of the many Malls - which all have events going on and your teenager can shop til she drops.

If you want to take this further PM me, we can chat in more detail.

Welcome to Abu Dhabi - it's lovely here. Have you tried Wasabi at Mina Hotel on Mina Street, Hemingways - fish and chips gorgeous (Hilton), Airlines (Indian) near Next on Hamdan, Lebanese Flower near HCT on Passport Road or in Khalidiya, Golden Fork (Filipino food), Arab Udupi (Indian) on Hamdan or Airport Road, Zayara on the Corniche next to the Hilton Corniche Apartments. Fish Market (Intercon) or Finz (Beach Hotel) are both really nice seafood restaurants to go to with you man.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Squirty Cream View Post
I have lots of teenaged angst going on in my house, so you have my sympathy.
Your girl needs to make some friends and perhaps then she can go out - I have had kids with bipolar disorder, adhd, autism and aspbergers, schizophrenia and depression through my house at various times - they need to make friends with kids who don't judge. How old is she? Would you let her go shopping to the Mall with friends? To the internet cafe? One of my girls think the salon is a vital part of her social life - she likes haveing her nails done. Clothes - the fashions are great, but I'd advise shorts for evenings out or parties and not in the Mall.

Now, on to you - go to Bendon it's a lingerie shop in Fetouh Al Khair (marks and spencer mall) they have good sizes.

Younger kids are easy to please - busy bee has probably told you all you need to know - did she mention the pottery in Khalidiya? There is also an Arts Centre at the Cultural Foundation - that's worth a visit if only for the cafe. Also if your kids like Picasso visit Emirates Palace - even my teenagers were impressed.

Dubai - taxi or bus it - to be honest I've used the bus and some people might turn their noses up but hey - we all used buses in our home countries. The bus takes you into Dubai - near Meena Bazaar. You can visit the heritage and diving village and the old souk, go on an abra across the creek - this is all within walking distance and then you can jump a cab to one of the many Malls - which all have events going on and your teenager can shop til she drops.

If you want to take this further PM me, we can chat in more detail.

Welcome to Abu Dhabi - it's lovely here. Have you tried Wasabi at Mina Hotel on Mina Street, Hemingways - fish and chips gorgeous (Hilton), Airlines (Indian) near Next on Hamdan, Lebanese Flower near HCT on Passport Road or in Khalidiya, Golden Fork (Filipino food), Arab Udupi (Indian) on Hamdan or Airport Road, Zayara on the Corniche next to the Hilton Corniche Apartments. Fish Market (Intercon) or Finz (Beach Hotel) are both really nice seafood restaurants to go to with you man.

Well thanks for that its very informative as you say little ones are easy to deal with , my eldest is just 14 a couple of weeks ago and if she had some friends here i would let her go to the mall and things like that but i have to be sure she is on a even keel first she does have autism and adhd I'll pm you when i have a few more minutes i would rather be here than back home... just getting my eldest sorted thank you so much for your time.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
what's 'the expat thing'...are you not an expat then....
well technically I am an expat , and however much it has irratated people inthe first place as you cannot see expression in print its not intended to offend anyone but to us expat thing is often like going ot another country and demanding egg and chips if your british that is just our opinion on things and we don't need everything ot be british seprate clubs and only british things to do thats what i mean by expat, we are happy to embrace life as it is even if it takes some working out at first....
Not sure i have explained that bt if it sounds direct cant be helped we dont want to do the expat thing , things are just a little different for womne here cos lots of the little local places are full of men for very obvious reasons , im sure that hasnt answered your question very clearly but thats my answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.