Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Info from Construction Industry

Info from Construction Industry

Old Nov 1st 2008, 2:52 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Info from Construction Industry

this is probably best answered from people actually working in the industry as I have read many comments on here from people not in the industry and well as always against the Construction Industry all doom and gloom.

I would like to know what is really happening, I appreciate that things are changing everyday at the moment everywhere!

Are key projects being stopped halfway through?
Are Key projects not being started or put on hold for a couple of years?
Do you know of anyone in the industry being paid off yet?
I heard that Multiplex have paid off over 100 staff in Dubai is that correct or myth?

I understand that as when we had the last recession lots of rumours went around and approx 80% were just cr*p.

Reason for the question is that I have been offered a very good job and I have accepted it, to start in Jan 09. I will be moving with my family from NZ(originally UK) and just want a bit of insight.

I have asked a few people, agency says everything is sweet so does the company and they do seem to have lots of forward workload.

Thanks in advance for your assistance knowledge.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:07 am
str
Forum Regular

str is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info from Construction Industry

Business as usual in my company (major one) and project (prestige project for very major developer). I don't expect any problems here and if it should happen the country would be burnt down half way already.
But I was told by some suppliers that other (fairly big) contractors are freezing investments and trying to get out of some contracts. I won't post names here as I'm not 100% sure that it's not a rumour.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:52 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this thread...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570440
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes hubs in industry, part of the BIG project in dubai that he is working on have been cut back, and some of the clients people are being laid off. a lot of the projects are being cut back so yes things are changing here.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

My hubby's department in a big multi-D is inundated and has just won another couple of contracts. Who knows if the budgets will be cut later on (almost certainly), but at the moment, there's still a lot of work.

If anything, they'll probably re-phase the bigger projects and hold the later phases.

It may also depend on what you do exactly. If you're one of us fluffy artistic types that "just make the building/landscape look nice", then you may find budgets cut quicker than if you're from a serious engineering profession. [very obviously tongue in cheek there]
Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by theduke
this is probably best answered from people actually working in the industry as I have read many comments on here from people not in the industry and well as always against the Construction Industry all doom and gloom.

I would like to know what is really happening, I appreciate that things are changing everyday at the moment everywhere!

I heard that Multiplex have paid off over 100 staff in Dubai is that correct or myth?

I understand that as when we had the last recession lots of rumours went around and approx 80% were just cr*p.

Reason for the question is that I have been offered a very good job and I have accepted it, to start in Jan 09. I will be moving with my family from NZ(originally UK) and just want a bit of insight.

I have asked a few people, agency says everything is sweet so does the company and they do seem to have lots of forward workload.

I understand that there are some apartment blocks being put on hold...understandable really.

Personally speaking my company has never been so busy....we don't really do residential though.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:57 pm

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lyds
It may also depend on what you do exactly. If you're one of us fluffy artistic types that "just make the building/landscape look nice", then you may find budgets cut quicker than if you're from a serious engineering profession. [very obviously tongue in cheek there]

I am coming over as Commercial Manager for a fairly large contractor, you have caught me on the hop as I am sure I will be in for a new experience if there is "serious engineering professions" over there.

In all the time I have been in the industry (nearly 20yrs) I have never met a "serious engineer" on any building project, they usually overload then are told to strip to the bare minimum and stop trying to make the job look pretty, we usually leave some of that to the Architect, however more often than not the QS will decide.

I really appreciate the information and after getting some feedback from a couple of mates also I will be joining you all in Dubai come January 09.

Cheers All!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

I thought the main role of an architect was CAD-monkey nowadays?! Mushroom management ftw! Nice to know that some people let us choose the paints still!

Engineers appear serious cos they beat us into submission by quoting loads and other mafmatical stuff. Who can question that?! I reckon that's also why they get paid more... everyone's fallen asleep by the time they come to the point and then just get "there you go, that's the way it's got to be"... "er... ok!"
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:36 am

Well looks like I was right, the company I have been offered the job with have now have told me not to hand my notice into my current employer as they are putting everything on hold and NO new projects are being started in Dubai at all, only construction work we will see are the finishing of all the current projects.

Phew!!! close call, I was really looking forward to it as well, oh well maybe another time! Easy come easy go at least my current employer has offered me a promotion and 25% wage increase to keep me there.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:45 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Well looks like I was right, the company I have been offered the job with have now have told me not to hand my notice into my current employer as they are putting everything on hold and NO new projects are being started in Dubai at all, only construction work we will see are the finishing of all the current projects.

Phew!!! close call, I was really looking forward to it as well, oh well maybe another time! Easy come easy go at least my current employer has offered me a promotion and 25% wage increase to keep me there.
all to common a story here these days, I had heard the same about construction, what is being built will be finished and then that's it, no more.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

domdom85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone, I'm new here and have been nosing around a bit, so thought I'd put my two cents in.

From my experience, the news is not all doom and gloom. Although Dubai has been hit worse than other areas of the Middle East, major projects are still going ahead.

The big developers are making redundancies but that's mainly because they took way too many people on in a ridiculously short period of time without planning properly.

The guys that I work with still have loads going on in Abu Dhabi, Oman and Qatar which hasn't been affected. It depends who you work with I suppose, the companies with a lot of Western investment are suffering, but the one's that are well established and haven't put everything into Dubai are Ok.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

DAMAC: 200 jobs axed:-(

PS: you read it first on BE....

http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Rea.../10258561.html
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

domdom85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard that last week, it's a shame too they've hired pretty good people recently.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Max the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really nice

Good friend, senior bod in Emaar said they are laying off 30% of their staff also Nakheel rumoured to be laying off 1,200.. In his words: Tin hat time!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Max the Dog
Good friend, senior bod in Emaar said they are laying off 30% of their staff also Nakheel rumoured to be laying off 1,200.. In his words: Tin hat time!
A good opportunity for some companies to get rid of some of the useless BS'ers that work for them (no company in specific aimed at) cos god knows this place is full of them.

Don't believe everything you hear. There's very few people that know the plans for companies....unless your friend is a certain Mr Alabbar. At the moment the rumour mill is working overtime.

Mind you....with the influx of staff at Emaar i did wonder what's going to happen to them as their major Dubai project approaches an end.

i also wonder whether its Emaar as a a collective including sponsored companies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.