British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   India Intermediary bank charges for money transfer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/india-intermediary-bank-charges-money-transfer-944808/)

Mittdee Jul 20th 2022 11:10 am

India Intermediary bank charges for money transfer

Hi All,

Does anyone know how much the intermediary banks charge in India for a transfer from HSBC UK bank to a non HSBC bank in India?
The recipient bank doesn't charge for inward remittances.
I was charged 7 USD by UK HSBC. I received less money than advised by HSBC UK.
I was told by HSBC UK customer care, that the HSBC India would have charged as being the intermediary bank.
Any experience ?
thanks in advance
Mittdee

Millhouse Jul 20th 2022 3:14 pm

Re: India Intermediary bank charges for money transfer

Originally Posted by Mittdee (Post 13129933)
Hi All,

Does anyone know how much the intermediary banks charge in India for a transfer from HSBC UK bank to a non HSBC bank in India?
I was told by HSBC UK customer care, that the HSBC India would have charged as being the intermediary bank.
Any experience ?
thanks in advance
Mittdee

Better to not use an intermediary. Revolut or Wise will likely cut out those fees. Fees can be up to 50USD.

Pulaski Jul 20th 2022 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 13129984)
Better to not use an intermediary. Revolut or Wise will likely cut out those fees. Fees can be up to 50USD.

Unless you're sending USD100k+ it is likely that the on-line remitters will give you a significantly better FX rate too.

Bipat Jul 20th 2022 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mittdee (Post 13129933)
Hi All,

Any experience ?
thanks in advance
Mittdee

I only know regarding sending money in £s from a UK bank to Indian banks and there are charges by both banks, although the total can be paid at the UK bank.

clergy Jul 23rd 2022 8:21 am

Happened to me too while sending GBP to USD from HSBC to HSBC via Wise. HSBC have an intermediary bank they don't mention, charging $25. Probably the same charge for you.

Mittdee Jul 23rd 2022 2:42 pm

Thanks all for your experience sharing. Appreciated.

Millhouse Jul 23rd 2022 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13129989)
Unless you're sending USD100k+ it is likely that the on-line remitters will give you a significantly better FX rate too.

who sends less than a 100k?