Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Incomming Saudi end of May

Incomming Saudi end of May

Old May 16th 2009, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Sean_f will become famous soon enough
Default Incomming Saudi end of May

Hi all I have decided to take the plunge and enter the magical Kingdom I posted here a few weeks ago about the offer and have just got my contract this morning and have had a surprise the offer is SAR 185k plus accommodation on Eid and SAR 135 per diem, in the interview I had been told a car would be provided but now I have the option of getting one myself with a monthly allowance of SAR 18500 which is more than my salary and that is in my contract and stated in a separate email so it aint a typo so what I am asking is can I rent a car for that or is it expensive and too much hassle should I just take the car they are offering I have tried to check the cost of a hire car but have not had much luck.

I anyone can help that would be great but I am on a bit of a short timeline as need to give the contract in when I meet then again on tuesday.

Almost forgot can anyone see any problems with me bringing my PS3 with me will I get it through the airport I have been told probably best not to take my laptop with me as it could be confiscated and dont want to lose my PS3

Last edited by Sean_f; May 16th 2009 at 3:40 pm. Reason: missed a question
Old May 16th 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Incomming Saudi end of May

Hi welcome to the Kingdom. 18500sr per month allowance for a car is huge - you could hire a car and a driver for that and still have money left over.

Don't worry about bringing your PS3 and laptop - we travel in and out of the Kingdom with both every holiday - no problems at all. Just make sure you don't have anything dodgy on the laptop on the off chance they could check it. But we've never had ours looked at.

Cheers
N
Old May 16th 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on what type of car you are looking for lets say a small yaris for ie .
you can hire one of those for about 2200 sar a month from either sixth or budget or hanco.
but remeber untill you get your iqama you canoot do a lot, bring your uk license with you thenyour pro chap can have it swopped at the pc plod office.
Lap top i have never had mine checked yet !!!!!
but easier in your early days untill you find your feet hire a car and a driver.
Old May 16th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, ditto re the congrats and the proposed welcome to the Kingdom.

That is a huge allowance for the car, you will comfortably be able to afford a decent set of wheels. Once you get your iqama - about two weeks from arriving in Kingdom, you can then get your Driving Licence - this can be done on the same day.

Car hire - to hire a 'decent' car out here ( Toyota Camry is classed a top car and very popular ) will be around 150-200 SR per day. To buy one used ( 2008 model, will be around 55k sr. Depends on what you want though, many expats go for a SUV type - mainly because the fuel is so cheap, the running costs are nowhere near the costs they would be in the UK. Again, these can be picked up used, or new - depends on how much you wanna spend and what you're after. Buying one new from a dealer and you can negotiate monthly payments etc etc.

As Nic says, laptop shouldn't be an issue at all, I've been in/out of the KIngdom several times now, and have never had a problem. PS3 - might be better to buy one here - just bring your games with you? Most of them here are compatible with UK versions anyway.

Good luck.
Old May 16th 2009, 4:20 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

SAR18.5k a month? holy crap!

for that sort of rental you could get a frickin' ferrari! (though don't -> the roads are terrible and it'd be a crime!)

anyway, to get a feel for car prices, have a look at these links...

http://www.audi.com.sa/home.asp -> audi (check the 2nd hand for a feel for the prices)
http://www.expatriates.com/classifieds/riy/vehicles/ -> second hand expat stuff
http://www.sa-motor.com/ -> second hand cars in english
http://www.umc.com.sa -> dodge, jeep and chrysler prices for new (check the brochures)
http://www.gmcertifiedarabia.com/con...ferrer=&pdcmp= -> GM cars (certified 2nd hand)
http://www.porschesaudiarabia.com/default.asp -> check out the 2nd hand to get a feel of new prices
http://www.aljazirahford.com/index.p...0d08b167b2e0de -> check the promotions (it's in arabic but the prices are english)

p.s. drop me a PM when you get to Eid
Old May 16th 2009, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

But why buy another one if he's already got one ? It won't get confiscated at the airport so just bring it along.

Cheers
N
Old May 16th 2009, 6:28 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean_f
Hi all I have decided to take the plunge and enter the magical Kingdom I posted here a few weeks ago about the offer and have just got my contract this morning and have had a surprise the offer is SAR 185k plus accommodation on Eid and SAR 135 per diem, in the interview I had been told a car would be provided but now I have the option of getting one myself with a monthly allowance of SAR 18500 which is more than my salary and that is in my contract and stated in a separate email so it aint a typo so what I am asking is can I rent a car for that or is it expensive and too much hassle should I just take the car they are offering I have tried to check the cost of a hire car but have not had much luck.

I anyone can help that would be great but I am on a bit of a short timeline as need to give the contract in when I meet then again on tuesday.

Almost forgot can anyone see any problems with me bringing my PS3 with me will I get it through the airport I have been told probably best not to take my laptop with me as it could be confiscated and dont want to lose my PS3
Sean, sorry to cast a pall over your sunlight, but there is no way anyone will offer 18'500 per month for a car allowance. Per Annum, probably, per month; sorry aint gonna happen. A Porsche Cayenne costs less than your stated annual allowance. It isn't going to happen, mate! Suggests you re-validate the offer. It's not unusual for "oops, sorry...." to happen.

Good luck and welcome to the ME.
Old May 16th 2009, 7:06 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Roadking
Sean, sorry to cast a pall over your sunlight, but there is no way anyone will offer 18'500 per month for a car allowance. Per Annum, probably, per month; sorry aint gonna happen. A Porsche Cayenne costs less than your stated annual allowance. It isn't going to happen, mate! Suggests you re-validate the offer. It's not unusual for "oops, sorry...." to happen.

Good luck and welcome to the ME.
yeah, sorry Sean, tend to agree with RK here (was trying to do it a little more subtley by showing you car prices)

even if it's in writing here, aint mean it's going to happen. contracts are a challenge here - anaecdotal (spelling?) evidence suggests that if you take it to court, the co. will cancel your visa and then stretch out the court date so you're out of the country and therefore get a favourable decision in your absence...

you may want to try and spell it out to them very very clearly.

"so, my monthly salary is x and my monthly car allowance is y. now y is bigger than x and this isn't for tax reasons, so what's going on?"
Old May 16th 2009, 7:10 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
yeah, sorry Sean, tend to agree with RK here (was trying to do it a little more subtley by showing you car prices)

even if it's in writing here, aint mean it's going to happen. contracts are a challenge here - anaecdotal (spelling?) evidence suggests that if you take it to court, the co. will cancel your visa and then stretch out the court date so you're out of the country and therefore get a favourable decision in your absence...

you may want to try and spell it out to them very very clearly.

"so, my monthly salary is x and my monthly car allowance is y. now y is bigger than x and this isn't for tax reasons, so what's going on?"
Sublety? Wots that then? I thought sub-letting was illegal?
Old May 16th 2009, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking
Sublety? Wots that then? I thought sub-letting was illegal?
it's bad spelling!
Old May 17th 2009, 12:16 am
Ozz
Just Joined

Ozz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member although I have been reading the numerous threads for the last couple of weeks as I am just going through the final stages of the interview process. Before leaving leafy Surrey I have a number of questions I was hoping you could help me answer;

1. I have been told that prior to being given a contract my CV has been passed to the MOI for 'approval' (our client is the govt) and subject to them signing this off my job offer will be formalised. Does anyone know what this involves?

2. What is the best compound to live in? Will probably live on my own for the first six months until I am confident that I want to uproot my family and bring them over. Heard there are long queues for some of the best ones; which is most child friendly?

3. I have young children (8, 6 and six months) and had read the British international School was good; my two elder kids currently go to the a Prep School in the UK and am keen to maintain a top education; are schools in Riyadh comparable?

4. Lastly, what advice can you give to the 'new boy' about moving to Riyadh in terms of culture, life style, social life with or without the family on tow?

All going well I hope to be out in the Kingdom by July / Aug 09

Ozz
Old May 17th 2009, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Ozz
Hi Everyone,

I am a new member although I have been reading the numerous threads for the last couple of weeks as I am just going through the final stages of the interview process. Before leaving leafy Surrey I have a number of questions I was hoping you could help me answer;

1. I have been told that prior to being given a contract my CV has been passed to the MOI for 'approval' (our client is the govt) and subject to them signing this off my job offer will be formalised. Does anyone know what this involves?

2. What is the best compound to live in? Will probably live on my own for the first six months until I am confident that I want to uproot my family and bring them over. Heard there are long queues for some of the best ones; which is most child friendly?

3. I have young children (8, 6 and six months) and had read the British international School was good; my two elder kids currently go to the a Prep School in the UK and am keen to maintain a top education; are schools in Riyadh comparable?

4. Lastly, what advice can you give to the 'new boy' about moving to Riyadh in terms of culture, life style, social life with or without the family on tow?

All going well I hope to be out in the Kingdom by July / Aug 09

Ozz
have a scan of this... http://britishexpats.com/wiki/The_Ul...to_Saudi_Life_ to get you started as it's probably the best and most concise way to orientate yourself with the saudi lifestyle and "challenges".

there are a couple of the 'top' compounds (Eid, Al Hamra & Seder for kids) in Riyadh but getting onto them is nigh on impossible. all i can say is to start hammering the managers in person/on the phone NOW if you want a place anytime in the next 6 months. same goes for the British school which is arguably the best in Riyadh. having a british passport helps cut through some of the line, but it's pretty full and very expensive.

just to re-iterate (and can't say this enough) get onto the compounds NOW if you want a snowballs chance in riyadh of getting ANY type of compound, let alone a good one.

(you can find a list of the compound contact numbers in the wiki)
Old May 18th 2009, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Smoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud of

I know I'm (slightly) boycotting this thread but can someone please tell me whether I would be able to bring in my parrot and 2 dogs to the Magic Kingdom??

Thanks and good luck Ozz.
Old May 18th 2009, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl
I know I'm (slightly) boycotting this thread but can someone please tell me whether I would be able to bring in my parrot and 2 dogs to the Magic Kingdom??

Thanks and good luck Ozz.
it shouldn't be a problem, just paperwork. i have a colleague who's bringing in a dog and i'll ask about the specifics, but from memory, there's something about noting them as 'guard dogs'.

as for the parrot... sorry, have no idea.

you may want to have a look at for some info too.

http://www.petrelocation.com/resourc...s/saudi-arabia
http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-saudi-arabia-pets
http://www.jet-a-pet.com
Old May 18th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Smoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud of

Thanks for such a prompt answer - I doubt a Shitzu is known as a guard dog - though in all honesty he's more of a one than the german shepherd who's a total woos !!

I have looked at this website http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/SA-S...ns-details.htm

and it looks like parrots are also banned - though I have no idea how old the info on that page is. There's also a bird flu ban here and it took me 30 months to bring her, but bring her I did last August !!

So if I can't bring my pets with me - Saudi will be out which as mr smooch has just said on the phone - we are destined not to save any f****n money in our lives

Not a happy camper I'm afraid - things are looking very bleak right now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.