Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Impossible task of finding work in Middle East from UK

Impossible task of finding work in Middle East from UK

Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

SONDO will become famous soon enough
Default Impossible task of finding work in Middle East from UK

I spoke to a respected Recruiter in Dubai today and was told that the reason I am finding it difficult to find work in ME is because companies will always hire locals over people trying to find work from UK.

What is the solution to this chicken and egg scenario. I am told i cant find work because locals will get preference but i cant get local because i cant get a job.

It was suggested that i come over for a month and try to meet recruiters when there but i dont see the difference as they will not have definite interviews lined up at a given time i may be able to be there.

This advice has really depressed me as i wonder how any of you guys who have found work there ever got there. I am fed up sending my CV into the ether and get no response back.

I need to know the secret of how I get a job there from the UK without having to apply online.

HELPME PLEASE
Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impossible task of finding work in Middle East from UK

look through the forums, plenty of advice posted numerous times..but in a gist, have a holiday there, and when you flog your CV, say you'll be there for a meet between x and y date to show your serious.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 7:51 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impossible task of finding work in Middle East from UK

A lot depends on what field you work in, some people are lucky to be headhunted (like my husband was), others have to work harder to get a job here.

The best way to be noticed by recruitment agencies is to come here on a holiday and contact them to tell them you are in Dubai on such and such date and want to arrange a meeting. That way the agencies know you are serious about working here. Also contacting companies directly works to, again letting them know when you are planning to come out here will help. Agencies here receive thousands of overseas applications per week and most of them won't be read as they haven't the time and these applicants not being in the UAE can go against them.

One thing you need to do is chase these applications as they won't chase you, if you don't there will be someone else that will.

Good luck.