Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Old Apr 10th 2015, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

max666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Originally Posted by johnnyjones61
Hi IMI 7

Thanks so much for putting your offer of help out there

I do ahve a question
I am moving to Jeddha in Saudi shortly and I am wondering how safe it is in terms of travel and movement through Saudi, great to hear any feedback about this ..kind regards

John
Yeah you should be perfectly fine, the people are friendly too. Just the weather there in the summer, it's terrible
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:42 am
Just Joined

AM81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My husband and I are about to move to Riyadh, the company has placed us Fal compound, do you know anything about it, what it is like to live there? We have a toddler so want to be in a community that is friendly and has different family friendly stuff going on.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

zalzalahbuttsaab is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

It's good to know there's someone out there to help with transferring to another country. Could you let me know how to get a job in Mecca cleaning the K'aaba?
Old Jun 12th 2015, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

herowing is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by imi7
.... I am happy to help.

I have been working in this region for over 8 years, and lived here for almost 6 years. I have a good understanding of local laws/customs etc.

As a Brit expat, I am happy to help anyone searching for advice. As part of my job I regularly recruit from the UK to Saudi Arabia so am aware of all visa issues/work laws/general niggles.

Just throwing it out there

PS I don't charge - just doing my bit for the expats
Hi, Imi7:

Thank you for your generous help.
I am wondering if you could give me some advice on choosing banks in Riyadh.
I heard that banks in Saudi do not give interests. How do people usually handle the salary? wire back home? offshore banks?
Which offshore banks are safe?
Also, what is the best and cheapest way to wire money back home (US and UK).
Thank you.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Swansea is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AM81
Hi,

My husband and I are about to move to Riyadh, the company has placed us Fal compound, do you know anything about it, what it is like to live there? We have a toddler so want to be in a community that is friendly and has different family friendly stuff going on.
Hi how is Fal compound many westerners there??
Also do you happen to know the rent for a two bed flat?
Old Sep 16th 2015, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Dave46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i am new to the forum, and new to working abroad... scary, i will be deploying to Buraydah ( not sure how it is pronounced) in early November, will be in Las Palma compound. Has anyone any advice on this area? local Amenities? etc. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance
Old Sep 16th 2015, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The Wahabi Heartland of Nejd. A tough posting.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

super_hans is an unknown quantity at this point

As above, it certainly wouldn't be my first choice. Hopefully a buzzing compound and a fat pay packet.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

As above, it certainly wouldn't be my first choice. Hopefully a buzzing compound and a fat pay packet.
Not a choice i have as its paid for by the company, and colleagues will be based there, I've never been to this part of the world and just wanted some advice as to what to expect, at this point i see its going to be a lonely existence rather than comfortable living.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Buraydah is the most conservative city in KSA, a mate got pulled for having his car radio on during prayer time. But, the place is what you make it and if you've got colleagues in the same compound you'll soon get a social life going. Get your OSN hooked up, a solid VPN and something brewing and the weeks will fly by (relatively speaking).
Old Sep 16th 2015, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Super_Hans, thanks for the advice, it really is much appreciated, at least i have some idea what lies ahead, Getting my Laptop sorted with VPN, but what is OSN? I have heard stories about the 'Tea' that is brewed. Thanks again.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

OSN is the satellite tv provider for the region. Pretty good, not censored and very similar to Sky, if you want live premiership you'll also need a subscription to Bien sports.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by super_hans
Bien sports.
sounds "good" but it's actually Bein Sports
Old Sep 19th 2015, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by johnnyjones61
I am wondering how safe it is in terms of travel and movement through Saudi, great to hear any feedback about this
Originally Posted by max666
Yeah you should be perfectly fine,
You won't be 'perfectly' fine if you travel too extensively and make yourself a target of opportunity. Take all personal security precautions you feel are necessary when in a country where there are too many firearms and attacks (stabbings, shootings and bombings) have occurred. Realise that the message is being delivered in mosques that extremism is unacceptable, and the main populous will not support such behaviour, but that daesh are 'everywhere'. Last time I was there daesh were trying to go No.1 for the MoI families.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Bitzer is an unknown quantity at this point

Buraidah is fine. Dull, but fine. Yes it's more conservative but being mindful of the local culture makes for an easy time. LaPalma is pretty well kitted out and has a lot of expats, most in education. Some locals too - so it's not quite like a Riyadh compound - it's not a sealed bubble cut off from the outside - so careful with the 'tea' topic. VPN mandatory to stream the RWC as the lounge area has BEIN only! (OSN carries all the matches). PM me if you need more detail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.