Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If you had the choice AD or Dubai ??

If you had the choice AD or Dubai ??

Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

markhighpeak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you had the choice AD or Dubai ??

Thanks for all of the above I can't wait to come out and see first hand what it's all like.

The schools are obviously key if I need to bring the children out, and Dubai does have a lot more than AD. Either way, both places seem really cool, and next week will give me a big insight into what lies ahead.

Would everyone think that 18,000 Dhs a month will get a good family home in either place, because if you look on the websites from Googling "property in Dubai to rent", all you get back is buy this or that from £50,000, then when you look they are about 25,000,000 Dhs, which is scary. They don't seem to have the websites like our estate agents have.

I've heard the Irish Bar is a good place to drink, so I'll be checking that place out ASAP
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
Beach parties??? Am i missing something??
Originally Posted by Chris79
Yeah, share the knowledge please...... sounds like my kinda thing
Started last month - Lebansese and Egyptian party mafia take turns at organising. Leaves from Al Bateen Marina Fri 9.30 - 11.30 ish (a shuttle boat service). All in deal...limit on numbers so have to book. I'll track down the name/numbers for both and PM it to you .
Old Jun 11th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

You will struggle to find a family home for Dhs 18000 per month in Abu Dhabi - prices are rising daily and very difficult to find . You will have more choice in Dubai but not sure about prices as we moved from there years ago.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

I'm with Beardman - wild horses couldn't drag me to live in Dubai. It's one big dust bowl-construction site-traffic jam. Yes it has a ski slope and the world's tallest building etc etc but hey, it's only an hour's drive away if that's what floats your boat.
Mind you, I'm not with Beardman when he mentioned a "quiet social life" in AD - my social life is exhausting!
Markhighpeak - nearly all landlords insist on a year's rent up front, that's perfectly the norm here, so a figure of Dhs18k per month is a bit meaningless.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

DaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markhighpeak
I've heard the Irish Bar is a good place to drink, so I'll be checking that place out ASAP
I'd say Irish village is good but not great. Just don't expect too much customer service from the waitresses...
Old Jun 14th 2008, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

You could always look at Al Ain - You could get all that AD or Dubai offer on the weekends - great family life, green, and 18K per month would get you a great villa, loads of people now moving here and commuting

Originally Posted by markhighpeak
Thanks for all of the above I can't wait to come out and see first hand what it's all like.

The schools are obviously key if I need to bring the children out, and Dubai does have a lot more than AD. Either way, both places seem really cool, and next week will give me a big insight into what lies ahead.

Would everyone think that 18,000 Dhs a month will get a good family home in either place, because if you look on the websites from Googling "property in Dubai to rent", all you get back is buy this or that from £50,000, then when you look they are about 25,000,000 Dhs, which is scary. They don't seem to have the websites like our estate agents have.

Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

markhighpeak is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that shammy...

I've had a look at the Al Ain and it does seem like a nice place, but I'm not sure about a daily commute of that distance ??? One site said its 1.5 hours each way , so if I put that on top of my construction hours, I'd be in for a very long day. It would be like travelling from Manchester to Birmingham daily.

I have a freind in Sharjah which seems quite cheap (by the standards of the other two places) but it seems a lot more conservative....

Roll on thursday when I'll get a better feel for the place..........