Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If there was a property crash in Dubai..

If there was a property crash in Dubai..

Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:27 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If there was a property crash in Dubai..

Originally Posted by GarethR
Don't know about Barclays, but HSBC is related to the UK arm in name only, and it doesn't seem to be any better than any other local bank, and it's also much more limited in the range of properties it will lend on than a lot of them.

That's one of the other things that makes me suspicious of local mortgages; the fact that the developers do sweetheart deals with lenders to prevent them lending on other developers' properties. When you can go to any lender in Dubai to get a mortgage on any property, then we might be interested. But probably not
I think if the properties "corrected" and the massive influx of new releases reduced prices by a significant amount, i could be tempted to buy.

however, it would only be if it was ridiculously cheap, and if at worst, i could write it off if need be.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Wait til they build the Burj al Shwarma.!!!!
Give it a few years - many buildings will be renamed b-al-shawarma- what with their quality - the plaster will start to peel and chunks of it will fall off
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:52 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Give it a few years - many buildings will be renamed b-al-shawarma- what with their quality - the plaster will start to peel and chunks of it will fall off
I'm off to design the Burj-al-Shisha, with real smoke coming from it.

Then I'll design the Burj-al-LandCruiser, with flashing lights and blacked-out windows, naturally.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:13 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Is January 10th in Islamic calender the equivalent of April 1st?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I'm off to design the Burj-al-Shisha, with real smoke coming from it.
Sharjah beat you to it. There is a 42 storey shisha there - picture of the shisha building on the right:scared:

http://www.7days.ae/2007/01/10/sharj...kyscraper.html
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Is January 10th in Islamic calender the equivalent of April 1st?
Yep - it also occurs every 28 days
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:41 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - it also occurs every 28 days
.... so it was built by a woman then....

(MJC grabs hard hat and waits for the inevitable shoit to hit the fan)
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MJC
.... so it was built by a woman then....
Nope....I meant the loonar calendar - so definitely male
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:58 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Nope....I meant the loonar calendar - so definitely male
Yeah, i know what you mean, and once every 28 days...

In the words of the song...

(everyone sing along in their best Australian accent)

I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky.....
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:50 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Its no longer if.....the correcton is already happening.

The question is when will the panic selling start that will precipitate the big crash.

The stock markets in the GCC were hopelessly overvalued and they corrected then crashed, its the same dumb punters who own all the property so once the word gets out it wont take long for an actual crash to begin.

The problem is a huge number of so called investors have ignored the fact that what goes up can also come down.

Frankly im all for spreading the word that the crash has begun and that people should sell now before its too late. this place exists on rumour and gossip, so if we can precipitate a crash then in six months time we can all buy a house at a sensible price with a gift of a mortgage.

remember....just tell eveyone you know/meet or have any interaction with that the impossible has happened and that the sky is falling in.

cheap houses all round
Old Jan 10th 2007, 1:32 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Its no longer if.....the correcton is already happening.

The question is when will the panic selling start that will precipitate the big crash.

The stock markets in the GCC were hopelessly overvalued and they corrected then crashed, its the same dumb punters who own all the property so once the word gets out it wont take long for an actual crash to begin.

The problem is a huge number of so called investors have ignored the fact that what goes up can also come down.

Frankly im all for spreading the word that the crash has begun and that people should sell now before its too late. this place exists on rumour and gossip, so if we can precipitate a crash then in six months time we can all buy a house at a sensible price with a gift of a mortgage.

remember....just tell eveyone you know/meet or have any interaction with that the impossible has happened and that the sky is falling in.

cheap houses all round
Sounds like a plan Shiva!
Hope you had a great holiday, ill give you a call in a mo.

rgds
JD
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:48 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
The problem is a huge number of so called investors have ignored the fact that what goes up can also come down
Just today I was talking to intelligent people who've bought places here, who simply refused to countenance the idea that property prices in Dubai could ever fall...
Old Jan 10th 2007, 3:31 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by GarethR
Just today I was talking to intelligent people who've bought places here, who simply refused to countenance the idea that property prices in Dubai could ever fall...
Even in the face of published figures????!

Jeez....They cover supply and demand basics in secondary school
Old Jan 10th 2007, 4:42 pm
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold

I wish we had bought when we first got here we have a pretty crap housing allowance but it would have covered the mortgage of a decent size villa or apartment but now it would even cover a 2 bed in the springs we definatly missed the boat ... although in defence of those that have bought most of them only did because their housing allowence covers the mortgage so really they have nothing to lose so why not buy...........
Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:00 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by sassy
I wish we had bought when we first got here we have a pretty crap housing allowance but it would have covered the mortgage of a decent size villa or apartment but now it would even cover a 2 bed in the springs we definatly missed the boat ... although in defence of those that have bought most of them only did because their housing allowence covers the mortgage so really they have nothing to lose so why not buy...........
I think Shiva is onto something.
Lets all propagate a rumour that the massive correction has begun.!
Once it's all calmed down ill invite you all to a house-warming party at my villa on the palm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.