Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If I am made redundant....

If I am made redundant....

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default If I am made redundant....

and on a 2 year contract having only completed say 18 months, what benefits am I legally entitled to?

Would I in any way be entitled to my retention bonus due mid year?

(I haven't been made redundant... yet)
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice
Default Re: If I am made redundant....

Let me guess this is for a dumb friend of yours who undertook no due dilligence.

Apply the KISS principle - you are in the UAE and have no real rights worth speaking of (except maybe the right to be jailed without charge).

You will be lucky if you get paid the notice and relocation $$ in your employment contract - if you have one.

You could always do a runner but Im sure they will crack down on it soon with prison type guards at the airport making sure the you cant escape.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:34 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mantronic
Let me guess this is for a dumb friend of yours who undertook no due dilligence.

Apply the KISS principle - you are in the UAE and have no real rights worth speaking of (except maybe the right to be jailed without charge).

You will be lucky if you get paid the notice and relocation $$ in your employment contract - if you have one.

You could always do a runner but Im sure they will crack down on it soon with prison type guards at the airport making sure the you cant escape.
And in what way is your reply helpful to the OP?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your contract - in any case guess you would be entitled at minimun (subject to company having cash) to:

Gratuity (for period worked);
1 month's notice period/salary
Encashment of any untaken leave
Ticket to home country (after visa cancellation)
If made redundant before retention pay out day, then I don't think you would get that bonus.

Good luck, hopefully the worst won't happen
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

niddy is on a distinguished road

He gets more than that: early termination of a fixed term contract entitles the terminated employee to either 3 months salary or the salary of the remaining period on his contract, whichever is shorter. You only get gratuity if you completed a full year of work btw.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Along with the ticket home, by law, must they pay for shipping of my personal belongings, such as boxes and the car I bought?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:50 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Along with the ticket home, by law, must they pay for shipping of my personal belongings, such as boxes and the car I bought?
Don't even consider shipping your car home...the cost of its conversion plus HM Customs & Excise would probably exceed its value. That piece of priceless information came from Car Talk on Radio 2/4 not sure which.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

Again - if its not in your contract its unlikely you will get it.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lionheart
Don't even consider shipping your car home...the cost of its conversion plus HM Customs & Excise would probably exceed its value. That piece of priceless information came from Car Talk on Radio 2/4 not sure which.
If the company pays for my shipping (that is what I want to find out), conversion will cost me about AUD$10 000. I've looked into it (obviously from Aus not UK :P)
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Again - if its not in your contract its unlikely you will get it.
Contract or not, if its part of the labor law the point is moot.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Really - why put anything in writing if you cant contract out of the labor law.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Possibly because you cannot break the law?

Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Possibly because you cannot break the law?

Maybe the UAE has this forest gump sort of simplicity to its legal system in which case your friend will be fine.

In the first world you can contract out of much of the civil law.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Actually Im brave enough to admit that I'm planning for my own situation.

If I get the brown handshake I want to know what I can raise with my company.

Anyway Forest Gump is doing fine and continuing to provide shock & awe.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:13 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Im brave enough to admit that I'm planning for my own situation.

If I get the brown handshake I want to know what I can raise with my company.

Anyway Forest Gump is doing fine and continuing to provide shock & awe.

were you employed locally?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.