British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   If anyone could help:Baku: Salary/Living cost advice needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/if-anyone-could-help-baku-salary-living-cost-advice-needed-810417/)

movingfan Sep 26th 2013 10:09 am

If anyone could help:Baku: Salary/Living cost advice needed

Dear all,

I am living in London currently and my company asked me if I am interested moving to Baku.
As a single man, I am quite flexible in moving however, I have no idea how much salary could keep my life comfortable there.Now I earn like 65k Sterlings in London so how much I should ask for my company for moving to Baku in salarywise.

Really sorry to put this kind of question in the forum however I am just very confused about the cost there. Thank you in advance.

PS: I am not a big spender but love traveling and sports, also dancing music.

Mogs Sep 26th 2013 10:19 am

Re: If anyone could help:Baku: Salary/Living cost advice needed

Originally Posted by movingfan (Post 10918779)
Dear all,

I am living in London currently and my company asked me if I am interested moving to Baku.
As a single man, I am quite flexible in moving however, I have no idea how much salary could keep my life comfortable there.Now I earn like 65k Sterlings in London so how much I should ask for my company for moving to Baku in salarywise.

Really sorry to put this kind of question in the forum however I am just very confused about the cost there. Thank you in advance.

PS: I am not a big spender but love traveling and sports, also dancing music.

Are they going to provide accommodation, transport, etc ? Apartments cost around USD 1,500 to 2,500 per month rent.

My company provides our employees accommodation, transport and a daily USD 50 living allowance in cash, all in addition to their salary (which is sufficient to allow them not spend any of their salary whilst living there).

movingfan Sep 26th 2013 10:24 am

Thank you M for the fast reply.
They will supply allowance for the accomodation around 1000-2000 USD I think.
My friends told me Baku is quite expensive so they said I should ask for the salary not lower than 50k Sterlings there. I wish I knew better Baku as I have never look at this part of the world!

movingfan Sep 26th 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 10918799)
Are they going to provide accommodation, transport, etc ? Apartments cost around USD 1,500 to 2,500 per month rent.

My company provides our employees accommodation, transport and a daily USD 50 living allowance in cash, all in addition to their salary (which is sufficient to allow them not spend any of their salary whilst living there).

Thank you M for the fast reply.:)
My friends told me Baku is quite expensive so they said I should ask for the salary not lower than 50k Sterlings there. I wish I knew better Baku as I have never look at this part of the world!

Mogs Sep 26th 2013 10:26 am

Originally Posted by movingfan (Post 10918804)
Thank you M for the fast reply.

You currently get 65k - ask for that plus accommodation allowance.

I don't believe Baku is any more expensive than London.

movingfan Sep 26th 2013 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 10918806)
You currently get 65k - ask for that plus accommodation allowance.

I don't believe Baku is any more expensive than London.

Thanks M.

The problem is that when they talk to me , they said it would be housing allowance added but the HR told me as Baku living cost is lower than London's so they may adjust the salary in Baku as I will be transferred as an international employee with housing allownace, tickets visiting home and health care etc.

Thats why I am not sure if I should say 50k sterlings (before tax) for not pissing them off and also make sure I could live with a comfy life in Baku , plus housing allowance , health care etc.

Mogs Sep 26th 2013 10:34 am

Originally Posted by movingfan (Post 10918812)
Thanks M.

The problem is that when they talk to me , they said it would be housing allowance added but the HR told me as Baku living cost is lower than London's so they may adjust the salary in Baku as I will be transferred as an international employee with housing allownace, tickets visiting home and health care etc.

Thats why I am not sure if I should say 50k sterlings (before tax) for not pissing them off and also make sure I could live with a comfy life in Baku , plus housing allowance , health care etc.

Counter that argument by asking why would you consider a pay cut to relocate ? (Unless you lose your job in London if you don't move to Baku)

I think you need to speak to the relevant manger to will decide the salary, etc (and bypass HR if they are as useful as all other HR depts I have encountered).

movingfan Sep 26th 2013 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 10918816)
Counter that argument by asking why would you consider a pay cut to relocate ? (Unless you lose your job in London if you don't move to Baku)

I think you need to speak to the relevant manger to will decide the salary, etc (and bypass HR if they are as useful as all other HR depts I have encountered).

Thanks!
I applied for relocation early this year but Baku was not my top list ; however I am willing to change the environment.
I will speak to the relevant manager: usually there would be no paycut for international moving .

Thanks indeed! Very helpful.

Meow Sep 26th 2013 1:42 pm

Friends have just moved to Baku from Dubai. Rents in the newer buildings are much like Dubai, or the nicer parts anyway, so pricier than the UK. Going out is fairly expensive if you go to smarter hotels, but there are lots of cheaper options. Groceries are cheap in the markets, but imported goods can be expensive.

movingfan Sep 26th 2013 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10919087)
Friends have just moved to Baku from Dubai. Rents in the newer buildings are much like Dubai, or the nicer parts anyway, so pricier than the UK. Going out is fairly expensive if you go to smarter hotels, but there are lots of cheaper options. Groceries are cheap in the markets, but imported goods can be expensive.

Thanks!
I did the comparing by Expatistan : London is 51.8% more expensive than Baku. I guess it is not comparing in the comprehensive way: from what I read, it could be quite unprepared if I use the Expatistan data.

Tockalosh Sep 28th 2013 10:36 am

The more Sterlings the betters it is, you need to be look at the price index for meats and breads to get a good feels for weather it is nots worth it

Good looks

OleJanx Sep 28th 2013 12:46 pm

From personal experience of Azerbaijan, there are a lot of hidden costs, payable in U.S. dollars, if you want ANYTHING doing. The place still has the corruption problems endemic of ex-Soviet states, and unless your company is linked to AIOC, the oil company, Azerbaijan can be extremely frustrating.

movingfan Sep 29th 2013 6:29 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10921618)
From personal experience of Azerbaijan, there are a lot of hidden costs, payable in U.S. dollars, if you want ANYTHING doing. The place still has the corruption problems endemic of ex-Soviet states, and unless your company is linked to AIOC, the oil company, Azerbaijan can be extremely frustrating.

do you hint that it would be a lot of hidden cost as threatening by police when driving in daily life etc?

OleJanx Sep 29th 2013 10:34 am

Originally Posted by movingfan (Post 10922356)
do you hint that it would be a lot of hidden cost as threatening by police when driving in daily life etc?

In Azerbaijan locals have white number plates, foriegners have yellow number plates. Guess who gets pulled over? The thing to bear in mind that a clapped out Lada plod wagon with no fuel ( they are apparently supposed to fuel the cars from 'Fines' ho ho) isn't much of a challenge. A dirty car ( or better, dirty number plates...) a honk on the hooter and a cheerful wave, and forget about them. One of their favourite places is just past the mosque and before the Crescent Beach Hotel, but be cheerful and deny everything!

movingfan Sep 29th 2013 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10922564)
In Azerbaijan locals have white number plates, foriegners have yellow number plates. Guess who gets pulled over? The thing to bear in mind that a clapped out Lada plod wagon with no fuel ( they are apparently supposed to fuel the cars from 'Fines' ho ho) isn't much of a challenge. A dirty car ( or better, dirty number plates...) a honk on the hooter and a cheerful wave, and forget about them. One of their favourite places is just past the mosque and before the Crescent Beach Hotel, but be cheerful and deny everything!

It sounds.... fun:o

I guess better not to drive there! what would be the biggest hidden cost if not driving...hope it is a safe place for expats.