British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   ID card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/id-card-696021/)

Millhouse Dec 6th 2010 2:19 pm

ID card

I've been told that the deadline is 31st December. Is that true?

Bahtatboy Dec 6th 2010 2:27 pm

Re: ID card

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9024214)
I've been told that the deadline is 31st December. Is that true?

Hope not, coz the earliest appointment (according to my assistant) is 8th Feb.:(

Millhouse Dec 6th 2010 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9024234)
Hope not, coz the earliest appointment (according to my assistant) is 8th Feb.:(

perfect. Just didn't want to get hit with 4 sets of fines.

Blue Cat Dec 6th 2010 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9024234)

can you believe her?

deadline is when you renew your visa ;)

Millhouse Dec 6th 2010 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9024242)
can you believe her?

deadline is when you renew your visa ;)

We got 4 new visas done 2 weeks ago :frown:

Bahtatboy Dec 6th 2010 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9024242)
can you believe her?

No, but she has this hypnotic effect on me...:blink:

Ethos83 Dec 6th 2010 2:39 pm

You've been in the UAE for a few years now. Why did you wait this long?

I got mine the first weekend it was formally announced in the papers, when the deadline was 31 December....2008. Got it all sorted out by end of October that year, before the madness began. Was in and out in twenty minutes flat.

Blue Cat Dec 6th 2010 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9024254)
We got 4 new visas done 2 weeks ago :frown:

and when does your visa run out?

Bahtatboy Dec 6th 2010 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9024260)

I got mine the first weekend it was formally announced in the papers, when the deadline was 31 December....2008. Got it all sorted out by end of October that year, before the madness began. Was in and out in twenty minutes flat.

Have you ever used it? I've been here over 2 years now and have never had occasion to use it (at least I've never been asked for it).

Blue Cat Dec 6th 2010 2:44 pm

clevershite :rofl:

Blue Cat Dec 6th 2010 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9024270)
Have you ever used it? I've been here over 2 years now and have never had occasion to use it (at least I've never been asked for it).

you might need it if you happen to be in Al Mullah Police Station getting criminal clearance, at any point in time ...

Ethos83 Dec 6th 2010 2:56 pm

Never.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9024270)

Millhouse Dec 6th 2010 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9024269)
and when does your visa run out?

3 years time.

Millhouse Dec 6th 2010 3:02 pm

because:

1) I didn't need it;
2) It was almost impossible to get an appointment in AD when I tried in 2008/2009;
3) My government employer promised to organise it, then let us all down at the last minute (but agreed to cover fines which never came); and
4) I am now on a new visa.

Ethos83 Dec 6th 2010 3:08 pm

Typical of the UAE.

When I went to the ID card centre on Hessa Street back in 2008, the building was so new that you still had to drive over unpaved dirt to get to the parking area, and this wasn't a flat area but one that involved a dip before rising up to the centre forecourt.

I drove past it the other day and noticed....the unpaved dirt is still there. Two years, eh? Just like all those incomplete roundabouts on Al Khail.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9024310)
because:

1) I didn't need it;
2) It was almost impossible to get an appointment in AD when I tried in 2008/2009;
3) My government employer promised to organise it, then let us all down at the last minute (but agreed to cover fines which never came); and
4) I am now on a new visa.