Reload this Page >

I.T. Work In Dubai advice please

I.T. Work In Dubai advice please

Old Sep 5th 2004, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

EBrant is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I.T. Work In Dubai advice please

Hello,

My name is Ernest I am a 39 year old computer and computer network engineer with 15 years plus experiance, in maintaining, upgrading and troubleshooting Computer systems and Computer Networks of all sizes. I have excelent references and qualifications I tend to be at the top of my profession in the UK and work on short term contracts for large blue chip companies. I have always been interested in the idea of working abroad and Dubai looks like and interesting place. I do not work for a particular company i.e. I am self employed and have my own company.

Can any one please give me some advice on obtaing I.T. Related work in Dubia partucularly in relation to temporary contract work for example:

Is there any I.T. Work available in Dubai?
Are there any I.T. Job agentcies in Dubai I can approach for assistance?
Are there any big companies looking for I.T Staff
Where would I go to obtain a work permit etc, and could I only get the work permit once I have landed a contract or job?
Are living expensed high in Dubai?

Any advice on this subject would be most welcome, thank you for your time
Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks every one.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Calgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really niceCalgarian is just really nice
Default Re: I.T. Work In Dubai advice please

Originally Posted by EBrant
Hello,

My name is Ernest I am a 39 year old computer and computer network engineer with 15 years plus experiance, in maintaining, upgrading and troubleshooting Computer systems and Computer Networks of all sizes. I have excelent references and qualifications I tend to be at the top of my profession in the UK and work on short term contracts for large blue chip companies. I have always been interested in the idea of working abroad and Dubai looks like and interesting place. I do not work for a particular company i.e. I am self employed and have my own company.

Can any one please give me some advice on obtaing I.T. Related work in Dubia partucularly in relation to temporary contract work for example:

Where would I go to obtain a work permit etc, and could I only get the work permit once I have landed a contract or job?

Thanks every one.
Hi Ernest,

I am also a computer programmer here in Canada. When I decided that I will move to dubai I applied in "****************" you can go to there website and take more information there and also in previous threads there are cpl of websites that belongs to recruitment agencies try that .As far as jobs in Dubai goes they r little slow but the offers u get from them is much better then anybody .So If I were u i would start from there.

Cheers

Khan
Old Sep 6th 2004, 9:39 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Hello,

Thanks every one.
have mailed u re this. reply back and will send u some info.

It may help.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

goingdubai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgarian
Hi Ernest,

I am also a computer programmer here in Canada. When I decided that I will move to dubai I applied in "****************" you can go to there website and take more information there and also in previous threads there are cpl of websites that belongs to recruitment agencies try that .As far as jobs in Dubai goes they r little slow but the offers u get from them is much better then anybody .So If I were u i would start from there.

Cheers

Khan
be careful and check out the threads regarding **************** before you apply with them. what they are offering is not the traditional recruiters offer and some here are even doubting the seriousness of their business...just use your own common sense.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 10:54 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Originally Posted by goingdubai
be careful and check out the threads regarding **************** before you apply with them. what they are offering is not the traditional recruiters offer and some here are even doubting the seriousness of their business...just use your own common sense.
i thought it was a little odd that they wanted 80 US Dollars to start doing any work for you... not the usual way to do business. also the billing address is in Canada and the ofices are in Dubai.... seems a little odd...
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
i thought it was a little odd that they wanted 80 US Dollars to start doing any work for you... not the usual way to do business. also the billing address is in Canada and the ofices are in Dubai.... seems a little odd...
they don't have offices in dubai, they only have an operation in canada. they claim that they send your resume to agents and companies in dubai...which is not much more than a resume distribution service. however, on top of that they charge YOU when you get a job.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:54 am
The 5th Amendment

they don't have offices in dubai, they only have an operation in canada. they claim that they send your resume to agents and companies in dubai...which is not much more than a resume distribution service. however, on top of that they charge YOU when you get a job.
hmm slicker operation that i thought. so what i do not get is how they are getting away with it as now it seems even more risky and a complete con artist job.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

hmm slicker operation that i thought. so what i do not get is how they are getting away with it as now it seems even more risky and a complete con artist job.
they make it appear as if they were a recruiting agency, but when you read the details in different sections of the website, such as FAQ, process, terms, etc. you find out quickly how they operate. they make money right of the start with your 'processing' fee (according to them just to make sure that you will go through when you receive a job offer from them...to make sure you are 'committed'...have you ever heard such ****). so your resume gets blasted out to hundreds of agents and companies according to them and when you receive an offer, they keep half your first months salary. recruiters in dubai are not allowed to charge the employee as far as i know...only the employer for their services. they circumvent this nicely by being a canadian based company simply distributing resumes. also they explain on their website that the job postings they have there are not actual postings with actual salaries. instead, they are supposed to be bundled jobs that fit into the same category with an average salary. never heard of another company doing that either. since they explain everything they do, and the way they do, it is legitimate in that sense. but like i said, a little common sense will make clear what kind of 'business' they really are in...imagine the number of people that are willing to cough up the initial processing fee seeing the above average salaried jobs on their website...that should make for a nice revenue stream just by itself
Old Sep 6th 2004, 12:10 pm
The 5th Amendment

they make it appear as if they were a recruiting agency, but when you read the details in different sections of the website, such as FAQ, process, terms, etc. you find out quickly how they operate. they make money right of the start with your 'processing' fee (according to them just to make sure that you will go through when you receive a job offer from them...to make sure you are 'committed'...have you ever heard such ****). so your resume gets blasted out to hundreds of agents and companies according to them and when you receive an offer, they keep half your first months salary. recruiters in dubai are not allowed to charge the employee as far as i know...only the employer for their services. they circumvent this nicely by being a canadian based company simply distributing resumes. also they explain on their website that the job postings they have there are not actual postings with actual salaries. instead, they are supposed to be bundled jobs that fit into the same category with an average salary. never heard of another company doing that either. since they explain everything they do, and the way they do, it is legitimate in that sense. but like i said, a little common sense will make clear what kind of 'business' they really are in...imagine the number of people that are willing to cough up the initial processing fee seeing the above average salaried jobs on their website...that should make for a nice revenue stream just by itself
have u thought of joining MI5 by any chance?

hmmm i hope others read this one and take heed as it did seem very very odd indeed. u seem to get accepted for whatever job u apply for as well so it is a great revenue stream....

karma on its way for the good info and patince to read all that blurb on their site....
Old Sep 6th 2004, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

hmmm i hope others read this one and take heed as it did seem very very odd indeed. u seem to get accepted for whatever job u apply for as well so it is a great revenue stream....

karma on its way for the good info and patince to read all that blurb on their site....
i wasn't really planning on joining mi5, but maybe i should keep my career options open..
thanks, it took some patience indeed. and just keep in mind that some of those companies post in these forums as well. i already saw one from dubai who claimed he got a job through one recruiting company and in reality he is part of that company. not necessarily a sign for being a good or bad recruiting company, but a sign how some try to influence public perception...not very professional in my opinion
Old Sep 6th 2004, 12:19 pm
The 5th Amendment

i wasn't really planning on joining mi5, but maybe i should keep my career options open..
thanks, it took some patience indeed. and just keep in mind that some of those companies post in these forums as well. i already saw one from dubai who claimed he got a job through one recruiting company and in reality he is part of that company. not necessarily a sign for being a good or bad recruiting company, but a sign how some try to influence public perception...not very professional in my opinion
have friends in the UK who are headhunters so know the score with who is professional and who is not..... right, better dosome work!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:43 pm
Kav
Just Joined

Kav is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys nice to see many folks interested on information or life styles in dubai.

i am am in dubai currently, i was living in canada since 1990 - i moved to dubai - 2000. i would like to give u a first hand experience. dubia is an awesome place, the weather is great. i somewhat agree with some folks that dubai is a racist place - but honestly - really! which part of the country isnt - really seriously think hard prior to your response. please note this is just my opinion & in no way do i want to offend anyone. i work in a bank in dubai, i was literally stuck in a 9 to 5 rut. i searched for jobs in dubai but was not successful. i currently earn a great salary, company accomodation - & a great life style - weekends are clubing/pubing nites. i would recommend every one to reserch on dubai & go visit the country it will change your life. there are quite a few folks offering recruitment services to dubai on the net... please be careful who u deal with make sure u ask them technical questions i.e. salaries - visa process etc. there is a website www.**************** just like all u guys i was extremely skeptical to apply for a job as the wanted a registration fee. however this is the only company - where u can visit an office/talk to a real person. i was not aware of the process on how to ge to dubai etc. i got a job thru jobsindubai, their process was lenghthy their site says about a year but actually takes 18 months plus. i later found out that the immigration process in dubai is really slow & quite different then the western part of the world. Jobs in dubai (JID) helped me a lot - i was a bit paranoid & frustrated as i paid the registration fee - i kept calling them every month - & @ one point asked for a refund - to my surprise i actually got it - but as i was contact by an angency in dubai stating that JID forwarded the resume - i had a phone interview (twice) & then was sent an conditional appointment letter to the JID office. quite embarassed i paid the registration fee - & waited for about 2 months before my "vist" visa was approved - after almost 6 months of being in dubai i had to upgrade to a work visa - & now i am quite setteled here - i would stronglt recommned to vist **************** - however beware the time lines - add 6 months easy to any process - currenlty i am aware that recruitment is quite slow in dubai as they are pressuring companies ti hire locals dfrom here. do try - or just visit dubia to see this wonderful place, thnaks guys – this is a generic posting on

Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:50 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kav
hi guys nice to see many folks interested on information or life styles in dubai.

i am am in dubai currently, i was living in canada since 1990 - i moved to dubai - 2000. i would like to give u a first hand experience. dubia is an awesome place, the weather is great. i somewhat agree with some folks that dubai is a racist place - but honestly - really! which part of the country isnt - really seriously think hard prior to your response. please note this is just my opinion & in no way do i want to offend anyone. i work in a bank in dubai, i was literally stuck in a 9 to 5 rut. i searched for jobs in dubai but was not successful. i currently earn a great salary, company accomodation - & a great life style - weekends are clubing/pubing nites. i would recommend every one to reserch on dubai & go visit the country it will change your life. there are quite a few folks offering recruitment services to dubai on the net... please be careful who u deal with make sure u ask them technical questions i.e. salaries - visa process etc. there is a website www.**************** just like all u guys i was extremely skeptical to apply for a job as the wanted a registration fee. however this is the only company - where u can visit an office/talk to a real person. i was not aware of the process on how to ge to dubai etc. i got a job thru jobsindubai, their process was lenghthy their site says about a year but actually takes 18 months plus. i later found out that the immigration process in dubai is really slow & quite different then the western part of the world. Jobs in dubai (JID) helped me a lot - i was a bit paranoid & frustrated as i paid the registration fee - i kept calling them every month - & @ one point asked for a refund - to my surprise i actually got it - but as i was contact by an angency in dubai stating that JID forwarded the resume - i had a phone interview (twice) & then was sent an conditional appointment letter to the JID office. quite embarassed i paid the registration fee - & waited for about 2 months before my "vist" visa was approved - after almost 6 months of being in dubai i had to upgrade to a work visa - & now i am quite setteled here - i would stronglt recommned to vist **************** - however beware the time lines - add 6 months easy to any process - currenlty i am aware that recruitment is quite slow in dubai as they are pressuring companies ti hire locals dfrom here. do try - or just visit dubia to see this wonderful place, thnaks guys – this is a generic posting on

hi Kav,

welcome the forum........... just one question....... why did u revive this dead thread and post info on so many other things in the same thread...... just wondering.

Good to meet u though.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

EBrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for all your input
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

fat boy slim is an unknown quantity at this point

hello E,Its a bit tricky, especially with the IT feild the market is really saturated. There are tons & tons of employees from India, Pakistan & neighbouring nations who provide their services for a lower pay scale. every tom,dick & harry - is into IT (not to discount the profession or anyone). It was very difficult for me to get a job in dubai - its an awesome place to be but the employment culture is really weird. No cares what your qualifications are - its how much u can do it for. however I dont want to disarry your ambitions - I am there currently & believe u me it cant get any better..
The weather is great, tax free income & too many fringe benefits. I was in Canada for quite some time to & desperately wanted to start over. It’s really difficult to get a job in Dubai - they have some strange requirements!! I one day came across a company call www.**************** - now just like all off us I was very skeptical - I however was desperate to make the move & decided to sign up with them - they are internet based - after a few months I started calling them up to pursue what was happening. - I thought my registration was a total waste - I got a call approx after 1.3 yrs & was asked if I was still looking for a job in Dubai etc - obviously I answered yes. I was told that a certain bank was interested in me & wanted to hire around 6 candidates. I got a phone interview which lasted about 1 hour - & was later told will be notified of the status. It took almost 6 weeks before I was given a job offer/contract. however I am grateful to **************** - the only think that frustrated me was the long wait & Dubai has a visit visa + later on a job visa, of course the company picks the tab - its been 3 yrs now & I am going strong in bur-Dubai working for a local bank - the money is great, life is good. So I recommend visit recruitment website, do bit of research - make sure u are ready for Dubai - all the best. Take care

Hello,

Thanks every one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.