Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

i-phone advice, anyone?

i-phone advice, anyone?

Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default i-phone advice, anyone?

I want to get my middle daughter, who lives in the UK, an i-phone for her birthday.

Are they on sale in the UAE yet, and if so will they work with a UK sim card?

If not, can I get her one in the UK on a phone-only basis, or do I have to get it with a monthly contract?
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:05 am

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: i-phone advice, anyone?

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
I want to get my middle daughter, who lives in the UK, an i-phone for her birthday.

If not, can I get her one in the UK on a phone-only basis, or do I have to get it with a monthly contract?
Ceecee is the gadget girl..and she's in bed.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

What's special about them? No seriously!!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by beebee
Ceecee is the gadget girl..and she's in bed.
Still...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
What's special about them? No seriously!!
well, not a lot apart from apple's excellence in industrial design & ergonomics... but for a little girl having the in-thing means a lot, i believe...
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:16 am

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

well, not a lot apart from apple's excellence in industrial design & ergonomics... but for a little girl having the in-thing means a lot, i believe...
Oh of course..
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:17 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes, they lead in the world in designing crap short-life batteries.

Here's a brief synopsis:
Overpriced, overfeatured trinkets made in sweatshop conditions and pushed at fashion-victim consumers with more money than sense.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

She wraps you around her little finger so easily....Just like mine....
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they are officially available outside the States yet!
I've heard that in the states you can only buy them tied to an AT&T contract. Not sure if that is true or not.

Ebay might be your best bet!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I don't think they are officially available outside the States yet!
I've heard that in the states you can only buy them tied to an AT&T contract. Not sure if that is true or not.

Ebay might be your best bet!
no, the latest news is that they sorted the battery problem, dropped the price by 200 dollars and released themselves from the at&t contract thing. record sales have resulted. there was a clip about it on BBCW, that's what gotme thinking... my daughter, bless her, only asked for a pink LG phone - i'd like to exceed her expectations!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

no, the latest news is that they sorted the battery problem, dropped the price by 200 dollars and released themselves from the at&t contract thing. record sales have resulted. there was a clip about it on BBCW, that's what gotme thinking... my daughter, bless her, only asked for a pink LG phone - i'd like to exceed her expectations!
Im always behind the times!
see they are going for around GP350 on ebay!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Im always behind the times!
see they are going for around GP350 on ebay!
Hey, thanks for looking that up! Is it pucker to buy things off e-bay? I have never tried...
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:47 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

not available here or Uk, not able to use in uk even if you buy a US one. Unless you go through a LOT of hassle in unlocking it and by doing that you void your warranty.

It is THE fashion item of the moment but frankly its an over rated hunk of junk. Very pretty though it is
Old Sep 15th 2007, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey, thanks for looking that up! Is it pucker to buy things off e-bay? I have never tried...
Shakh just make sure you buy from someone who has plenty of decent feedback.

Ive bought PDA's and a few other things off there. never had a problem!

you'd better check out the question of whether it will actually work in the UK though!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:40 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

no, the latest news is that they sorted the battery problem, dropped the price by 200 dollars and released themselves from the at&t contract thing
The first two happened, the last one didn't. AT&T have the exclusive iPhone contract in the USA until at least 2009, and the chances are that you'll officially only be able to use a single iPhone carrier in the UK and other markets too.

However, unofficially, you *can* now unlock the iPhone to work with any GSM SIM card in the world It takes a bit of tech savvy though, it's not for novices, and it's possible that Apple could kill this loophole with the next iPhone firmware update. The companies producing the unlocking software are kinda-sorta saying that if this happens, you'll be able to get a free upgrade to re-unlock it again, so you pays your money, etc.

Originally Posted by shiva
It is THE fashion item of the moment but frankly its an over rated hunk of junk
Why "junk", out of interest? Its interface beats the shit out of anything else out there, and Apple are the first to get proper web surfing working in a portable device the way it should always have worked.

I can't wait to get one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.