British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   i-phone advice, anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/i-phone-advice-anyone-481294/)

shakh your bootie Sep 15th 2007 9:03 am

i-phone advice, anyone?

I want to get my middle daughter, who lives in the UK, an i-phone for her birthday.

Are they on sale in the UAE yet, and if so will they work with a UK sim card?

If not, can I get her one in the UK on a phone-only basis, or do I have to get it with a monthly contract?

beebee Sep 15th 2007 9:05 am

Re: i-phone advice, anyone?

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5314197)
I want to get my middle daughter, who lives in the UK, an i-phone for her birthday.

If not, can I get her one in the UK on a phone-only basis, or do I have to get it with a monthly contract?

Ceecee is the gadget girl..and she's in bed.

IndieG Sep 15th 2007 9:08 am

What's special about them? No seriously!!

oktoberon Sep 15th 2007 9:11 am

Originally Posted by beebee (Post 5314204)
Ceecee is the gadget girl..and she's in bed.

Still...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shakh your bootie Sep 15th 2007 9:12 am

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5314211)
What's special about them? No seriously!!

well, not a lot apart from apple's excellence in industrial design & ergonomics... but for a little girl having the in-thing means a lot, i believe...

beebee Sep 15th 2007 9:16 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5314224)
well, not a lot apart from apple's excellence in industrial design & ergonomics... but for a little girl having the in-thing means a lot, i believe...

Oh of course..

Vim Fuego Sep 15th 2007 9:17 am

Oh yes, they lead in the world in designing crap short-life batteries.

Here's a brief synopsis:
Overpriced, overfeatured trinkets made in sweatshop conditions and pushed at fashion-victim consumers with more money than sense.

oktoberon Sep 15th 2007 9:17 am

She wraps you around her little finger so easily....Just like mine....:rofl:

Inselaffen Sep 15th 2007 9:19 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5314197)

I don't think they are officially available outside the States yet!
I've heard that in the states you can only buy them tied to an AT&T contract. Not sure if that is true or not.

Ebay might be your best bet!

shakh your bootie Sep 15th 2007 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5314245)
I don't think they are officially available outside the States yet!
I've heard that in the states you can only buy them tied to an AT&T contract. Not sure if that is true or not.

Ebay might be your best bet!

no, the latest news is that they sorted the battery problem, dropped the price by 200 dollars and released themselves from the at&t contract thing. record sales have resulted. there was a clip about it on BBCW, that's what gotme thinking... my daughter, bless her, only asked for a pink LG phone - i'd like to exceed her expectations!

Inselaffen Sep 15th 2007 9:27 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5314254)
no, the latest news is that they sorted the battery problem, dropped the price by 200 dollars and released themselves from the at&t contract thing. record sales have resulted. there was a clip about it on BBCW, that's what gotme thinking... my daughter, bless her, only asked for a pink LG phone - i'd like to exceed her expectations!

Im always behind the times! :p
see they are going for around GP350 on ebay!

shakh your bootie Sep 15th 2007 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5314272)
Im always behind the times! :p
see they are going for around GP350 on ebay!

:) Hey, thanks for looking that up! Is it pucker to buy things off e-bay? I have never tried...

shiva Sep 15th 2007 9:47 am

not available here or Uk, not able to use in uk even if you buy a US one. Unless you go through a LOT of hassle in unlocking it and by doing that you void your warranty.

It is THE fashion item of the moment but frankly its an over rated hunk of junk. Very pretty though it is

Inselaffen Sep 15th 2007 11:54 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5314283)
:) Hey, thanks for looking that up! Is it pucker to buy things off e-bay? I have never tried...

Shakh just make sure you buy from someone who has plenty of decent feedback.

Ive bought PDA's and a few other things off there. never had a problem!

you'd better check out the question of whether it will actually work in the UK though!

Eeyore Sep 15th 2007 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5314254)
no, the latest news is that they sorted the battery problem, dropped the price by 200 dollars and released themselves from the at&t contract thing

The first two happened, the last one didn't. AT&T have the exclusive iPhone contract in the USA until at least 2009, and the chances are that you'll officially only be able to use a single iPhone carrier in the UK and other markets too.

However, unofficially, you *can* now unlock the iPhone to work with any GSM SIM card in the world :) It takes a bit of tech savvy though, it's not for novices, and it's possible that Apple could kill this loophole with the next iPhone firmware update. The companies producing the unlocking software are kinda-sorta saying that if this happens, you'll be able to get a free upgrade to re-unlock it again, so you pays your money, etc.

Originally Posted by shiva
It is THE fashion item of the moment but frankly its an over rated hunk of junk

Why "junk", out of interest? Its interface beats the shit out of anything else out there, and Apple are the first to get proper web surfing working in a portable device the way it should always have worked.

I can't wait to get one :thumbup: