Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

I need some advice badly

I need some advice badly

Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Nieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant futureNieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant futureNieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant futureNieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant futureNieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant futureNieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant futureNieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant future
Default I need some advice badly

Dear all,

I'm a Dutch citizen (but feel comfortable between the UK-people, no prob ;-) and I work at an European telecom company in Dubai (i'm still in my trial period). Next week I have a negotiation with my manager about my salary, because I'm thinking about signing a contract with the company.
But the problem is: I really don't have any clue about salaries here in Dubai!! What would be a good salary for me? I have a Master degree, 5 years experience in the required field and I work here as a project manager.

What would be the basic salary in my case?
Do I get any housing allowance? If yes, how much is appropiate?
And what about transportation costs? How much will those be?

Or, what would you ask if you were in my shoes?

I really hope that anyone of you could give me some information about this, because otherwise...

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:21 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need some advice badly

Hi and welcome - Like the user name...

Money is always as difficult one to advise people on as every-one has different expectations. There are just so many factors, for instance:

Why are you here (for the career experience, cultural experience or purely money)? - This will impact how much the money actually means to you.
How did you get here - Did they bring you over or did you get the job here - Expats who were "imported" by a company tend to get a slightly better package
Where do you want to live? - This will impact how much you need to ask for for rent and or housing allowance.
What form of transport are you / will you be using?
What do you do socially? How much do you need for that?
Are they providing medical insurance? (they should be)
Do you get at least one return ticket home each year? (you should be)

Also, look through the recruitment pages of Gulf News / Khaleej Times and get a feel for market salaries for your (or a similar) role.

Every-one circumstances and personal drivers are different. I have always weighed up all of the above (plus a small amount of savings) added on a bit more for good measure and gone with that figure. As long as I have a roof over my head, something to eat and a bit of "spends" I am a fairly happy little soul...

Sorry I can't be of more help but it really is for you to determine you own needs and worth, although hopefully the above may have assisted a bit..
Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the site

Anyway, there's a little bit about salaries in the faq's that cover some stuff, see if that helps...
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Nieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant futureNieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant futureNieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant futureNieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant futureNieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant futureNieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant futureNieuwsgierig_aagje has a brilliant future

Thank you Welivehere and Bob.

It remains difficult to get an indication of what I can ask. Some people I consulted gave me an answer varying from 2500 - 5500 US dollars. Now that didn't help me much..
I'll look up the FAQ's and the job advertorals in the newspapers. Hope that that will give me some answers I can use

Thanks again!
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 11:37 am
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nieuwsgierig_aagje
Thank you Welivehere and Bob.

It remains difficult to get an indication of what I can ask. Some people I consulted gave me an answer varying from 2500 - 5500 US dollars. Now that didn't help me much..
I'll look up the FAQ's and the job advertorals in the newspapers. Hope that that will give me some answers I can use

Thanks again!

Why don't you call one of the recruitment agencies that work in your field they might be able to give you some advice.....

Good Luck.....
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks Sassy, I already contacted a few agencies per email (because there were no phonenumbers on the websites), but I still didn't get a reply on that unfortunately.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Singlemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of light

Dear all,

I'm a Dutch citizen (but feel comfortable between the UK-people, no prob ;-) and I work at an European telecom company in Dubai (i'm still in my trial period). Next week I have a negotiation with my manager about my salary, because I'm thinking about signing a contract with the company.
But the problem is: I really don't have any clue about salaries here in Dubai!! What would be a good salary for me? I have a Master degree, 5 years experience in the required field and I work here as a project manager.

What would be the basic salary in my case?
Do I get any housing allowance? If yes, how much is appropiate?
And what about transportation costs? How much will those be?

Or, what would you ask if you were in my shoes?

I really hope that anyone of you could give me some information about this, because otherwise...

Thanks in advance!
min.25000/month
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:29 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Do you often position yourself between 2 UK people, It begs the questions, are they M/F, straight, gay, bi, is it legal? (probably in Holland, but def. not in Dubai)
(but feel comfortable between the UK-people, no prob ;-)
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:36 am
Just Joined

I'm sorry, I obviously didn't mean it that way, you dirty mind!

Originally Posted by MJC
Do you often position yourself between 2 UK people, It begs the questions, are they M/F, straight, gay, bi, is it legal? (probably in Holland, but def. not in Dubai)
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Aaaahhhh.. finally someone who dares to give me a figure...
Does that includes housing- and transport alllowance, Singlemom?

Originally Posted by Singlemom
min.25000/month
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:59 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

That would be OK all in, try to get your school fees paid by the company too though, it's AED25k for under 11's and about AED42 for over 11's.

Also, bear in mind it will cost you a fortune (I've spent over AED100k (not including accomadation) in the last 3 months) to get yourself sorted. Visas, utilities, car deposits - and living costs too of course. Also,ensure you have plenty of time on your hands when you arrive to sort the above out.

Don't want to scare you but you need to be aware.
Aaaahhhh.. finally someone who dares to give me a figure...
Does that includes housing- and transport alllowance, Singlemom?

Last edited by MJC; Jul 24th 2005 at 6:05 am.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:02 am
W10

min.25000/month
Shouldn't you be lounging by the pool or something?

Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Singlemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by W10
Shouldn't you be lounging by the pool or something?
newbie..need more info on ur situation...send me pm!

w10....its 8 am here...still having coffee!
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:09 am
W10

newbie..need more info on ur situation...send me pm!
SM is such a maneater

Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by W10
SM is such a maneater

sorry I think I'm in last place compared to the women on this board

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.