Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

i need to leave urgently...advice needed please!

i need to leave urgently...advice needed please!

Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

aussieallalone is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy i need to leave urgently...advice needed please!

hi everyone,

im not british but there seem to be more brits than aussies here!
ive recently (in the past 12 hours) found out that my dad has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and will be starting treatment on monday.
he has been sick for a number of years and i cannot bear to be away from my family right now. we all know what tage 4 means....
i have been here for only 10 months. i need to leave here asap.
My employer needs a 4 week notice period (they may shorten because of the circumstances) and i also have a loan with AED50,000 owning from when i got my apartment. im happy to just leave my apartment and let the real estate sort it out. BUT, will my employer cancel my visa with my loan still outstanding? do they require a clearance letter or anything from the bank?

i know its not condoned, but im sereously contemplating just leaving. i dont have the means to pay off the loan only the minimum requirements. ive hear some horror stories and am so paranoid that lll be locked up if my visa is cancelled but i still owe on the loan. i fully intent to pay and keep the minimum payments up once im back home.

but right now my priority is to get out of here.

cheers guys (please no judgement)
Old Aug 8th 2013, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i need to leave urgently...advice needed please!

Under these circumstances, I would just pack a bag, book a return flight and leave..unless you think that your company will give you compassionate leave without any fuss..then you could just resign when you are home.

Do you know anybody who would take on your lease for your apartment?

I would just go and then sort it out from home...family is more important darling and knowing this place and the way some companies work, I wouldn't risk getting held up ...Just go and sort it out when you are home.
My condolences to you and your family...but don't give up hope. xx
Old Aug 9th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

what Patsy said.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:07 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Under these circumstances, I would just pack a bag, book a return flight and leave..unless you think that your company will give you compassionate leave without any fuss..then you could just resign when you are home.

Do you know anybody who would take on your lease for your apartment?

I would just go and then sort it out from home...family is more important darling and knowing this place and the way some companies work, I wouldn't risk getting held up ...Just go and sort it out when you are home.
My condolences to you and your family...but don't give up hope. xx
Agree 100% with this advice, don't chance any hold ups , good luck and best wishes
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:11 am
Just Joined

hi guys,

thanks so much for your support. i feel so alone here, im too scared to tell my friends for fear of being judged if i just leave.

i dont know what to do about work. do i call my manager and say "sorry dude, gotta go. resignation effective immediately, ill send you my passport to cancel the visa" or do i call him when im back home?

why is this so hard?!!!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussieallalone
hi guys,

thanks so much for your support. i feel so alone here, im too scared to tell my friends for fear of being judged if i just leave.

i dont know what to do about work. do i call my manager and say "sorry dude, gotta go. resignation effective immediately, ill send you my passport to cancel the visa" or do i call him when im back home?

why is this so hard?!!!
go home first, call in sick for a week, then make a decision with a clam head on. I wouldn't bother handing in the passport, that will only lose time.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Darling ..we are all saying the same thing..go home right now...sort it out once you are home..don't run the risk of being stopped at the airport...good luck xx
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:43 am
Just Joined

bridger is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Patsy...
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:39 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

What interests me on this and basically the same thread in the sandpit, is that those who are saying run and sort any problem out later are exactly the same people who hammer people who have done debt skips before.

Most contradictory,
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kix
What interests me on this and basically the same thread in the sandpit, is that those who are saying run and sort any problem out later are exactly the same people who hammer people who have done debt skips before.

Most contradictory,
im not doing a debt skip dude. if i could pay the whole amount now i would go in pay it and then leave. but i cant. most people in my situation would be questioning the same thing. i have morals and i am a very honest person. when i get back home, ill have to borrow the money from my parents to pay the bank.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:00 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

I wasn't being judgemental to you in any way, shape or form, just highlighting the contradictory position of certain bored members.

Why are you still here anyway, you should have left by now.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kix
I wasn't being judgemental to you in any way, shape or form, just highlighting the contradictory position of certain bored members.

Why are you still here anyway, you should have left by now.
im flying out at the end of the week.
still no idea what to tell work..or what to do with laptop and phone
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:03 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Give it to someone you trust who can return it after you've got back.

I would include a resignation letter too.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kix
Give it to someone you trust who can return it after you've got back.

I would include a resignation letter too.
i was thinking of just leaving it at work. my flights is at 10 pm thursday so i can stay behind until everyone has gone, leave my stuff and resignation letter effective immediately and noone will be none the wiser until sunday. by which time ill be back home.

im really worried about letting my employer down but doing this the right way will put me in a situation where i wont be able to get back
Old Aug 10th 2013, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix

Most contradictory,
If you are referring to me, you need to sharpen your pencil. I have never hammered a debt skip and have always said I would do the same given the correct circumstances. Not keeping any money in the country is key to survival here - if that means taking out loans for cars etc. that is what you do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.