British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   I miss my Dubai salary badly (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/i-miss-my-dubai-salary-badly-752544/)

klaus3974 Mar 23rd 2012 6:28 pm

I miss my Dubai salary badly

Hi there,

I have not posted here in more than a year. I arrived in Dubai May 2009 and I stayed there until June 2011. My wife could not get a job and hated the place. I hated my job. We saved enough to buy a house back home and we moved back... now the problem is that I miss Dubai. I am not a beach person and I hate malls so I guess I am only missing living comfortable and still having half my salary in the bank at the end of the month. Am I missing something else?
I had a new job offer to come back and I know if I bring it to my wife she will kill me. And the worst of all is that I am thinking about it even if it is 20% less than what I use to make there.

Please give me good reasons to not come back.

Oyibopeppeh Mar 23rd 2012 6:59 pm

Re: I miss my Dubai salary badly

Missing the Pinoy hookers in Rattlesnake?

Good luck for you boy, they've just knocked down the Metropolitan

flood2 Mar 23rd 2012 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9969028)

Oh,where have they gone:)

mentalist Mar 24th 2012 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9969028)

No they haven't.

kittycat1 Mar 24th 2012 9:02 am

pretentious twats

weasel decentral Mar 24th 2012 10:40 am

Originally Posted by klaus3974 (Post 9968998)

Please give me good reasons to not come back.

Nobody liked you and your wife was sleeping with the gardener and maid.

soukie Mar 24th 2012 11:12 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9969829)
pretentious twats

Seconded - all that air kissing gets very tedious.

co durham boy Mar 24th 2012 11:30 am

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 9969966)
Seconded - all that air kissing gets very tedious.

I work on a basic formula with the carrot cake eating skinny soya latte drinkers of Dubai .

Air kissing xLarge handbag x Oversized sunglasses = Small bank balance

Victor Meldrew Mar 24th 2012 1:16 pm

I have to say that, after working in UK for 21 years struggling month to month (ie going further and further into debt), I can see where you are coming from with the idea of living well and still having half your salary to play with.

Financial security goes a long way in making you (dare I say) happy

klaus3974 Mar 24th 2012 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 9969939)
Nobody liked you and your wife was sleeping with the gardener and maid.

We had no maid or gardener, that is why we were able to save. And I really do not give a **** if people liked me or not. Most of you have no idea how hard is to make a decent living in the Old continent these days.

Millhouse Mar 24th 2012 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by klaus3974 (Post 9970091)
We had no maid or gardener, that is why we were able to save. And I really do not give a **** if people liked me or not. Most of you have no idea how hard is to make a decent living in the Old continent these days.

At least you don't come across as bitter. :rofl:

My take on it, if you are unhappy but coming just for the money then something is deeply wrong. We all make some trade offs being here - happiness shouldn't be one of them.

soukie Mar 24th 2012 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9969981)
I work on a basic formula with the carrot cake eating skinny soya latte drinkers of Dubai .

Air kissing xLarge handbag x Oversized sunglasses = Small bank balance

:thumbsup::thumbsup: or = xlarge bank loan

OriginalSunshine Mar 24th 2012 3:50 pm

Most of you have no idea how hard is to make a decent living in the Old continent these days.

I think you'll find that most do, which is why "most" people put up with the bad as well as the good about living and working in the Middle East.

What you've just done is the equivalent of walking into a pub, declaring yourself filthy ******* rich (let's face it "most" people out here cannot save enough to buy a house within two years) and wanting to do it again. Not exactly the way to get warm & fuzzy comments, is it? :unsure:

klaus3974 Mar 24th 2012 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 9970202)
I think you'll find that most do, which is why "most" people put up with the bad as well as the good about living and working in the Middle East.

What you've just done is the equivalent of walking into a pub, declaring yourself filthy ******* rich (let's face it "most" people out here cannot save enough to buy a house within two years) and wanting to do it again. Not exactly the way to get warm & fuzzy comments, is it? :unsure:

I apologize if I came as arrogant. The problem is how to control people expectations. We did not buy a penthouse in London. The house cost us less than GBP 120K. Gosh we saved every single dhs when we were there (Satwa and Deira were our treat on a weekend out). Maybe that is why we hated Dubai... we did not make the most of it. Looking back we should have stayed one or two years more, to save for the house AND the rainy days. Its is bloody hard to make enough to sustain a family these days in Europe. I guess that is why you see people asking in the forum if 9K dhs is a good salary.

weasel decentral Mar 24th 2012 4:18 pm

I am not in the middle east because I love it, I can assure you.

There is nothing stopping you returning to work and going back home every 3 or 4 months. Can't have your cake and eat it too is the phrase that comes to mind