Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

I know I dont belong here...

I know I dont belong here...

Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know I dont belong here...

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
No disrespect, mate, but you were not on the good tail list, so there'll be no bowing down tonite...
I understand...Spring starts tomorrow, and you'll bloom...
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Location: We live in Riyadh---out in the open, no compound life here *sigh* I wish
Jess1983 is just really niceJess1983 is just really niceJess1983 is just really niceJess1983 is just really niceJess1983 is just really niceJess1983 is just really niceJess1983 is just really niceJess1983 is just really nice

I didnt run away. Friday is the only day we actually get out of the house LOL....

Yea i guess i dont mind sharing some personal details..

As for my husbands salary compared to lebanon---he was making only 400USD in Lebanon per MONTH. Here in Riyadh he is getting paid 8500SAR a month, which is almost 1900 a month more. His base is only 6500SAR...and without a degree or working for a foriegn company that is a really good salary, as most jobs start at 4000SAR base. His job doesnt offer family status based on his Iqama profession so he has to try and arrange for our visa's to be transfered. We are here on family visit visa's but this is the last one he was able to arrange because the man helping him inside the ministry has since left his post. He does get insurance for himself--and after we obtain residence our son and I will have insurance as well. Also the job offers him 1mth paid vacation and 1 round trip ticket to Lebanon per annual.

We are living in Riyadh center, off of Olaya and Thaleteen street. its a very nice building as far as looks but not having any western neighbors is a tad tough. The rent here in this building since its not in a compound is only near 21000SAR a year. Ive seen higher and a little lower outside compounds. The cheapest ive seen for even a small compound with no ammenities except a pool and basketball is 55000SAR a year and they arent anything to talk about.

I have no idea of any of the compound locations, it really does appear that the westerners hide lol, I go to Tamimi down here by our house all the time and have yet to see one.

Nope we cant go back to the states...immigration issues are hard to get around married to an american with a child or not, when you have a history with immigration already prior to that marriage.

Yes i will be around often.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:20 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
I understand...Spring starts tomorrow, and you'll bloom...
Much prefer Orlando's current beau... Miss Miranda Kerr..

Old Mar 21st 2009, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Much prefer Orlando's current beau... Miss Miranda Kerr..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SHjLbFdBhY...randa+kerr.jpg
Bloody hell, yes..............!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2009, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

My Office is only less tan 5 minutes from Olaya.
still !! have a look on here this may help you.

http://www.britishcommunityservices....gs/ladies.html
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:03 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to take advice (from here, or more officially) about the visa issue. That sounds worrying...

I've very rarely seen Westerners in any supermarket - usually the Carrefours (particularly at Le Mall 5 or the big mall on the way to the airport), but even then only one or two at a time.

I usually stay near the Faisaliah.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:14 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by typical
You might want to take advice (from here, or more officially) about the visa issue. That sounds worrying...

I've very rarely seen Westerners in any supermarket - usually the Carrefours (particularly at Le Mall 5 or the big mall on the way to the airport), but even then only one or two at a time.

I usually stay near the Faisaliah.
folks, if you want to see westerners out and about, head over to granada mall. there's a couple of the bigger compounds around it (al hamra, eid, granada, etc.) and you'll find a few of us wandering around the carre four looking lost (esp the bachelors here... god i miss m&s boxed meals!)
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:45 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
folks, if you want to see westerners out and about, head over to granada mall. there's a couple of the bigger compounds around it (al hamra, eid, granada, etc.) and you'll find a few of us wandering around the carre four looking lost (esp the bachelors here... god i miss m&s boxed meals!)
I think that's the one I meant

Only been there twice, so couldn't remember the name...
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by still.unsure
What really p....d me off when I was in Dhahran in 1984 was if you were in the supermarket at prayer time they locked the doors for 20 minutes or so.

You had to very quickly make up your mind whether to stay inside for the duration or get out.

Have they progressed since then or still practice this???
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:11 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
What really p....d me off when I was in Dhahran in 1984 was if you were in the supermarket at prayer time they locked the doors for 20 minutes or so.

You had to very quickly make up your mind whether to stay inside for the duration or get out.

Have they progressed since then or still practice this???
still in practice. at least at some of the supermarkets let you stay inside. most of the tamimi's here kick you out, regardless. (it's always amusing to watch the expats turn up to carre four just as the tills close for prayer so they can do their shop and then queue for the till when it opens again!)
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

Originally Posted by admon

we are still here, in the UAE, by the pool sipping cocktails
Pool in 47 degree heat ? Sipping $50 vodka and lemonade "cocktails" (or more likely mocktails)? .

As dubai drawcards they are up there with traffic jams, $300 sand golf and hanging at bhurka beach .

If you are being creative why not just say "playing tennis on the Burj al arab helipad".
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mantronic
Pool in 47 degree heat ? Sipping $50 vodka and lemonade "cocktails" (or more likely mocktails)? .

As dubai drawcards they are up there with traffic jams, $300 sand golf and hanging at bhurka beach .

If you are being creative why not just say "playing tennis on the Burj al arab helipad".
as usual, you know absolutely zero about life here..
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

I know dubai aint about pools and cocktails .

Try 1000000 dh plus packages and paid accom if you want to gloat.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mantronic
I know dubai aint about pools and cocktails .

Try 1000000 dh plus packages and paid accom if you want to gloat.
i'm sorry, job interview reject?
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Correct - otherwise I would have been there in a snap for the pools and cocktails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.