British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   I have work visa, husband's entry into Dubai? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/i-have-work-visa-husbands-entry-into-dubai-508779/)

angelynv Jan 24th 2008 1:37 pm

I have work visa, husband's entry into Dubai?

Hi
ok im the one who has been offered a job and my hubbie has yet to find one. worst case scenario - he dosnt have one by the time we go (April). I know he can come in on a tourist visa - 30 days - and it can be extended to another 30 days.
so, 1. will there be a problem generally on entry i.e. at the airport? how does it work

2. can i apply for his visa to be extended or does it have to be someone else?

thanks!

Sam FTQ Jan 24th 2008 1:39 pm

Re: I have work visa, husband's entry into Dubai?

Originally Posted by angelynv (Post 5833510)
Hi
ok im the one who has been offered a job and my hubbie has yet to find one. worst case scenario - he dosnt have one by the time we go (April). I know he can come in on a tourist visa - 30 days - and it can be extended to another 30 days.
so, 1. will there be a problem generally on entry i.e. at the airport? how does it work

2. can i apply for his visa to be extended or does it have to be someone else?

thanks!

If you are married and you have a job, then you can sponsor him.

angelynv Jan 24th 2008 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ (Post 5833515)
If you are married and you have a job, then you can sponsor him.

ive heard the position isnt clear cut with wives being able to sponsor husbands.. anyone have any direct experience of this?? also in terms of actually getting off the plane - is there anything i need to be aware of?

Sam FTQ Jan 24th 2008 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by angelynv (Post 5833586)
ive heard the position isnt clear cut with wives being able to sponsor husbands.. anyone have any direct experience of this?? also in terms of actually getting off the plane - is there anything i need to be aware of?

Yes, me - I am sponsoring my husband.

Madam Medusa Jan 24th 2008 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by angelynv (Post 5833586)

yeah, it's not clear cut as far as i'm aware, i'm not sure whether it depends on the job you have, you would need to check for your own circumstances, or ask the company who will be employing you, they will have a pro i'm sure...

in the short term, he will have no problems on the visitor visa, the visa run is as simple as a drive to oman...

MM, xx

Inselaffen Jan 24th 2008 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5833597)
yeah, it's not clear cut as far as i'm aware, i'm not sure whether it depends on the job you have, you would need to check for your own circumstances, or ask the company who will be employing you, they will have a pro i'm sure...

in the short term, he will have no problems on the visitor visa, the visa run is as simple as a drive to oman...
MM, xx

thats assuming he is a national of 1 of the 33 or so countries who can get visa's at the border!

Sam FTQ Jan 24th 2008 2:15 pm

As long as you earn enough to support the both of you should he be unable to find work, you shouldn't have a problem.

May I ask what line of work you are in?

Madam Medusa Jan 24th 2008 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5833604)
thats assuming he is a national of 1 of the 33 or so countries who can get visa's at the border!

yeah, guess it's tough luck if he's not...

MM, xx

angelynv Jan 24th 2008 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5833623)
yeah, guess it's tough luck if he's not...

MM, xx

hi i am a lawyer. my job has offered me 500000AED per annum, plus other benefits. I am a British Citizen. thats a good point, ill speak with my employer..

angelynv Jan 24th 2008 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ (Post 5833590)
Yes, me - I am sponsoring my husband.

great - so how do you go about this? sorry i know im probably being a pain - i mean like what forms etc

Madam Medusa Jan 24th 2008 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by angelynv (Post 5833648)
hi i am a lawyer. my job has offered me 500000AED per annum, plus other benefits. I am a British Citizen. thats a good point, ill speak with my employer..

yep, your company pro should defo sort it all out for you and hubbie...i think the vistors visa is actually 60 days so even if he has to do a visa run until the sponsorship situation is sorted, it's not a hassle...

MM, xx

Sam FTQ Jan 24th 2008 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by angelynv (Post 5833649)
great - so how do you go about this? sorry i know im probably being a pain - i mean like what forms etc

Your company will sort it all out. All you need to provide is the following:

Degree certificates attested by a public notary, certified by the Foreign Office and certified by the UAE Embassy in London.

Marriage Certificate certified by the Foreign Office in London (if that's where you got married - I got married overseas, big headache), then certified by the UAE Embassy in London.

Passport (obviously).

Some blood for your HIV test.

Your company will do the rest. It all happens through your company, as your Residence and Employment visas are basically the same thing.

All this is pretty standard. You will not need to worry about visa runs, etc. as you can sponsor your husband.

Feel free to PM me if you need any further info; I have been going through this process over the past couple of months, so it is all still fresh in my mind!

Sam x