British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   i hate HSBC!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/i-hate-hsbc-599179/)

cod head Mar 22nd 2009 4:50 pm

i hate HSBC!!!!

argh! i've totally had it with HSBC in the UAE - they are hopeless - still pay standing orders despite having been cancelled, never follow up when you raise a complaint and you cant get your money back!!! Plus ive still not been contacted about fraud on my card in early December. I have never had such bad service ever......

i really, really want to move my current account, but i need recommendations if any of the Dubai banks are better?

:thumbdown::curse::mad:

Roadking Mar 22nd 2009 5:08 pm

Re: i hate HSBC!!!!

Originally Posted by cod head (Post 7407130)
argh! i've totally had it with HSBC in the UAE - they are hopeless - still pay standing orders despite having been cancelled, never follow up when you raise a complaint and you cant get your money back!!! Plus ive still not been contacted about fraud on my card in early December. I have never had such bad service ever......

i really, really want to move my current account, but i need recommendations if any of the Dubai banks are better?

I hear HSBC are OK....

bimcnorth Mar 22nd 2009 5:12 pm

I use Barclays and FGB myself..what do you want from your bank?

Jeeper Mar 22nd 2009 5:20 pm

Lower your expectations and you'll be much more satisifed.
or go to mashreq. never had an issue with them.

Madam Medusa Mar 22nd 2009 5:38 pm

i'm with nbd, they are fine...emirates meant to be ok too...agree about hsbc, they are shiter than shite...

MM, xx

Confucius Mar 22nd 2009 6:02 pm

Btw, Auto is deleting all HSBC hate threads...

commander Mar 22nd 2009 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7407236)
i'm with nbd, they are fine...emirates meant to be ok too...agree about hsbc, they are shiter than shite...

MM, xx

just had (no kidding) 3 x 45 minute calls with HSBC about their ethiad privelage card that they cancelled then reissued but cancelled again.

foooking useless

Spugsy Mar 23rd 2009 3:42 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7407305)
just had (no kidding) 3 x 45 minute calls with HSBC about their ethiad privelage card that they cancelled then reissued but cancelled again.

foooking useless

I'm with HSBC as well, they be better off employing nutless monkeys to work there, they are all, to a man (or woman) completely useless.

admon Mar 23rd 2009 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7408479)
I'm with HSBC as well, they be better off employing nutless monkeys to work there, they are all, to a man (or woman) completely useless.

i think for the most part they already do..

apart from our delightful Indie, of course..

MataHari Mar 23rd 2009 4:29 am

I wrote out a check the other day for my maids cleaning company...it came back from the bank saying it had been altered, but it wasn't...so took it to Lloyds, had a million people look at it and they all couldn't see what the problem was, the only thing they could come up with was that the computer probably couldn't read my handwriting, which is a bit weird cause I have been writing similar cheques for 4 years...so I still ended up paying the 100 dsh 'fine' the cleaning company charges for this...

lionheart Mar 23rd 2009 4:49 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7408550)
I wrote out a check the other day for my maids cleaning company...it came back from the bank saying it had been altered, but it wasn't...so took it to Lloyds, had a million people look at it and they all couldn't see what the problem was, the only thing they could come up with was that the computer probably couldn't read my handwriting, which is a bit weird cause I have been writing similar cheques for 4 years...so I still ended up paying the 100 dsh 'fine' the cleaning company charges for this...

Had a similar problem where HSBC could not read the date on a salary cheque issued by NBD and so my boss had to rewrite the cheque. The original cheque was returned and the date was as clear as day. HSBC are rubbish but sadly none of the other banks seem much better.

Norm_uk Mar 23rd 2009 6:40 am

All Dubai banks are franchises...even the better ones are literally decades behind other countries.

Get yourself a good, reliable offshore bank for things like standing orders etc. You'll also have more protection and security (if you die, run someone over, have a nasty sponsor etc your local accounts can be frozen with ease!)

If you PM me I can recommend one or two myself.

Regards

N.

commander Mar 23rd 2009 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7408787)
All Dubai banks are franchises...even the better ones are literally decades behind other countries.

Get yourself a good, reliable offshore bank for things like standing orders etc. You'll also have more protection and security (if you die, run someone over, have a nasty sponsor etc your local accounts can be frozen with ease!)

If you PM me I can recommend one or two myself.

Regards

N.

agree, my salary goes to an offshore bank, my spending money is transferred as required. Leave nothing in banks here...

ssuh Mar 23rd 2009 11:31 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7409148)
agree, my salary goes to an offshore bank, my spending money is transferred as required. Leave nothing in banks here...

Is that a dirham salary paid off-shore commander? If not don't you get hit with exch rates fees when you xfer etc?

I'm with HSBC here and agree that they are useless sometimes but I weigh that against the convinience of access to a 'local' bank.

Admittedley my account is basic.....i.e salary in & cash machine and cc payment out - so it ain't too complicated a process....(you'd think).

On the upside they do pay 5.3% on my loose change as well so not all bad ;)