British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   I feel boring, what to do? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/i-feel-boring-what-do-647469/)

scrubbedexpat080 Jan 5th 2010 10:14 am

I feel boring, what to do?

I work in Abu Dhabi and I feel boring, I don't know what I have to do. :(

littlejimmy Jan 5th 2010 10:26 am

Re: I feel boring, what to do?

How do you answer this one? :confused:

Feel exciting?

Jeeper Jan 5th 2010 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Miladassaf (Post 8219684)

http://www.thejobbored.com/how-to-lo...y-at-work_344/

Jeeper Jan 5th 2010 10:40 am

some of these are good.
http://www.thejobbored.com/40-things...my-career_479/

iseeyou Jan 8th 2010 7:28 am

what kind of hobby do you have?:)

DiggerBarnes Jan 8th 2010 9:03 pm

You sound boring!

Patsy Stoned Jan 9th 2010 2:43 am

Originally Posted by DiggerBarnes (Post 8230098)
You sound boring!

and you sound rude!

Norm_uk Jan 9th 2010 6:12 am

Boring or bored?

There's a difference!

N.

zamboooka Jan 9th 2010 9:08 am

tug the leather..!?

kittycat1 Jan 9th 2010 9:10 am

Hi Miladassaf,

I completely know how you feel!

and Norm as much as I know the difference between being bored and being boring I have felt that I have become boring being here (well at times thats how I feel), at home I would always be able to go out, know where to go to entertain myself, or have enough friends that someone was always free to go and hang out with, whereas here all of that has gone, so not only do you get bored, you start to feel that you hardly go out- you do the same things every day and actually feel like a dullard as well!

Getting out and doing stuff here is hard, and I'm not a fan of going out and doing stuff on my own, especially here, its much easier to pass time when your not on your own. You get to the point of sitting by the pool with another book gets a bit repetitive! At home I'm a very outgoing person but really have to push myself here, and I have gone out and managed to meet some people who I get on with, I know some people here have said its easy to make friends here but I disagree, I think its hard to meet people here, once having met people they are really friendly but the initial meeting people is hard.

I'm not one for sitting in night after night watching dvds or reading night after night- I miss being sociable, and doing stuff you would normally do with your mates at home. Miladassaf, i can't tell you where to go in Abu Dhabi as Ive not been there myself, however if its any reassurance you are not alone in how you feel and you will make friends it just takes time and you just have to make extra effort to get out and meet as many different people as possible and hopefully out of those people youll meet some people whos company you enjoy!

Chin up!

Kitty
xxx

zamboooka Jan 9th 2010 9:12 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8231482)
Hi Miladassaf,

I completely know how you feel!

and Norm as much as I know the difference between being bored and being boring I have felt that I have become boring being here (well at times thats how I feel), at home I would always be able to go out, know where to go to entertain myself, or have enough friends that someone was always free to go and hang out with, whereas here all of that has gone, so not only do you get bored, you start to feel that you hardly go out- you do the same things every day and actually feel like a dullard as well!

Getting out and doing stuff here is hard, and I'm not a fan of going out and doing stuff on my own, especially here, its much easier to pass time when your not on your own. You get to the point of sitting by the pool with another book gets a bit repetitive! At home I'm a very outgoing person but really have to push myself here, and I have gone out and managed to meet some people who I get on with, I know some people here have said its easy to make friends here but I disagree, I think its hard to meet people here, once having met people they are really friendly but the initial meeting people is hard.

I'm not one for sitting in night after night watching dvds or reading night after night- I miss being sociable, and doing stuff you would normally do with your mates at home. Miladassaf, i can't tell you where to go in Abu Dhabi as Ive not been there myself, however if its any reassurance you are not alone in how you feel and you will make friends it just takes time and you just have to make extra effort to get out and meet as many different people as possible and hopefully out of those people youll meet some people whos company you enjoy!

Chin up!

Kitty
xxx

i'd still advise the leather tug... need to keep ur chin up for that'un as well though!!

kittycat1 Jan 9th 2010 9:20 am

Zambooka, you can only tommy tank so much though! although having seen several of your postings I get the impression you have a one track mind so could probably wank your life away

zamboooka Jan 9th 2010 9:22 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8231510)
Zambooka, you can only tommy tank so much though! although having seen several of your postings I get the impression you have a one track mind so could probably wank your life away

hmmm right on the button... i really could do that all the time.. but it might get in the way of my runnin...

scrubbedexpat080 Jan 9th 2010 10:09 am

Kittycat, thanks so much for your reply. I was trying so hard for many years to make some friends here but I noticed that alot of whom I companied, their friendship were for thier interest, they are not looking for indeed friend who could share them their happiness and sadness.:(
Believe me it's so hard to find a real friend now days becuase we are living in a materialism life which builds it's relations on interest.
So for that I'm trying to find who can be a real friend, who can I go with every where to live the real life of friendship.:)
Becuase friendship likes a flower which should be grown in a garden with a care and love to enjoy it's perfume:wub:

Jim Smith Jan 9th 2010 11:12 am

I think this subject has been discussed a number of times here before. However I will throw my experience into the ring for what it's worth.

I arrived in South London in 1972 from a country with a population of 1800 at that time. Naturally I had moments of feeling bored and lonely also! I guess this was compounded by the fact that I had a room with a family in the next house but one, to where I worked. Naturally when work was over all my colleagues roared off to their homes anywhere from 10 to 50 miles away. So after work that was it, study and then at 10 pm a pint and read the couple of newspapers I had accumulated over the day!

For me the secret was, as I think has already been said a number of times. You have to stop feeling sad for yourself and get out into the commmunity and DO SOMETHING WITH OTHER PEOPLE!!!

I used to go to Spurs and Crystal Palace (Football for the unitiated) very regularly and made a few friends in each ground by always standing in the same place for example. But you really have to participate in local activities such as sports clubs, dancing, anything that groups similar minded people together. A guy I worked with suggested ballroom dancing, and as I was interested in that at home, I gave it a shot! From then on I made a number of friends, and maybe a year later even met my first wife there!

So don't feel sorry for yourself, get out there and give some activity your best shot. And of course if your first choice doesn't succeed select another one that you feel you have some interest in!

If I ever got really down like on Christmas eve, for example, then I just went to bed, and tomorrow is another day and I felt great and ready to face the world.

Good luck.