British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   I dont think we are going... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/i-dont-think-we-going-511971/)

mumtofive Feb 5th 2008 2:24 pm

I dont think we are going...

:thumbdown:

Firm have said that unless he has his diploma certificate, the family cant go to Saudi with him!!:mad:
He can go on a business visa but thats about it!! We stay in England
HELP!!

Madam Medusa Feb 5th 2008 2:26 pm

Re: I dont think we are going...

Originally Posted by mumtofive (Post 5888725)
:thumbdown:

Firm have said that unless he has his diploma certificate, the family cant go to Saudi with him!!:mad:
He can go on a business visa but thats about it!! We stay in England
HELP!!

aww, i really sympathise...

there must be a way of getting it...sorry, i don't know the solution, but could you try the dept of education to find out where you should go cos there must be many other people in this situation...

MM, xx

bigmamma Feb 7th 2008 4:21 am

Hi mumtofive

We had the same problem last year before we moved to Saudi.
Basically my husband had to write to the educational branch involved (in his case it was Roads/Transportation) and ask them to release another copy of his Diploma. OK we had to pay about 100 GBP but it arrived within 2 weeks and then this was sent off with the rest of his paperwork to be authenticated by the Saudi Goverenment.

If he is dealing with an agent to get his visa then they may possibly have a template of a letter that you could get requesting this information and then you could have the certificate sent directly to the agent.

We had such huge problems with all the visa stuff before we got here that we ended up back living in the UK for 3 months before everything was sorted out. Saying that the agent my husbands company used was terrible (company now use another agent) but the Saudi Embasy in London is quite strict.

Hope you manage to get things sorted out.

mumtofive Feb 7th 2008 7:03 am

Thanks for the replies-we are definately not going because they havent got any trace of him on their system.Apparently the company had a big meeting about challenging the government about his case and they wont take it any further.So he can go but me and the childrne cant. So there will be a lot of thinking to do over this coming weekend.
Thanks once again for your help

Ange and children xxx

Old Lob Feb 7th 2008 8:54 am

Sorry mate - do you reaqlly have five?

I've been abroad a lot and met a lot of people there.

It is possible to split the family with your old man in KSA and you wherever you are. Some say its better to do it this way because to some KSA is PIA or some other american airline that went into Ch 11 in the 80's *.

Half the time it wrecks the marriage not due to you or him bagging off elsewhere but just because you grow apart. I say this from experience. It is possible to fly back once a month or so from Bahrain and quite cheaply but it's no way of life.

On the other hand if he is employable then maybe you ought to try it for two years - the savings (say about 10 yrs) makes a tangible difference and should not be sneezed at. If the economics are less than that then don't include in your weekend deliberations.

* TWA divvie - not you, the others

mumtofive Feb 7th 2008 9:06 am

Yep I do have five-three girls and two boys(three boys if you include my hubby)
I think he should go and see what happens,at least he can say hes tried it!!

Blue Cat Feb 7th 2008 10:36 am

so he can go and they can get him a visa? I don't understand that? he is the person that then sponsors you and kids, so I am not seeing the problem?

mumtofive Feb 7th 2008 10:43 am

I know-the company will give him a working visa-but they need that certificate,so myself and the children can live in KSA.He hasnt got it,nobody at the education department can trace it,so the company have said the family cant go but he can.:mad:

So we have hit a brick wall really.

Blue Cat Feb 7th 2008 11:14 am

Originally Posted by mumtofive (Post 5898629)
I know-the company will give him a working visa-but they need that certificate,so myself and the children can live in KSA.He hasnt got it,nobody at the education department can trace it,so the company have said the family cant go but he can.:mad:

and he can't sponsor you on a working visa? that is different from here :huh:

Sam FTQ Feb 7th 2008 11:44 am

I don't understand, none of this makes any sense to me. For a start, it is not the college or the Education Department that would hold a copy of the Diploma, but the Exam Board. You need to contact them. They will hold copies of every Diploma, etc. they have ever awarded. You will probably have to pay a few quid for a copy, but there is absolutely no reason why they won't have a copy.

Coxy the Bear Feb 7th 2008 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ (Post 5898914)
I don't understand, none of this makes any sense to me. For a start, it is not the college or the Education Department that would hold a copy of the Diploma, but the Exam Board. You need to contact them. They will hold copies of every Diploma, etc. they have ever awarded. You will probably have to pay a few quid for a copy, but there is absolutely no reason why they won't have a copy.

Well, you'd like to think the the exam board would have copies.....but they claim...'not to find you'! I couldn't find my certs and requested copies of GCSE's, they take the fee regardless of wether they find them, they couldn't apparentlly. The board for my NVQ also claimed not to be able to find them. Then, I stumbled over them in the loft and was a hell of a lot happier!

Old Lob Feb 7th 2008 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by mumtofive (Post 5898268)
Yep I do have five-three girls and two boys(three boys if you include my hubby)
I think he should go and see what happens,at least he can say hes tried it!!

Advice is to time limit it and have rethink in a year but don't bring the subject up before then.

And try and have some children....

Madam Medusa Feb 7th 2008 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Coxy the Bear (Post 5899048)
Well, you'd like to think the the exam board would have copies.....but they claim...'not to find you'! I couldn't find my certs and requested copies of GCSE's, they take the fee regardless of wether they find them, they couldn't apparentlly.

yeah, sadly i can believe it...like they really do look, it's just easy money, eh...

makes things really difficult for you mumto5...really hope you can get it sorted...

MM, xx

MataHari Feb 7th 2008 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by mumtofive (Post 5898629)

cute pic of the chocolate kid by the way...

Sam FTQ Feb 7th 2008 3:25 pm

mumtofive, I think I might know somebody who can help you. He is a Notary Public and an expert in verifying documents. As such, he will be aware of any database that exists that could provide proof of your husband's Diploma.

His name is Iain Rogers and his telephone number is 020 7623 9477.

Good luck!

Sam x