Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Husband/wife package duplication - what happens?

Husband/wife package duplication - what happens?

Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Husband/wife package duplication - what happens?

Hi all,

Just wondering if I can get a consensus on what might happen in the following situation - I know it's been discussed before but can't quite get my head round this specific situation and wonder if anyone's experienced it:
  • Wife gets a job in a British school. Contract clearly states that furnished accommodation, healthcare, visa and flights for both husband and wife are included, but "if spouse finds work in UAE that offers benefits, these benefits will not be replicated".
  • Husband finds a job after 6 months that offers an accommodation allowance, healthcare etc.

Would the husband be able to refuse these benefits and have that put in writing to prove to the school he wasn't receiving them?

Would there ever be an option of receiving the accommodation allowance as salary instead?

Or would a company say "sorry, this is the package, take it or leave it"?

If the latter did happen, how would the wife's school find out - and would it be likely to demand the couple immediately move out of the school-supplied accommodation?

Thank you, as always.

Jim
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband/wife package duplication - what happens?

you cannot double up if the wife gets the job with accommodation, what people try and do is that one gets the accommodtion included and the other takes a lump sum so no allowances etc. they do ask and you do have to provide answers it happens a lot here but usually if one is private and one is government etc.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:47 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

My mrs (not married) is a teacher and get's an apartment provided. I'm not technically allowed to live there, so I paid for one separately.

If we got married, because she has a husband who is a non-teacher, she gives up her accommodation.

This year, she took the allowance instead of the apartment. She had to provide tenancy contract to prove it. If we got married and didn't tell them she might get away with it for a bit but they'd find out sooner or later.

Basically - take your allowances because hers will disappear.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:16 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

If you agree to those contract terms, then they will be binding. It all depends on what you accept from an employer, or how you negotiate.

There is nothing in UAE Labour Law that says you can only have one accommodation allowance betwen you and I know of many couples where both receive allowances.

It's a ridiculous and outmoded, not to suggest sexist, clause for an employer to include, in my view.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:21 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
If you agree to those contract terms, then they will be binding. It all depends on what you accept from an employer, or how you negotiate.

There is nothing in UAE Labour Law that says you can only have one accommodation allowance betwen you and I know of many couples where both receive allowances.

It's a ridiculous and outmoded, not to suggest sexist, clause for an employer to include, in my view.
Hands down agree.

It's one of the reasons (not the main one though) that we won't get married any time soon!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:35 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by driftingaway View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering if I can get a consensus on what might happen in the following situation - I know it's been discussed before but can't quite get my head round this specific situation and wonder if anyone's experienced it:
  • Wife gets a job in a British school. Contract clearly states that furnished accommodation, healthcare, visa and flights for both husband and wife are included, but "if spouse finds work in UAE that offers benefits, these benefits will not be replicated".
  • Husband finds a job after 6 months that offers an accommodation allowance, healthcare etc.

Would the husband be able to refuse these benefits and have that put in writing to prove to the school he wasn't receiving them?

Would there ever be an option of receiving the accommodation allowance as salary instead?

Or would a company say "sorry, this is the package, take it or leave it"?

If the latter did happen, how would the wife's school find out - and would it be likely to demand the couple immediately move out of the school-supplied accommodation?

Thank you, as always.

Jim
get a job that states that you are not receiving accommodation etc benefits
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

When you get your job - if they offer accommodation allowances negotiate as part of your package that they replace the accommodation allowance with a 'cost of living' allowance for the same amount.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your advice, all - sounds like there are a number of options to get around it if and when