British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Humming and harring over job offer in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/humming-harring-over-job-offer-abu-dhabi-572122/)

Processed beats Nov 9th 2008 4:00 pm

Humming and harring over job offer in Abu Dhabi

I am a single (but not for long) Mancunian who has received a job offer from an AD Govt entity as a contracts manager. Details are ;
Salary 26,000 AED per month
Housing allowance 170,000 AED PA or company sourced accomodation
Settling in allowance (one off) 47,500AED
No car allowance
annual leave 25days
1 Annual leave ticket PA
Joining and repatriation air ticket

The salary is about the same as I get in the UK and have'nt fallen for the tax free pitch in view of the inflation in AD;
I have 10 years experience and would like to know if this offer is reasonable ? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Madam Medusa Nov 9th 2008 4:15 pm

Re: Humming and harring over job offer in Abu Dhabi

looks do-able, but accomodation is a mare to get hold of in AD. Check the standard of the place they are offering to provide...

and check the holiday entitlement that it's not consecutive days (some places will count the weekend as 2 days holiday if you book 2 weeks for example)...

MM, xx

Processed beats Nov 9th 2008 6:28 pm

Madame Medusa,

Thanks for that. Having read some of the threads understand that accon in AD is a challenge and will be asking questions about what the company will source.

Appreciate the heads up regarding consecutive days, never occurred to me.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

highlander393 Nov 9th 2008 6:46 pm

sounds a good deal for 10 yrs exp. particularly if they provide the accom and it is of reasonable standard

Roadking Nov 9th 2008 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Processed beats (Post 6956256)
Madame Medusa,

Thanks for that. Having read some of the threads understand that accon in AD is a challenge and will be asking questions about what the company will source.

Appreciate the heads up regarding consecutive days, never occurred to me.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Might want to change the avatar, though, Penguins don't do well out here, except in captivity...:p

chrisinus Nov 9th 2008 8:31 pm

Also, what about health insurance? That's a must to be provided.

hawkhead Nov 10th 2008 3:25 am

Looks good to me. Tax free is still a bonus! Yes there is inflation here but it'll take a while before it uses up an extra third of your salary!
Accommodation is a challenge but you should be able to (eventually) get something suitable (1 bed flat) for that.
AD govt will provide Damam insurance, which I have - has worked well for me so far.

Grace O Malley Nov 10th 2008 6:39 am

looks good!

Congrats

If you are planning to stay for a while and seeing as you will be getting hitched soon, you might want to add school fees?

Processed beats Nov 10th 2008 10:02 am

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Have got medical insurance with Dammam and there is provision for education fees at 42,000 AED per academic year. Have no idea what that will get but of course would like a school with a UK curriculum.

Any idea what a Nissan Altima or Toyota corolla might be per month on a lease basis (to start off with) ?

Again thanks to all for the feedback and insight it really really helps.

Am starting to feel more comfortable with the move.

Appreciated :thumbsup:

PB

Hello.Kitty Nov 10th 2008 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Processed beats (Post 6958226)

Have got medical insurance with Dammam and there is provision for education fees at 42,000 AED per academic year. Have no idea what that will get but of course would like a school with a UK curriculum.

Any idea what a Nissan Altima or Toyota corolla might be per month on a lease basis (to start off with) ?

PB

we've got a vectra-sized car over here on lease at the moment and it's about 1.2k/month, albeit in Dubai. You'll probably find that you'll want to go bigger than planned, due to things like roll-cages and the like!

Your relocation bonus sounds really generous actually... Mr Kitty got around 27k and that paid for 14 boxes (and the golf clubs) to bit shipped over and whole new kitchen stuff, dining furniture, living room furniture, kid's bedroom, a few carpets and other odds and ends bought here.

Oh, and I think school fees are to the tune of 5-10k per term.

All in all, well done!

Roadking Nov 10th 2008 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Processed beats (Post 6958226)

PB

School fees are +/-50'000 AED per annum for my 12 year old in Dubai in a British school. Your allowance sounds fair.
There was another thread about lease cars in AD very recently. Try a search.
Good luck! :thumbup:

domdom85 Nov 10th 2008 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Processed beats (Post 6955943)
I am a single (but not for long) Mancunian who has received a job offer from an AD Govt entity as a contracts manager. Details are ;
Salary 26,000 AED per month
Housing allowance 170,000 AED PA or company sourced accomodation
Settling in allowance (one off) 47,500AED
No car allowance
annual leave 25days
1 Annual leave ticket PA
Joining and repatriation air ticket

The salary is about the same as I get in the UK and have'nt fallen for the tax free pitch in view of the inflation in AD;
I have 10 years experience and would like to know if this offer is reasonable ? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Hiya, this is pretty good, if you're chartered then you could probably get more than this in my experience.

Just make sure that you can check out the accomodation, have they given you any idea of location at all?

School fees is pretty generous, average for the international schools is around 46K AED a year.

Congrats though :)

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Nov 10th 2008 1:29 pm

Looks like a really good offer. I'd take it! And don't worry too much about accommodation, you'll find something. I don't know anyone in Abu Dhabi who is homeless...

Shadya Nov 10th 2008 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by domdom85 (Post 6958651)
Hiya, this is pretty good, if you're chartered then you could probably get more than this in my experience.

Just make sure that you can check out the accomodation, have they given you any idea of location at all?

School fees is pretty generous, average for the international schools is around 46K AED a year.

Congrats though :)

What does "school fees is pretty generous" mean? He isn't even married yet so school fees are not required, surely?

domdom85 Nov 10th 2008 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 6958690)
What does "school fees is pretty generous" mean? He isn't even married yet so school fees are not required, surely?

Well yeah, but the allowance is good for when he does need it.

A lot of companies I know aren't offering so much any more.