Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Human Resources jobs in Dubai

Human Resources jobs in Dubai

Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Crash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to behold
Default Human Resources jobs in Dubai

I will be in Dubai for most of April, combination vacation/looking for work. I currently work as a senior human resources manager for a large MNC in the USA, and have decided to look for opportunities within the GCC, specifically in Dubai or Qatar. Most of my recent work is in organizational strategy and leadership development/training. I have done loads of research on working/living within the GCC. However, I have seen very little (actually none) information about expats working in HR. I have posted for a number of jobs online, but based on feedback from the many posts about finding work in Dubai I think that visiting and meeting people will increase my chances.

Some of the questions I have are:

Is there anyone on the board who works in HR and would be willing to do some casual networking with me via pm or email?

Also wondering if there are any expats on the board who are University of Texas at Austin alums?

Is there a certain time of year that most of the hiring in Dubai takes place (for more senior positions), or is it ongoing all year? I have heard that most of the hiring takes place between January and May.

How valued is the human resources function for reputable companies in Dubai?

If you don’t work in HR, how are they generally viewed as a department? Are they generally helpful? Do they address your issues in a satisfactory manner?

Has any one had any luck setting up an independent HR consultancy?

Thanks for any feedback!!
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:03 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Human Resources jobs in Dubai

Originally Posted by Crash
I will be in Dubai for most of April, combination vacation/looking for work. I currently work as a senior human resources manager for a large MNC in the USA, and have decided to look for opportunities within the GCC, specifically in Dubai or Qatar. Most of my recent work is in organizational strategy and leadership development/training. I have done loads of research on working/living within the GCC. However, I have seen very little (actually none) information about expats working in HR. I have posted for a number of jobs online, but based on feedback from the many posts about finding work in Dubai I think that visiting and meeting people will increase my chances.

Is there anyone on the board who works in HR and would be willing to do some casual networking with me via pm or email?

Also wondering if there are any expats on the board who are University of Texas at Austin alums?

Is there a certain time of year that most of the hiring in Dubai takes place (for more senior positions), or is it ongoing all year? I have heard that most of the hiring takes place between January and May.

If you don’t work in HR, how are they generally viewed as a department? Are they generally helpful? Do they address your issues in a satisfactory manner?

Texas, eh? Dubai is just one letter from Dubya. Now that's a worry.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Large MNC doesn't help, whats your industry? If the link to Texas implies oil or Haliburton you might be alright

I am in HR, but not in Doha. I can share some stories about trying to get a job in HR in Doha though !
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Crash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Tootsie, maybe I can pm you some additional detail, I am not in the oil business. I work in the automotive (manufacturing) industry.

Thanks LittleJimmy, yes you guessed right, I am originally from Texas, Dallas to be specific. Hopefully Dubya doesn't have his sights on Dubai next . Love your blog, never thought I would know so much about QS's. Hope things are going better there for you!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 4:56 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tootsie, maybe I can pm you some additional detail, I am not in the oil business. I work in the automotive (manufacturing) industry.

Thanks LittleJimmy, yes you guessed right, I am originally from Texas, Dallas to be specific. Hopefully Dubya doesn't have his sights on Dubai next . Love your blog, never thought I would know so much about QS's. Hope things are going better there for you!
I would suggest you contact some of the american companies who are based here say in the free zones for example. Jebel Ali, Airport Free Zone. I used to be in HR but hated it. Drug companies are also worth targetting. Take a look at healthcare city. Register with all the agencies, see the wikipedia at top of page.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info BC. I had planned to stay at the Arabian Park Hotel (I saw that you recommend them from another post), but my friends insisted I stay with them. Looks like a nice place - is their restaurant worth visiting?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:15 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info BC. I had planned to stay at the Arabian Park Hotel (I saw that you recommend them from another post), but my friends insisted I stay with them. Looks like a nice place - is their restaurant worth visiting?
depends on where your staying really, there are plenty nicer places around but that is handy. I am sure your friends will keep you entertained though! have a great time.,
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:15 pm
W10

The government has set a law that ALL HR managers have to be Emiratis within the next three years.

And while I seriously doubt that will happen entirely (most probably Westerners will be given consultancy roles or different job titles), it will effect the hiring policy of many companies.

Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:35 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by W10
The government has set a law that ALL HR managers have to be Emiratis within the next three years.

And while I seriously doubt that will happen entirely (most probably Westerners will be given consultancy roles or different job titles), it will effect the hiring policy of many companies.
forgot about that, but alot of these laws come out and then are never followed through.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I read about that. From everything I have read though, it appears that they will not have the depth of experience in HR from the local Emirati population that soon. I concur that if that law does take effect, that there will be a lot of opportunities for HR consultancy.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, feel free.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here's the links I promised you.

http://www.clarendonparker.com/web/c...af45087b8.aspx

http://www.keyresourcesrecruitment-qatar.com/

http://www.gulftalent.com/home/canPo...arch=&pos_ref=

http://www.monstergulf.com/

If you follow anything up, and potentially get anywhere. I would advise you to watch sponsorship issues with anything starting Qatar, particularly Qatar Airways.

Good luck.