British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   HSBC Withdrawals from HSBC plus account in UAE...? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/hsbc-withdrawals-hsbc-plus-account-uae-663875/)

DhirenSharma Apr 13th 2010 8:36 pm

HSBC Withdrawals from HSBC plus account in UAE...?

Hi GUYS!

This is my first thread... so be easy...

Moving out to Dubai next week... pretty excited... Not sure what to expect... will be reading up on this site quite a bit over the next few days...

Quick question...

I have a UK bank - HSBC - with HSBC Plus... (called HSBC advance Debit now) they say that its free to withdraw cash from HSBC ATM's... is this correct? I would like to hear it from someone with the experience rather than HSBC saying as a sales pitch... When I was in Vegas last year - I used my normal card on HSBC ATM's... and didn't charge me... guessing this would be the same in the UAE...

Also friend has a Barclay card Debit card (also coming out to work for long term) is it wise to keep with a Debit card... or not... (same with me...) OR credit cards the thing up there...?! Is it best to open up a account there? Is it cheaper... ?

Apologies for ALL the questions... greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

regards,
Dhiren
:fingerscrossed:

matt-e Apr 14th 2010 8:36 am

Re: HSBC Withdrawals from HSBC plus account in UAE...?

I don't know the definitive answer but in the past my dealing with HSBC "The World's Local Bank..... apparently" is that their branches here are franchises and as such have no connection with HSBC in UK. That's what they told us when we inquired about transferring money to our HSBC in UK account a few years back.

lionheart Apr 14th 2010 4:19 pm

Yes, they are different but, if you use their on-line banking service here, you will be able to transfer funds to/from HSBC UK at nominal expense.

Tockalosh Apr 14th 2010 4:52 pm

If you use HSBC to withdraw your cash then no problems. Thats why you pay your 6 or 12 quid a month

Sleeplessinthegulf May 9th 2010 5:38 pm

Hi
I have been two weeks in Saudi and am being charged a tenner by Nat West to withdraw around £200 from a cash point here!

I understand HSBC own 60% of a local bank called SABB I will be looking into opening an account there subject to getting iqueeda? or watever its called!

Sleepless!::thumbsup:

Bahtatboy May 10th 2010 5:19 pm

If you want just straightforward private banking here, HSBC aren't the ideal solution. Seems like ADCB are best, but I'll let you know (in the process of opening an account with them).

HSBC here ARE linked to HSBC UK, and SABB in Saudi are part of the same network. Not that it really matters--like most banks they play by their own rules. The service I get from banks in the UK is crap, and crappier here.

I use my Barclays debit card here (in AD and elsewhere in UAE) with no probs except the 2,000 AED limit per day (not sure where that stems from).

jackward201 May 13th 2010 8:35 pm

Hi,

This is correct. If you are a HSBC Advance customer you will not get charged an ATM withdrawal fee for withdrawing outside the UK.

Just a quick question for you, have you looked into HSBC Premier? This has no monthly fee but does have a qualifying criteria of around £60k. It is a more personalised service aswell.

Could this be more beneficial to you/something you could qualify for?

Regards

Bahtatboy May 14th 2010 9:06 am

Originally Posted by jackward201 (Post 8563729)
Hi,

This is correct. If you are a HSBC Advance customer you will not get charged an ATM withdrawal fee for withdrawing outside the UK.

Just a quick question for you, have you looked into HSBC Premier? This has no monthly fee but does have a qualifying criteria of around £60k. It is a more personalised service aswell.

Could this be more beneficial to you/something you could qualify for?

Regards

And as I understand it that 60K has to be on deposit with HSBC!!!

twisty100 May 14th 2010 9:10 am

Dont use HSBC in the UAE, possibly one of the worst experiences of my life... Utter, utter, utter crap and utterly incompetent. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumb down::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:: thumbdown:

lionheart May 14th 2010 10:21 am

Originally Posted by twisty100 (Post 8564601)
Dont use HSBC in the UAE, possibly one of the worst experiences of my life... Utter, utter, utter crap and utterly incompetent. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumb down::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:: thumbdown:

I have been using HSBC here since I arrived. Very few problems encountered. Indeed, I have heard people getting far worse service and adverse experiences from the local banks.

Madam Medusa May 14th 2010 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by twisty100 (Post 8564601)

monsieur medusa would agree with you 100%...they are totally crap...

MM, xx