Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Howard Johnston Hotel Abu Dhabi

Howard Johnston Hotel Abu Dhabi

Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Howard Johnston Hotel Abu Dhabi

Back in the Land that time forgot sunny costa del Saudi after my week in Abu Dhabi by the sea.

Right as promised a report on the Howard Johnston Hotel in Abu Dhabi by the sea.

I telephoned the hotel a couple of weeks ago requesting a price for a 4 nights stay, the price I was quoted was far too high, so I had a look on my number one web site I use for all my overseas travel arrangements.
They had the hotel as a 1/3 rd off the price I was quoted by the hotel itself.

So I booked the hotel a single room for the 4 nights via the internet every thing is confirmed and oft I go out of the costa del Saudi sand pit and into the Emirates sand pit.

I arrive at the hotel early evening about 9pm all is well.
I check in the young lady says to me sorry sir but we have no more single rooms available, but we upgrade you free of charge into a suite, very nice I said.

The bar this is where a few of you have made comments !!! ha ha
Yes there was only one bar open the flip flop mafia bar was closed. Shame I liked that one,
But the Chinese bar was open, I should have guessed what type of bar it would have been but I did pop my little head around the door for all of 5 minutes , if that long needless to say I didn’t stay .

The Hotel itself is like I remembered it from a few years ago nothing has changed .
For me I found it a nice place the food was ok the room was also ok no comments there.

The only two comments I would make is
1/ The Chinese ladies bar !!!
2/ Across the road to the hotel where the old Zakeer tower used to be
now its been taken down and a lot of noise coming from that area.

How many people remember the old Zakeer tower a bar on nearly every floor, for me I liked churchills, When Joseph and little Lenny (Bless her ) used to run the place and the beer was only 7 Dhs a pint.

But apart from that, from me and my comments only I have nil problems about the Howard Johnston.
But this is me and my comments only.
I am sure many other people will have something else to say !!!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Howard Johnston Hotel Abu Dhabi

Sounds like it was a bit quieter due to Ramadan! I remember Churchills and I also remember the dodgy lift that used to stop at nearly every floor -didn't know there was a bar on every floor though but I suppose that's why the lift was well used. Glad you enjoyed your trip back to AD - it has changed a lot over the last 3 years.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Howard Johnston Hotel Abu Dhabi

the dodgy lift ha ha it used to stop on the 3/4 floors i seem to remember that one of them was an africian type bar.
i was only back in abu dhabi in june july for a meeting i try and get back about 3/4 times a year
just to refresh ye old grey matter, wow you need it working with these brain dead stupid, fat, lazy idiots over here in the saudi sand pit.

yes of course parts of abu dhabi have changed, the new reem island project !!!

the new projects along the coniche as well

some of the bars just never change at all
the german bar but i hear that is up for a revamp as we speak, old battle axe frau tina,
mode indigo,the trap, harvesters, hemmingways, red lion
the tavern. just to name a few.
but parts of auh just never seem to change at all. even when i first arrived in auh some 14 years ago.