British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   How to survive in August in Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-survive-august-doha-830340/)

primularossa Apr 3rd 2014 11:26 am

How to survive in August in Doha

Dear all

I'm asking for advices: how to survive with an 8 years old girl in Doha in August, just arrived from Europe? What to do to entertain her, let her meet other children, not to stay in the hot? I suppose it is not possible to go to the seaside, or people go also in August?

thanks a lot....

(HR department of Qatar Foundation, the employer of my husband, told us today that the rest of the family will need at least one month before having the Residence Permit.
This means that we (me and my daughter) must arrive to Doha at the end of July - beginning of August.
Mu husband fears that our daughter (aged 8) will be shocked for the temperatures.
Moreover, there will be no many kids around, I suppose).

OriginalSunshine Apr 3rd 2014 11:57 am

Re: How to survive in August in Doha

Ewww - don't! End July beginning August is Ramadhan followed by Eid holidays! Absolutely nothing will happen.

Yes, unlikely to be many kids around - those with non working parents escape back home for the entire summer. I sympathise as it's really difficult. We have a similar problem with our kids as we both work so are in the region for most of the summer.

Make sure you have access to a pool that's suitable for families where you don't get stared at by creeps. It will be hot. Make sure there are plenty of DVDs available (bring them) for chilling out and watching TV where you stay. It's pretty freaking boring in all honesty, but sometimes you just have to do it.

Good luck!

Millhouse Apr 3rd 2014 12:08 pm

Adopt this mind numbing routine:

8am get to the beach
10am leave the beach
11am - 3pm -- prepare lunch, slowly eat it, watch a movie
3pm-4pm -- focus on not going crazy, do some board games.
4pm - venture outside for a bike ride or go to the pool.

You can vary this with trips to the mall, cinema and watching the indoor plants grow.

primularossa Apr 3rd 2014 12:11 pm

dear OriginalSunshine

I am aware it will be a problem to come in late July
but the facts are

- my hubby will stat working in June and this means that he cannot come back to Europe until he has his RP (as far as we understand)

- our daughter has to start school in September, and this is not possible without RP, that will take about one month to be issued.

We will check about Ramadan dates and opening of public offices, because I fear that all public offices will be closed, with no opportunities to get our RP in time for school openings, right?

we don't want the she starts school late.

thanks a lot for your advice

if you are in Doha with kids let's keep in touch, we might entertain them together. :-)

Primula

britexpat76 Apr 3rd 2014 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11202737)
Ewww - don't! End July beginning August is Ramadhan followed by Eid holidays! Absolutely nothing will happen.

Yes, unlikely to be many kids around - those with non working parents escape back home for the entire summer. I sympathise as it's really difficult. We have a similar problem with our kids as we both work so are in the region for most of the summer.

Make sure you have access to a pool that's suitable for families where you don't get stared at by creeps. It will be hot. Make sure there are plenty of DVDs available (bring them) for chilling out and watching TV where you stay. It's pretty freaking boring in all honesty, but sometimes you just have to do it.

Good luck!

Ramadan is July this year......... Infact it starts at the end of June (When I get out of dodge)

A lot depends on your accommodation, Are you in a compound with like minded people? In an apartment with an indoor pool? There are always people about, check out the facebook page doha mums (I Think) failing that - if you are really desperate look at Expat Witches and just bitch about how shit your maid is, where you can buy darjeeling and how much your dearest OH is making..............

primularossa Apr 3rd 2014 12:57 pm

well, Qatar Foundation offers accommodations in compounds and in apartments. I'll tell my hubby to opt for a compound, possibly with swimming pool.
In QF compounds there should be other families employed by QF, mainly scientific researchers as my hubby (try to imagine the conversations!) :-)
the most likely thing is that he will come to Doha at the beginning of June and that we will follow at the end of July....IF - IF - we have a place in a school....(we still don't know) :-(

Alexa Apr 3rd 2014 1:17 pm

go here : www.expatwoman.com

They will be able to help you :)

joedolce Apr 3rd 2014 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11202748)
Adopt this mind numbing routine:

8am get to the beach
10am leave the beach
11am - 3pm -- prepare lunch, slowly eat it, watch a movie
3pm-4pm -- focus on not going crazy, do some board games.
4pm - venture outside for a bike ride or go to the pool.

You can vary this with trips to the mall, cinema and watching the indoor plants grow.

Sounds like a pretty nice routine to me.

OriginalSunshine Apr 3rd 2014 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by primularossa (Post 11202753)
We will check about Ramadan dates and opening of public offices, because I fear that all public offices will be closed, with no opportunities to get our RP in time for school openings, right?

we don't want the she starts school late.

thanks a lot for your advice

if you are in Doha with kids let's keep in touch, we might entertain them together. :-)

Primula

Yes

She might have to - just ensure she has a place and pay for it!

You're welcome

I'm in Oman - I don't think you'll be allowed out to play :p