British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   How suitable is Dubai for a young, single female living there full time? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-suitable-dubai-young-single-female-living-there-full-time-919601/)

sophieclife Nov 25th 2018 2:55 pm

How suitable is Dubai for a young, single female living there full time?

I am a 26-year-old single female from the UK who is considering moving to Dubai.
I will not be working, but getting a visa through buying an apartment, and living off savings I received via an inheritance.

Since I will not be working for a company, like most single women do, I am trying to understand what the situation will be like for me as a single female living in Dubai - without the support system of a company.
I will be on my own so far as making all living arrangements, etc.

Friends and family have tried to put me off going to Dubai, for the following reasons that they have heard from the "media" over here:

a) Every week we get some horror story about Dubai in the press here: English tourists locked up for no good reason, then given legal documents in Arabic to sign, and given no interpreters, etc.

b) Women locked up for reporting rapes, since they "slept" with someone to whom they were not married.

c) Dubai not being a friendly place in general for single white females due to "Islamic" values.

d) If you ever get entangled in anything, no matter how unwittingly or accidentally - good luck, as you will be stuck.

e) It is illegal to be alone in a room with a man unless married - so does this mean we have to remain celibate?

f) You can't live there for 4 months of the year because it is way too hot.

g) Dubai's water supply at any one time only lasts for 7 days, and if ever there were any infrastructure problems like power cuts, you would both boil and die of thirst!

I know the media exaggerates things, so I wanted to speak to any single UK females who are living in Dubai to give me the real story of day to day life, and whether I could live there full-time without any problems.

Additionally, I'd appreciate suggestions on the best/nicest place to live for a single female (I have a large budget so expense is not an issue).

DXBtoDOH Nov 25th 2018 4:35 pm

Re: How suitable is Dubai for a young, single female living there full time?

Originally Posted by sophieclife (Post 12599093)
I am a 26-year-old single female from the UK who is considering moving to Dubai.
I will not be working, but getting a visa through buying an apartment, and living off savings I received via an inheritance.

Since I will not be working for a company, like most single women do, I am trying to understand what the situation will be like for me as a single female living in Dubai - without the support system of a company.

Friends and family have tried to put me off going to Dubai, for the following reasons that they have heard from the "media" over here:

a) Every week we get some horror story about Dubai in the press here: English tourists locked up for no good reason, then given legal documents in Arabic to sign, and given no interpreters, etc.

b) Women locked up for reporting rapes, since they "slept" with someone to whom they were not married.

c) Dubai not being a friendly place in general for single white females due to "Islamic" values.

d) If you ever get entangled in anything, no matter how unwittingly or accidentally - good luck, as you will be stuck.

e) It is illegal to be alone in a room with a man unless married - so does this mean we have to remain celibate?

g) Dubai's water supply at any one time only lasts for 7 days, and if ever there were any infrastructure problems like power cuts, you would both boil and die of thirst!

I know the media exaggerates things, so I wanted to speak to any single UK females who are living in Dubai to give me the real story of day to day life, and whether I could live there full-time without any problems.

Additionally, I'd appreciate suggestions on the best/nicest place to live for a single female (I have a large budget so expense is not an issue).

Cool it. You're obviously looking to stir up controversy rather than a sincere poster.

Let me put it politely. Bugger off.

(hint: you won't get residency visa from buying an apartment).

sophieclife Nov 25th 2018 5:17 pm

Umm... No, I'm really not. If my wording offended you, then I'm sorry, but I came to this forum looking for help.

From my understanding, it is possible to get a Visa if the property price is high enough (I have consulted with a lawyer).

I'd appreciate answers from anyone else, who cares to be a bit more helpful to a new member.

Sabi Star Nov 25th 2018 5:38 pm

I don't think you can get residency by buying a property unless law changed recently. You would have to go out of UAE such as at road borders with Oman every 30 days to renew Visa (not difficult). Your main problems will be boredom and loneliness if you stay long term so don't buy a property as you may not be able to sell it easily. Have you ever been to Dubai?

sophieclife Nov 25th 2018 5:59 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Property Visa is definitely a thing:

"The UAE's decision to allow for longer term residence visas and 100 per cent foreign ownership in companies is expected to have a significant impact on the property market, both residential and commercial. End-user expatriates who have hitherto chosen to rent property in the UAE could now consider buying a home, given the long-term legal clarity now available.

The existing property visa is a two-year renewable property investor visa issued by the Dubai Land Department for a freehold property valued at Dh1 million or more on the title deed. This is specifically for Dubai property investments. There is also a six-month residency visa, a multiple-entry visa that is issued by the relevant immigration authority, that applies to property purchases across the UAE.

"We welcome the changes to residency visa regulations, which will undoubtedly have a positive effect on the UAE economy - and in particular the real estate sector," said Nakheel chairman Ali Rashid Lootah.

From Khaleej Times, "10-year visa: More expats will invest in freehold homes", May 2018. (I am unable to post the direct link since I'm a new member).

I have not visited Dubai yet. I plan to visit before I actually make the move there, of course, but I want to do some preliminary research about day to day life there for a single woman. Loneliness isn't something I'm worried about since I'm quite a hermit by nature, right now I'm mostly concerned with how practical/advisable it would be for a single woman to live there, without the support system of a company package.

Jerseygirl Nov 25th 2018 6:28 pm

What? You haven’t even visited Dubai but you want to buy property and live there...plus you seem to know nothing about the place.

sophieclife Nov 25th 2018 6:42 pm

HENCE, I am asking for advice and info!

scot47 Nov 25th 2018 7:39 pm

This is a wind-up Best ignore it.

pupdawg82 Nov 26th 2018 2:57 am

Just visit once and see it yourself

Jerseygirl Nov 26th 2018 3:03 am

Originally Posted by sophieclife (Post 12599172)
HENCE, I am asking for advice and info!

I have spent holidays in Dubai and will be doing so again in January. It is not a place I would want to live.

reddiva Nov 26th 2018 3:24 am

Originally Posted by sophieclife (Post 12599093)

I will bite. Single UK Female living here. Everything you have written could come straight out of the DM
12 years with no issues and feel safer here than i do in my home town, never died of thirst, had any run ins with the Police unless you count the time they pulled my car out of the sand and helped me change my tyre. We have air conditioning everywhere. You are extremely naive or a complete wind up merchant ( I propose the latter)
Why on earth would you consider buying a house in a country you have never visited.

Now i am off to get the popcorn

Jerseygirl Nov 26th 2018 3:30 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12599124)
Cool it. You're obviously looking to stir up controversy rather than a sincere poster.

Let me put it politely. Bugger off.

(hint: you won't get residency visa from buying an apartment).

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12599205)
This is a wind-up Best ignore it.

Hey...steady on tiger. Please can we give the OP the benefit of the doubt?:fingerscrossed:

spouse of scouse Nov 26th 2018 3:46 am

Yep, happens every day - I suggest telling police you're Scottish, or Welsh, or from Northern Ireland, you'll be fine.

Yep, happens every day - but only if you're English, see above, you'll be fine.

Yep, happens every day - I suggest wearing a wedding ring and getting a tan, you'll be fine.

Yep, happens every day - I heard that an English, white, single female got entangled in one of those revolving doors, she's still stuck.

Yep, happens every day - every English, white, single female is assigned her own personal police minder to make sure she's never in a room alone with a man and doesn't have sex. If you're gay, you'll be fine.

Yep, every day for 4 months all English, single, white females in Dubai die. You probably won't be fine.

Yep, every time there's a power cut all English, single, white females in Dubai boil and die on the 7th day. Unless they're already dead from the 4 months thing.

DXBtoDOH Nov 26th 2018 4:55 am

Originally Posted by sophieclife (Post 12599155)
Thank you for your reply.

Property Visa is definitely a thing:

"The UAE's decision to allow for longer term residence visas and 100 per cent foreign ownership in companies is expected to have a significant impact on the property market, both residential and commercial. End-user expatriates who have hitherto chosen to rent property in the UAE could now consider buying a home, given the long-term legal clarity now available.

The existing property visa is a two-year renewable property investor visa issued by the Dubai Land Department for a freehold property valued at Dh1 million or more on the title deed. This is specifically for Dubai property investments. There is also a six-month residency visa, a multiple-entry visa that is issued by the relevant immigration authority, that applies to property purchases across the UAE.

"We welcome the changes to residency visa regulations, which will undoubtedly have a positive effect on the UAE economy - and in particular the real estate sector," said Nakheel chairman Ali Rashid Lootah.

From Khaleej Times, "10-year visa: More expats will invest in freehold homes", May 2018. (I am unable to post the direct link since I'm a new member).

I have not visited Dubai yet. I plan to visit before I actually make the move there, of course, but I want to do some preliminary research about day to day life there for a single woman. Loneliness isn't something I'm worried about since I'm quite a hermit by nature, right now I'm mostly concerned with how practical/advisable it would be for a single woman to live there, without the support system of a company package.

Don't bank on it. People have been talking about this for more than a decade now but nothing has ever come out of it. Doesn't matter what announcement has been made. You're still subject to approval by Immigration for the visa and they can easily reject it. As they will in your case as you're merely a chit of a girl with no job.

If you're genuinely sincere (which I still strongly doubt because the timing of your post is waayyyyyyyyyy too convenient with the moronic Matthew Hedges in the papers), best is to come out to Dubai, find a flatshare (or hotel apartment) and do visa runs for a year and see how you like the place. There are certainly shallow and materialistic people in Dubai and bars aplenty so I'm sure you'll find your crowd. The Lebanese will probably lap you up but be careful of Arab men. They only want your money and your passport.

reddiva Nov 26th 2018 5:21 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12599389)
Don't bank on it. People have been talking about this for more than a decade now but nothing has ever come out of it. Doesn't matter what announcement has been made. You're still subject to approval by Immigration for the visa and they can easily reject it. As they will in your case as you're merely a chit of a girl with no job.

If you're genuinely sincere (which I still strongly doubt because the timing of your post is waayyyyyyyyyy too convenient with the moronic Matthew Hedges in the papers), best is to come out to Dubai, find a flatshare (or hotel apartment) and do visa runs for a year and see how you like the place. There are certainly shallow and materialistic people in Dubai and bars aplenty so I'm sure you'll find your crowd. The Lebanese will probably lap you up but be careful of Arab men. They only want your money and your passport.

There was something two days ago on Business Breakfast radio show that property owners who spend over x amount can get a visa for 5 years. I believe this is a new thing