Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Old Feb 10th 2015, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Asho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Originally Posted by ph071241
Hi there

Just a brief query... I have been asked to go out to Basra for my work.This would not be through a large corporate and there, presumably not involve the massive security and compound infrastructure that you mentioned.

I am not easily spooked regarding horror stories of certain places. However, what would you suggest to be the minimum safeguards that should be in place whilst I am there.

Cheers

D
First of all I would want to know how long youre planning on visiting and who will be looking after you.

There are two hotels I would recommend

The Basra International Hotel (locally known as the Sheraton)
Five star hotel in basra city

and the Mnawi Basha
Mnawi Basha Hotel - HOME PAGE

Like most places that you aren't familiar with I would avoid going out at night on my own. Try and arrange any meetings you have at the hotel you are staying (both have more than adequate security)

Only travel with a trusted person (whether that's arranged by your company or through a third party)

In all honesty you should be alright if youre staying in the city.
I wouldn't venture out to areas where you have no need to be.
Id be wary of the Officials here as you are probably aware these types of countries require certain "taxes" to be paid, so ensure you have the correct paperwork, visa, letters etc etc.

But from the airport if you pre-arranged travel with a trusted person they could take you straight to the hotel. All the main carriers fly into Basra, Emirates, Qatar Airways, Turkish, Fly Dubai, Etihad etc etc.

Obviously respect the local culture and religion and avoid engaging in any talk about the ongoing insurgency in the north.

If you are a Western Woman travelling on your own id avoid it. If youre a male and like you say don't scare easily you'll be fine. A friend of mine recently visited Iraq on a photography assignment for the UN and had a trouble free stay. However he had UN links and connections.

There are security companies that you can hire on an adhoc basis but it really depends on where you want to go and what you plan on doing. If its just a few meetings, the hotels will suffice. If you need to travel all over the province I would consider looking at some form of security.

Maybe even worth trying to get in comms with the local Provincial COuncil if your visit is official in any way.

Any more help or advice just let me know

Cheers
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Duffy1027 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got an interesting question that will no doubt require answer via private message but: How do you chaps invest all of that vast amount of money you make over there?
Old Feb 27th 2015, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Asho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duffy1027
I've got an interesting question that will no doubt require answer via private message but: How do you chaps invest all of that vast amount of money you make over there?
I invest most of my money on fast cars, cheap women and cocaine. The rest has just been wasted.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Well that answers it then!
Old Feb 27th 2015, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Well that answers it then!
haha, im the wrong person to ask ref. Investments. wouldn't know where to begin.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 10:16 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully offshore...
Old Mar 1st 2015, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi Meow. Thanks. I think I'm getting closer. I ask because this opportunity is the best thing that has occurred for me in decades (if I get the offer). I'm not a spring chicken and I want to save and invest as much as possible before I call it quits. I know some of you chaps out there have really saved and I want to learn how.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 7:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Meow. Thanks. I think I'm getting closer. I ask because this opportunity is the best thing that has occurred for me in decades (if I get the offer). I'm not a spring chicken and I want to save and invest as much as possible before I call it quits. I know some of you chaps out there have really saved and I want to learn how.
Dead easy. Spend less than you earn.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:54 am
Just Joined

I can't argue with that.

Originally Posted by Meow
Dead easy. Spend less than you earn.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

jeesentia01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Asho7225
I work in Basra now. Ive been in Iraq for 3 years having spent time in the military when it was dangerous.

There is no longer a threat of camps getting rocketed or mortared. Incidents across the country are probably less than incidents across London per day.

Yes you read the papers and hear bombs go off, but they go off against Civilian and Government of Iraq Targets. We have seen maybe 6 incidents in the last 6 months, NONE of which killed any ex pats.

Your husband isn't going to be allowed to go "down town" he will get picked up from the International airport where Emirates/Turkish/Qatar airways all fly into (would they fly in if it was dangerous?) He will get picked up by a security team and taken to a secure camp that has guards and security. No camp has been attacked.

Iraq during 2006/2007 was crazy. Afghan is crazy. Basra is the jewel in the crown for Iraq, it is a hub of activity with International companies coming in daily. Hotels are being built, new roads, basra has a new football stadium being built for the Gulf Cup Nations tournament Jan next year. Basra Security forces want this place to remain safe. Because if anything targeted an International company they would just leave.

Is Iraq safe? not massively. Is Basra safe to work in ? YES. Because we don't put ourselves in situations that may be dangerous. We don't go out, drink,etc. Is London, New York etc Safe to work? muggings, stabbings, drunken idiots fighting, gangs........ If the security situation changed expats would be removed immediately. If your husband has the opportunity to do it and earn some money do it. It wont look bad on his CV, he will make contacts from around the world.

PM me for further info if you require any more advice.

Its definitely not the worst Country in the middle east
Asho7225,

I feel very happy to read this comment. even though it's 2yrs old now. Can you please confirm that with the whole ISIS thing going on in the ME, that the situation remains the same or better as I am about taking an offer in the Rumaila field, the pay is really really good, the only concern I have is the security situation.
Old May 2nd 2015, 7:04 pm
cba
Just Joined

cba is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Hey Asho (or anyone else living in Basrah),

I'm planning to drive through Basrah in August on a roadtrip from Dubai to London. Will be passing from the Kuwait Safwan border, through Basrah city, to the Iranian Shalamche border. Would appreciate some advice! Please Inbox.

Cheers
Old May 3rd 2015, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Ktcook is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all... I fell upon this thread and was hoping I could get some information. First of all, I'm not British, Canadian, but regardless of nationality I'm a young guy look to work abroad. I'm a 26 year old who's worked in oil and gas operations for four years (field and plant, control room, commissioning, etc) with tickets in gas processing and production operations along with certification in steam operations (we call it power engineering in Canada). Is a person in my position with my level of experience of interest to oil and gas companies in places like Iraq or Kazakhstan or places such as that? I've really found it hard to find good information, and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Chile is an unknown quantity at this point

Goodday, Please i just got an offer with the Chinese National Offshore Oil Company in Maysan Province.

Please i want your advise about the safety of that region.

Thanks
Old Dec 11th 2015, 1:57 am
Just Joined

TacMo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Asho7225
haha, im the wrong person to ask ref. Investments. wouldn't know where to begin.

Hello all. I have a job offer in Basra. What's the current threat level. I've never been to Iraq so I have quite a few questions. Current situation first I guess. Thanks and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TM
Old Dec 13th 2015, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TacMo
Post#2 (Need three to get messaging capability) Hello everyone. I'm considering a job in Basra. It will be my first time in Iraq and obviously I have a ton of questions. Let's start with what's the current threat level for U.S. workers there? Thanks. ~TM
Threat level for US workers is the same as for any Westerner out here.It will obviously depend on what company you work for and the type of security they have.
If you work for Exxon for example, you will be transported from the airport and driven in an armoured vehicle to a camp that is secured by a security company, that will employ locals. The locals are generally supervised by Expats (generally ex military guys).
There is no threat currently of rocket attacks or major IEDs targeting security companies or the IOCs, however the threat in Basra comes from the locals, be it militia groups (currently they don't like Turkish citizens) also from the tribes, who feel the IOCs are not sharing the wealth or giving the locals enough jobs. There remains a threat of kidnapping in any of these types of countries but this threat is mitigated by the employment of armed security companies.
I have personally worked in Iraq since 2010. I know people who have been here since 2003. There is always a threat in these types of places but depending on your job, you wont be put in any real harms way.
I would need further info or where/who you are looking at working with and can give you a better idea of the situation. But generally I would say its fine, and the money will be a deciding factor for you. Work is tough to come by at present and if you can get it I would say go for it. Basra isn't as bad as the rest of the country, just political, tribal and criminal activity are the main areas of concern. Plus remembering to be culturally sensitive at all times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.