British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-safe-work-iraq-basra-802404/)

weasel decentral Jul 11th 2013 8:00 am

Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Originally Posted by Asho7225 (Post 10794449)
Don't get me wrong, as seen in Egypt things can change dramatically overnight. However if it did there would be measures put in place to get Expats out.

If your husband has been offered a job he will be looked after accordingly. Plus he will get a lovely tan ;)

Me having a husband would involve a major lifestyle change

Asho7225 Jul 11th 2013 8:29 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10794470)

haha obviously not you but the young lady who started the thread!! but each to their own!

co durham boy Jul 11th 2013 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10792839)
You forgot one, NDIA only has 1 or has the other been built?

The N.D.I.A has had the new runway down for over 18 months . The exsisting airport the D.I.A has the ongoing facility .

N.D.I.A due to open anytime in the next 20 years ;)

Meow Jul 11th 2013 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10794372)
I want to go and work there now :-)

I don't think you do. Asho7725 says they don't go out or drink. ;)

Theseus Jul 11th 2013 10:14 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10794536)
The N.D.I.A has had the new runway down for over 18 months . The exsisting airport the D.I.A has the ongoing facility .

N.D.I.A due to open anytime in the next 20 years ;)

I wasn't sure if the western runway had been completed as the current interim aerodrome licence only covers the Eastern runway.

DOHDUBMAN Jul 11th 2013 1:29 pm

I worked in Basrah last year for 7 months. I wasn't in the city itself but just outside in the rumailah region which is about an hour outside

I work in O&G and security was top notch. We where transported everywhere in large convoys with very experienced ex military personnel. Body armours and helmets worn at all times outside the camp

I never once heard a rocket or mortar but we did get daily reports of bombings and problems on the roads. The main problem out there at the moment is kidnapping but with good security that should be an issue.

I left Iraq after 7 months not because of the security issue but because of the working enviroment. Corruption is massive over there and ive never ever came across so many difficulties and challenges. Ask your husband is it really worth it? My father just sent me an offer he received in Iraq and i told him straight up before looking at the package it isn't worth it.

Nigeria,Romania,Somalia etc ill do but Iraq again defo not!!

Tockalosh Jul 11th 2013 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Asho7225 (Post 10794322)
Absolutely ridiculous comment.

Have a read of my post again and then have a read of yours. I don't see a massive amount of difference bar the young, foolish or ruinously divorced and the fact you lack any sarcasm.

Now you may enjoy living your post squaddie existence and I am sure there are who many who adore the camaraderie, bunk beds, sharing communal showers, homo erotic fantasies of men confined in camps etc etc in some backwater toilet of the world but I suspect most people prefer to walk the streets safe at night, have a beer in a nice bar, enjoy spending time with one's partner and kids in the same country rather than on Skype etc. Now I guess you earn a good wedge and good luck to you so you must think its worth it.

So what was ridiculous ?

Meow Jul 11th 2013 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10794470)

And I thought you were the type to try everything once...

Ena Jul 12th 2013 12:34 am

Originally Posted by RyanC (Post 10795094)

Nigeria,Romania,Somalia etc ill do but Iraq again defo not!!

You think Nigeria and Somalia are better option than Iraq?

Asho7225 Jul 12th 2013 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 10795267)
Have a read of my post again and then have a read of yours. I don't see a massive amount of difference bar the young, foolish or ruinously divorced and the fact you lack any sarcasm.

Now you may enjoy living your post squaddie existence and I am sure there are who many who adore the camaraderie, bunk beds, sharing communal showers, homo erotic fantasies of men confined in camps etc etc in some backwater toilet of the world but I suspect most people prefer to walk the streets safe at night, have a beer in a nice bar, enjoy spending time with one's partner and kids in the same country rather than on Skype etc. Now I guess you earn a good wedge and good luck to you so you must think its worth it.

So what was ridiculous ?

The ridiculous comment was the young foolish or ruinously divorced. People aren't that young out here. ;)

But ill take the bait............... I do very much enjoy living my post squaddie "existence". The camaraderie is second to none, there are no bunk beds, we have en suite, and thoroughly enjoy the homo erotic fantasies of men in confined camps.
Yes most people would obviously prefer to walk the streets safe at night, have a nice beer in a bar, and obviously the kids and family thing Is a big issue.
However........... I get 4 months off a year. Where in civvy street can I get that? Normal people enjoy your beers in the bar, walking the streets at night but work a 9-5. Which for the majority of people I know means waking up at 6 getting a train to London coming home by 8 when the kids are already in bed then repeat til the weekend where they drink in the bars wishing for the 2 week holiday to spain to hurry up.

When I get home I get 1 whole month of quality time with no distractions, and can do everything I need to whilst safe in the knowledge I have a few extra quid in the bank to sit in a nice bar, buy nice things for the family.

Its each to their own. Do I want to work in sh1tholes for the rest of my life? of course not, however my post squaddie existence means I can exist, pay off my mortgage 15 years quicker than I would have and enjoy the finer things in life............. like 3 weeks in spain ;)

co durham boy Jul 13th 2013 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Asho7225 (Post 10797202)
The ridiculous comment was the young foolish or ruinously divorced. People aren't that young out here. ;)

But ill take the bait............... I do very much enjoy living my post squaddie "existence". The camaraderie is second to none, there are no bunk beds, we have en suite, and thoroughly enjoy the homo erotic fantasies of men in confined camps.
Yes most people would obviously prefer to walk the streets safe at night, have a nice beer in a bar, and obviously the kids and family thing Is a big issue.
However........... I get 4 months off a year. Where in civvy street can I get that? Normal people enjoy your beers in the bar, walking the streets at night but work a 9-5. Which for the majority of people I know means waking up at 6 getting a train to London coming home by 8 when the kids are already in bed then repeat til the weekend where they drink in the bars wishing for the 2 week holiday to spain to hurry up.

When I get home I get 1 whole month of quality time with no distractions, and can do everything I need to whilst safe in the knowledge I have a few extra quid in the bank to sit in a nice bar, buy nice things for the family.

Its each to their own. Do I want to work in sh1tholes for the rest of my life? of course not, however my post squaddie existence means I can exist, pay off my mortgage 15 years quicker than I would have and enjoy the finer things in life............. like 3 weeks in spain ;)

Hats off to you mate for working long term in a war zone , you need to be a certain character to handle those postings . I've been offered a shed load over the years and always back heeled them up to now .

Believe you me mate there's far easier options in The Gulf to pay your mortgage off .

Bog Man Jul 13th 2013 9:56 am

I've worked some sh*tholes in O&G exploration and in some respects being in a well known war zone is safer than "marginal" places - look what happened in Algeria! At least in Iraq the security etc is geared up to counter the threat properly if you work for one of the responsible operators. Anyone considering working out there needs to do their own due diligence on the company security arrangements - and don't just think if they're a well known name all will be ok (BP & Statoil in Algeria).

I think many people underestimate the effects on family back home when you work in dodge-ville and the lack of freedom in-country is harder to deal with than the security threat. Which is why I personally would only consider an equal-time 4/4 or 6/6 posting somewhere like Iraq.

Like Asho says - each to their own - and as long as the wedge / leave does it for you then fair play.

Asho7225 Jul 13th 2013 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10798015)
Hats off to you mate for working long term in a war zone , you need to be a certain character to handle those postings . I've been offered a shed load over the years and always back heeled them up to now .

Believe you me mate there's far easier options in The Gulf to pay your mortgage off .

I don't doubt there are far easier options available, however as with the majority of ex squaddies out here, we do actually enjoy the lifestyle as its what we've known for our most of our working adult life, and secondly a high percentage of us didn't do that well at school.............. Being out here also gives us time to rectify that and study for a career we would actually want to be in. Myself im studying a MA. And was only accepted due to my experience in the military and my years out here.

That being said if anyone has any jobs going in less dusty countries drop me a line ;)

Asho7225 Jul 13th 2013 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bog Man (Post 10798102)
I've worked some sh*tholes in O&G exploration and in some respects being in a well known war zone is safer than "marginal" places - look what happened in Algeria! At least in Iraq the security etc is geared up to counter the threat properly if you work for one of the responsible operators. Anyone considering working out there needs to do their own due diligence on the company security arrangements - and don't just think if they're a well known name all will be ok (BP & Statoil in Algeria).

I think many people underestimate the effects on family back home when you work in dodge-ville and the lack of freedom in-country is harder to deal with than the security threat. Which is why I personally would only consider an equal-time 4/4 or 6/6 posting somewhere like Iraq.

Like Asho says - each to their own - and as long as the wedge / leave does it for you then fair play.

Very good points, Iraq is set up for the threat, certain countries in Africa for example underestimate the threat and as a result become an easier target for would be terrorists.

4/4 or 6/6 is the dream. However 8 and 4 is more than doable for the ex soldiers among us. 7 months in Afghan was my longest stint so a 2 monther is a piece of cake!

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 14th 2013 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Asho7225 (Post 10798229)
That being said if anyone has any jobs going in less dusty countries drop me a line ;)

This proves my earlier point.

You won't get offered or take another job in the Gulf.

You won't accept anything that doesn't give you such great time off. Nor will you consider anything that doesn't provide you a good basic, all the other shit and probably meals every day?

Stick to what you're doing, you sounded happy about it before, but now fancy somewhere else?