Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Asho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is to work in Iraq, Basra?

Originally Posted by Scamp
This proves my earlier point.

You won't get offered or take another job in the Gulf.

You won't accept anything that doesn't give you such great time off. Nor will you consider anything that doesn't provide you a good basic, all the other shit and probably meals every day?

Stick to what you're doing, you sounded happy about it before, but now fancy somewhere else?
That last comment was said tongue in cheek. Im under no illusions that a job will just land on doorstep.

And youre right I wont get offered a job somewhere else in the Gulf, mainly due to the fact im not looking nor do I want to work anywhere else. Im not the fondest of these Gulf countries and their restrictions, therefore I would not want to look for a long term job in somewhere like Dubai, Saudi etc. I do it for the money and the time off. Its a sacrifice ive chosen to make.

Youre also right I wont accept another job that wouldn't give me such great time off. Why would I? People who work in Dubai for banks, etc, why do they go there? The money. Plain and simple. Tax free money. However given the opportunity to get 4 months off im sure they would factor that into their decision. Why earn good money if you have no outlet to enjoy it.

And im sure a lot of folk would jump at the chance to work for a company who provides all the basics including accom, meals and all that "other shit". I believe you would be a liar if you said otherwise.

I can only comment from my own experiences but people I know who have worked in Dubai, Saudi, HK all returned home after a few years, all with not as much in the bank as the originally hoped due to the fact that they had to spend big bucks to find accom, had to spend big bucks to live the social life "expected".

You can knock me for choosing a job that pays for all my flights, all my accom and all my food. But If you were given the same opportunity what would you do?

Last edited by Asho7225; Jul 14th 2013 at 8:34 am.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Asho7225
You can knock me for choosing a job that pays for all my flights, all my accom and all my food. But If you were given the same opportunity what would you do?
I never suggested it was right or wrong. I'm just pointing out that you won't be working anywhere other than the types of location that offer that rotation and that military style hand-holding in the future.

It's not a criticism, just an observation.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:37 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I never suggested it was right or wrong. I'm just pointing out that you won't be working anywhere other than the types of location that offer that rotation and that military style hand-holding in the future.

Not strictly true either. I know plenty of people in the OG industry who rotate 28/28 in Dubai working in shipyards. Living in serviced apartments or rented apartments in the old town. Everything paid for them including a good per diem to cover food.

No military "hand-holding" as you daftly put it and its living in Dubai, not Baghdad.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by commander
Not strictly true either. I know plenty of people in the OG industry who rotate 28/28 in Dubai working in shipyards. Living in serviced apartments or rented apartments in the old town. Everything paid for them including a good per diem to cover food.

No military "hand-holding" as you daftly put it and its living in Dubai, not Baghdad.
Different industry, in O+G that's far from abnormal.

Nothing daft about what I put either.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why is suggesting that the military 'hand holds' daft? If someone moves overseas with the forces, accommodation is either found or provided and you get support with legalities and have no issues regarding visas etc. It's certainly easier than moving overseas off your own bat.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:53 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Why is suggesting that the military 'hand holds' daft? If someone moves overseas with the forces, accommodation is either found or provided and you get support with legalities and have no issues regarding visas etc. It's certainly easier than moving overseas off your own bat.
fair point both of you. What I guess I meant, but didn't say is that it is not just the military that "hold hands" when it comes to living overseas. Most companies provide hand-holding at varying levels.

I just got the impression that the military was looked upon as an easy option because everything is taken care of for you. Well so is being a teacher, Oil and Gas professional and many other industries that provide accommodation/visa's etc.

Ive seen it from both sides and I have to say my current company take care of me and my needs a whole lot better than the military ever did.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Asho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond reputeAsho7225 has a reputation beyond repute

Military hand holding kind of sounds like a criticism. Believe it or not, I had a life before I joined the military and I have a life now after it.
The military believe it or not teaches you many things one of which is how to look after yourself. When I decide ive had enough earning a good wage, tax free, with 4 months off a year I have no concerns that ill be able to get a "normal" job.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:55 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

fair point both of you. What I guess I meant, but didn't say is that it is not just the military that "hold hands" when it comes to living overseas. Most companies provide hand-holding at varying levels.

I just got the impression that the military was looked upon as an easy option because everything is taken care of for you. Well so is being a teacher, Oil and Gas professional and many other industries that provide accommodation/visa's etc.

Ive seen it from both sides and I have to say my current company take care of me and my needs a whole lot better than the military ever did.
I think you have been lucky. I am constantly amazed at the lack of support provided by many companies to new arrivals. So many are just left to work everything out for themselves.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:56 am
Account Closed

Sorry, my point was that if you work in a dangerous location you'll generally be on a camp/compound and everything is just placed in front of you / taken care of etc.

Swapping that for an 'all-in-cash' package somewhere else is rarely well received if the above has been the norm for you.

Still, every individual is different, some don't care which way the bread is buttered.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:57 am
banned

Originally Posted by Meow
I think you have been lucky. I am constantly amazed at the lack of support provided by many companies to new arrivals. So many are just left to work everything out for themselves.
I know there are horror stories. I have worked for 3 different companies since I moved here and have obviously been very lucky. Same with pretty much everyone I know including my family members who have lived and worked in the ME for around 20 years.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:59 am
banned

Sorry, my point was that if you work in a dangerous location you'll generally be on a camp/compound and everything is just placed in front of you / taken care of etc.
Yea, I could just imagine checking out the local real estate market in Helmand, just popping out for dinner tonight..anyone seen a KFC?
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:07 am
Account Closed

Yea, I could just imagine checking out the local real estate market in Helmand, just popping out for dinner tonight..anyone seen a KFC?
....hence why 'hand-holding' isn't really offensive.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

....hence why 'hand-holding' isn't really offensive.
Its not offensive, it just came across as a criticism. Your profile says you live in Dubai. Did you pay to get there yourself. Did you organize your own visas, did you get accom yourself without any help, aid, guidance, do you buy your own food, get subsidized gym membership, pension etc etc etc.As discussed above, most companies/jobs offer that now. A form of handholding wouldn't you say? And how did you get the job? from qualifications attained at Uni I would hazard a guess. How did you pay for that? Student loan? parents? another form of handholding. I might be wrong but I would suggest we all need a little help in life.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Asho7225
Its not offensive, it just came across as a criticism. Your profile says you live in Dubai. Did you pay to get there yourself. Did you organize your own visas, did you get accom yourself without any help, aid, guidance, do you buy your own food, get subsidized gym membership, pension etc etc etc.As discussed above, most companies/jobs offer that now. A form of handholding wouldn't you say? And how did you get the job? from qualifications attained at Uni I would hazard a guess. How did you pay for that? Student loan? parents? another form of handholding. I might be wrong but I would suggest we all need a little help in life.
With 99% of the members here you'd probably be right, but I'm a lowly peasant unfortunately.

I got my job by being recommended for it. I got flown out here (as per the law), I had accommodation provided for a month (got extended but another story), visa was sorted for me, sorted permanent accomm myself, gym in the building (I've seen it once ), no pension....some handholding, but realistically the bare minimum.

I didn't go to uni.

Definitely all need help in life, you're 100% correct....but I wasn't trying to criticise you as an individual for working in that style / environment, I was just saying that so many chaps do and then refuse / struggle to get their head around not having everything (down to meals per day) being provided for them.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:28 am
banned

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Now you may enjoy living your post squaddie existence and I am sure there are who many who adore the camaraderie, bunk beds, sharing communal showers, homo erotic fantasies of men confined in camps etc etc in some backwater toilet of the world
How utterly condescending.

Assume your wife got tag-teamed by a group of squaddies at some point?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.