British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   How to purchase cheap second hand car in the UAE? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-purchase-cheap-second-hand-car-uae-605163/)

kazic Apr 23rd 2009 7:26 pm

How to purchase cheap second hand car in the UAE?

What is the best way to purchase second hand car in the UAE? I am a kind of purchaser who does not need a car. But, I would buy it right away if it would be offered for the very low price. Where could be found 'the offers nobody would refuse'.

We read that apparently several thousand cars have been abandoned at the airport of Dubai..... I do not believe such stories. If you find the announcement someone is selling the car for 80,000 AED - try to offer him/her 20,000 AED. He/she will refuse it right away.

Isn't it contradictory? People are apparently ready to leave a car at the airoprt and do not want to accept 20,000 AED.

Is there any place people like to get a small amount of cash rather than nothing?

TGFKASE Apr 23rd 2009 7:29 pm

Re: How to purchase cheap second hand car in the UAE?

Originally Posted by kazic (Post 7508219)
What is the best way to purchase second hand car in the UAE? I am a kind of purchaser who does not need a car. But, I would buy it right away if it would be offered for the very low price. Where could be found 'the offers nobody would refuse'.

We read that apparently several thousand cars have been abandoned at the airport of Dubai..... I do not believe such stories. If you find the announcement someone is selling the car for 80,000 AED - try to offer him/her 20,000 AED. He/she will refuse it right away.

Isn't it contradictory? People are apparently ready to leave a car at the airoprt and do not want to accept 20,000 AED.

Is there any place people like to get a small amount of cash rather than nothing?

Think about it... If the car is on a bank loan, you will probably want the title transferred to you when you hand over the 20K.. If it aint enough, they can't accept 20K....

Unless you are willing to hand over 20K and only ask for the keys...

If so, I have a bargain for you, my friend... Much cheapness....

Roadking Apr 23rd 2009 7:32 pm

Oooh, yeah and if you hang around long enough they will offer to pay you to take the car off their hands.

I have an offer, give me your bank account dteails and username and password, I promise-ish to transfer lots n lots of money to you once you pay me $10'000 handling. 'Onest, twust me, my bwoffer was a wapist and he made wots of money...............

Blue Cat Apr 23rd 2009 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7508244)
Oooh, yeah and if you hang around long enough they will offer to pay you to take the car off their hands.

I have an offer, give me your bank account dteails and username and password, I promise-ish to transfer lots n lots of money to you once you pay me $10'000 handling. 'Onest, twust me, my bwoffer was a wapist and he made wots of money...............

saw an example of this on Dubizzle the other day, someone wanting a buyer to take over their car loan, they would pay them 10,000 dhs if they did.

kazic Apr 23rd 2009 7:41 pm

Well, my question was serious.... If someone has a bargain, I would purchase it right away. Is there some internet site offering such cars?

Confucius Apr 23rd 2009 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by kazic (Post 7508276)
Well, my question was serious.... If someone has a bargain, I would purchase it right away. Is there some internet site offering such cars?

Dubizzle...And stop being serious...Life is too short...

TGFKASE Apr 23rd 2009 7:45 pm

Why would you? You already have said you dont need one???

Confucius Apr 23rd 2009 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7508297)

Human nature...

Blue Cat Apr 23rd 2009 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7508297)

make a quick buck out of someone else's misfortune maybe?

kazic Apr 23rd 2009 8:10 pm

No, it is not making a 'quick back of someones misfortune'. I already have a care. However, I would purchase another one (if offered cheaply) just for travelling abroad. But, it is not a necessity. If people are indeed leaving their carts at the airports, it may be better if they would also get some money for them.

Roadking Apr 23rd 2009 8:11 pm

www.imanastyrobbingbastard.com might work

Roadking Apr 23rd 2009 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by kazic (Post 7508409)
No, it is not making a 'quick back of someones misfortune'. I already have a care. However, I would purchase another one (if offered cheaply) just for travelling abroad. But, it is not a necessity. If people are indeed leaving their carts at the airports, it may be better if they would also get some money for them.

Not heard of any carts being left, have you tried Coventry?

grapefruit Apr 23rd 2009 8:27 pm

We read that apparently several thousand cars have been abandoned at the airport of Dubai.....

Those reports misinterpreted a published statistic of 3000 abandoned cars in Dubai during 2008, not Dubai airport in December 2008 as the many illiterate journalists said.

Cheap places would be classified ads at supermarkets, online, newspapers. And bargain hard. I doubt car dealers would be much good, they've never been easy to negotiate with (I haven't tried recently). There's also auctions at the Al Awir car market.

Confucius Apr 23rd 2009 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by grapefruit (Post 7508477)
Those reports misinterpreted a published statistic of 3000 abandoned cars in Dubai during 2008, not Dubai airport in December 2008 as the many illiterate journalists said.

Cheap places would be classified ads at supermarkets, online, newspapers. And bargain hard. I doubt car dealers would be much good, they've never been easy to negotiate with (I haven't tried recently). There's also auctions at the Al Awir car market.

I still beg to differ on your first paragraph...
3,000 cars a year, that about 8-9 cars towed out on an average day...Still alot...Plus, there are thousands upon thousands of cars left in the parking at home...There are 2 cars in my building alone...

grapefruit Apr 23rd 2009 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7508489)
I still beg to differ on your first paragraph...
3,000 cars a year, that about 8-9 cars towed out on an average day...Still alot...Plus, there are thousands upon thousands of cars left in the parking at home...There are 2 cars in my building alone...

3000 a year is not insignificant, but is much less than the 30,000 to 60,000 per year implied by the reports (or more if you assume that not all abandoned cars in Dubai end up at Dubai Airport).