Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How much should I pay our new maid?

How much should I pay our new maid?

Old Jan 28th 2019, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much should I pay our new maid?

We have a lady who comes and looks after our 2 young kids for half a day every day (12pm-6pm), so my wife can enjoy some free time and abuse my credit card... The maid is on her "own visa" and has been here that way for several years.

Now my wife is thinking of looking for work so we are going to take on the maid full time. I am wondering what to offer her. Is the below reasonable?

- 6 days a week from 7 30 am to 6 pm
- Live out (what she wants - She shares a room with her female cousin in a flatshare)
- One flight home per year
- One month of holiday per year plus private sector holidays
- 3000 Dhs a month
- All visa costs, medical, EID etc paid by us of course

Of course she might say no, but I want to give her a fair offer up front rather than negotiating.

As a point of reference, we currently pay her 2000 a month to do 5 afternoons a week.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much should I pay our new maid?

Originally Posted by dominoman
We have a lady who comes and looks after our 2 young kids for half a day every day (12pm-6pm), so my wife can enjoy some free time and abuse my credit card... The maid is on her "own visa" and has been here that way for several years.

Now my wife is thinking of looking for work so we are going to take on the maid full time. I am wondering what to offer her. Is the below reasonable?

- Live out (what she wants - She shares a room with her female cousin in a flatshare)
- 3000 Dhs a month

Of course she might say no, but I want to give her a fair offer up front rather than negotiating.

As a point of reference, we currently pay her 2000 a month to do 5 afternoons a week.

Pay somewhere between what she wants and what your conscience will live with. I reckon 3k + the visas/flights is about right though.

I'm currently looking for a maid... some want 1500... others want 5000 for live in. 2k seems the right number for a live in, so an extra 1k for the accommodation and the cheap tinned sausages they eat and you're golden.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

I’ll never understand why you would leave the most precious thing in your life in the sole charge of a random stranger.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 4:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

- 3000 Dhs a month

It's not quite 5 afternoons, it's 30hours. That's a whole working week in places like France.

0730-1800 is a 10.5hr day.
6 days a week, that's 63hr week. That's two French people.

Logically, on the same hourly rate.... (2000dhs/30hrs)*63hrs=4,199.

Old Jan 29th 2019, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
It's not quite 5 afternoons, it's 30hours. That's a whole working week in places like France.

well ... chatting to a maid the other day revealed this about live ins:

they get 1800 from an agency. The agency charges you 4000.

2300-2500 is fair for direct for a live in.

Bedspace outside is about 600.

3000 seems about right then.

Old Jan 29th 2019, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

do you accept such calculations when placing people? 😀😀
Old Jan 29th 2019, 5:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse

well ... chatting to a maid the other day revealed this about live ins:

they get 1800 from an agency. The agency charges you 4000.

2300-2500 is fair for direct for a live in.

Bedspace outside is about 600.

3000 seems about right then.
I haven't got a clue mate, was just throwing some bare logic in the mix for another dimension.

do you accept such calculations when placing people? 😀😀
Yup.

You're on a six day week and want more money to do a five day week? LOLZ.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 6:06 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pongo
I’ll never understand why you would leave the most precious thing in your life in the sole charge of a random stranger.
I like this angle of attack ..
Old Jan 29th 2019, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I haven't got a clue mate, was just throwing some bare logic in the mix for another dimension.

Yup.

You're on a six day week and want more money to do a five day week? LOLZ.

I only know this as I’m looking for a housemaid right now. I thought it would be easy... it’s not.

Going to do walk in interviews this Friday in a coffee shop.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 6:49 am
Account Closed

I only know this as I’m looking for a housemaid right now. I thought it would be easy... it’s not.

Walk in interviews. Holy ****ing cow you're brave.

Surely the best way is to ask for referrals - statistically, referred candidates stay longer, score higher in appraisals and achieve promotions quicker. So a maid must follow some of the same logic, just ask someone who you like to ask their maid and hey presto!
Old Jan 29th 2019, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Walk in interviews. Holy ****ing cow you're brave.

Surely the best way is to ask for referrals - statistically, referred candidates stay longer, score higher in appraisals and achieve promotions quicker. So a maid must follow some of the same logic, just ask someone who you like to ask their maid and hey presto!
we are doing that as well. The walk in idea is mine - it filters a basic test of can they use any initiative to get to a specific location at given point in time. You’d be amazed at how many fail that test.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Probably got a better chance taking one off the classified board in Carrefour !

Last edited by co durham boy; Jan 29th 2019 at 7:29 am.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 7:01 am
Account Closed

we are doing that as well. The walk in idea is mine - it filters a basic test of can they use any initiative to get to a specific location at given point in time. You’d be amazed at how many fail that test.
True. A very good way of meeting lots quickly. You must, must, must, must remember to trust your gut. It's right more than dettol can kill bacteria.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

- 3000 Dhs a month

When you say own visa. Do you mean via an agency? I only ask because if she isnt sponsored by you or an agency and is sponsored by Husband or another person ( The latter meaning she is moonlighting part time) then she could get into serious bother and her sponsor would get a massive fine
Old Jan 29th 2019, 10:18 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

can they use any initiative to get to a specific location at given point in time. You’d be amazed at how many fail that test.
Mostly taxi drivers in my experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.