Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

how much can we earn?

how much can we earn?

Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:53 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much can we earn?

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
Whens he due back?
no idea and I can't contact him either he said he would be gone for about 10 days I'll get in touch when he gets back, we can meet up for a drink and something to eat. Arbroath Abroad might be around too
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:53 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
no idea and I can't contact him either he said he would be gone for about 10 days I'll get in touch when he gets back, we can meet up for a drink and something to eat. Arbroath Abroad might be around too
Okily dokily..... Ill wait to hear from you....
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Okily dokily..... Ill wait to hear from you....
no problem
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

blokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by KJDub
We are considering moving to dubhai. My husband is an offset printer, has been for 15 years. has worked with Heidelberg and is now managing production for an offset printing business. I am assuming that he stands to make some decent $'s given his experiennce. but I have no idea where to start looking to find out what sort of package we can get. can anyone help?
Thanks
As mentioned previously, I'm afraid it's bad news. You'll struggle to earn the big bucks here as the printing game is sewn up by the Indians and there's a queue of them who are as skilled and will take 1/4 of what your husband is on now..

The average package for printer here with that experience is 4000dhs per month (540 pounds). The working week is 45 hours and there's 30 days holiday per annum.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blokeindubai
As mentioned previously, I'm afraid it's bad news. You'll struggle to earn the big bucks here as the printing game is sewn up by the Indians and there's a queue of them who are as skilled and will take 1/4 of what your husband is on now..

The average package for printer here with that experience is 4000dhs per month (540 pounds). The working week is 45 hours and there's 30 days holiday per annum.
but is that 30 calendar or working days. big difference.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Inse, I do believe my first concern would be £540 pm, as opposed to whether the 30 days includes weekends...................
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
... So what is so special about Dubai that made you choose here as opposed to the USA or Canada for example?
Don't know about Canada, but it wouldn't qualify for a visa in the US, unless it was a company transfer...
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

KJDub is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately so..... You tend to find that there are fewer Western expat employees here than you first imagine. Employers here will only look at Western expats if they are 110% sure that they cant train, pay less and work harder someone from the sub-continent...

I know, I hire for a oil service company here and, more and more, we are hiring less and less Westerners....
hmm ok. He is highly qualified. Proabably wouldnt be working on a press, butmore so running the operation. Do they still tend to high locals for this level of work?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by KJDub
hmm ok. He is highly qualified. Proabably wouldnt be working on a press, butmore so running the operation. Do they still tend to high locals for this level of work?
If they feel they can get away with it....

I have a number of expats working for the company but only because the customer would prefer to have a westerner, who he feels he can trust, with a non-westerner, who he feels is training and can always fall back on a westerner...

It is very rare for us to send out 2 non-westerners, unless one of the guys has been around the particular customer for a long time and is well known.....

Just the way life is in my particular field.............. and these are quite senior positions in the oilfield... Put it this way, one f**k up could cost millions.....
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:05 am
Just Joined

KJDub is an unknown quantity at this point

If they feel they can get away with it....

I have a number of expats working for the company but only because the customer would prefer to have a westerner, who he feels he can trust, with a non-westerner, who he feels is training and can always fall back on a westerner...

It is very rare for us to send out 2 non-westerners, unless one of the guys has been around the particular customer for a long time and is well known.....

Just the way life is in my particular field.............. and these are quite senior positions in the oilfield... Put it this way, one f**k up could cost millions.....
great, thanks for your help. Can you reccomend any good recuritment agencies for the manufacturing industry?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

blokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I was actually being sarcastic...

Surely no-one would move here for that wage anyway...
Print game, there's barely a white face in the entire industry here..
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you called??

Greetings from sunny Arbroath.

Travelling every day up to Altens in Aberdeen

Sorry Scotsexpat but Aberdeen is a hole....

Am out on the sauce tomorrow night...

Maybe go to peep peeps

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v_guDN7IZ...related&search
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
you called??

Greetings from sunny Arbroath.

Travelling every day up to Altens in Aberdeen

Sorry Scotsexpat but Aberdeen is a hole....

Am out on the sauce tomorrow night...

Maybe go to peep peeps

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v_guDN7IZ...related&search
Peep Peeps.....lol

According to Sky, one of the hardest pubs in the UK!!!!!