British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   how much can we earn? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-much-can-we-earn-525611/)

KJDub Mar 30th 2008 9:37 pm

how much can we earn?

We are considering moving to dubhai. My husband is an offset printer, has been for 15 years. has worked with Heidelberg and is now managing production for an offset printing business. I am assuming that he stands to make some decent $'s given his experiennce. but I have no idea where to start looking to find out what sort of package we can get. can anyone help?
Thanks

Bob Mar 31st 2008 12:34 am

Re: how much can we earn?

Welcome to BE :)

Have a search on the forums...plenty of threads on packages people have gotten...also plenty of info in the wiki about recruitment agencies and various lifestyle stuff.

Blue Cat Mar 31st 2008 5:03 am

I had a friend who had a similar background and was unable to find any work here as that sort of stuff is mainly done by the Asian workforce.

lionheart Mar 31st 2008 5:06 am

[QUOTE=KJDub;6134013]We are considering moving to dubhai. /QUOTE]It might help to impress potential recruiters if you knew how to spell the name of your chosen destination.:D So what is so special about Dubai that made you choose here as opposed to the USA or Canada for example?

Chris79 Mar 31st 2008 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6135149)
I had a friend who had a similar background and was unable to find any work here as that sort of stuff is mainly done by the Asian workforce.

For a lot less money than we would work for and a lot longer hours

ScotsExpat Mar 31st 2008 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6135157)
For a lot less money than we would work for and a lot longer hours

Unfortunately so..... You tend to find that there are fewer Western expat employees here than you first imagine. Employers here will only look at Western expats if they are 110% sure that they cant train, pay less and work harder someone from the sub-continent...

I know, I hire for a oil service company here and, more and more, we are hiring less and less Westerners....

Chris79 Mar 31st 2008 5:21 am

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6135163)
Unfortunately so..... You tend to find that there are fewer Western expat employees here than you first imagine. Employers here will only look at Western expats if they are 110% sure that they cant train, pay less and work harder someone from the sub-continent...

I know, I hire for a oil service company here and, more and more, we are hiring less and less Westerners....

I guess we are the lucky ones then! :thumbup:

ScotsExpat Mar 31st 2008 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6135177)
I guess we are the lucky ones then! :thumbup:

The creme-de-la-creme, Chris old boy............ Either that or the only suckers your boss could find....

It could be that every sub-continent applicant told our bosses where to go and we were the only mugs willing to say 'OK'!!!

Chris79 Mar 31st 2008 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6135195)
The creme-de-la-creme, Chris old boy............ Either that or the only suckers your boss could find....

It could be that every sub-continent applicant told our bosses where to go and we were the only mugs willing to say 'OK'!!!

Hmmmmm :unsure: Not sure which category I fall into there!
I must admit the painting the boss painted before I came over was one that was better than the real life, but saying all this. I know where I want to be/prefer to be (HERE) :thumbup:

Spugsy Mar 31st 2008 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6135149)

yeah I can imagine in the printing industry, I hear that as well.

Blue Cat Mar 31st 2008 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6135263)
yeah I can imagine in the printing industry, I hear that as well.

he got a great job in New Zealand though! :thumbsup:

Spugsy Mar 31st 2008 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6135317)
he got a great job in New Zealand though! :thumbsup:

sounds nice, you can buy amazing houses over there for not much cash at all.

Saying that my villa I've just moved into is literally twice the size of my £150k flat back home.

Blue Cat Mar 31st 2008 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6135329)
sounds nice, you can buy amazing houses over there for not much cash at all.

Saying that my villa I've just moved into is literally twice the size of my £150k flat back home.

lucky git, would love a villa, got bored with this apartment living now :blink:

Spugsy Mar 31st 2008 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6135485)
lucky git, would love a villa, got bored with this apartment living now :blink:

you might not be so bored woken up 10 times by aeroplanes....

ScotsExpat Mar 31st 2008 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6135497)
you might not be so bored woken up 10 times by aeroplanes....

Im still waiting to hear what my housing allowance is... Coz I work in JA, I have been looking at Springs, Meadows etc but the rental prices seem to jump exponentially every time I look aup Dubizzle.......

Anyone on here working in JA? If you are staying further away than Marina / Emirates Hills interchange, how long does it take to get to and from JA??