Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How much can it cost to relocate someone form DOH TO UAE?

How much can it cost to relocate someone form DOH TO UAE?

Old May 30th 2018, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Jammydodger2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much can it cost to relocate someone form DOH TO UAE?

I have applied for a few roles in the UAE, the good thing is im getting alot of interest in my CV however I find the same excuse over and over ' You are based in Qatar and we are not looking to relocate someone for this position'. How much can it cost to relocate someone from another GCC country I am just interested to know is it a huge amount? I cant be stuck here forever...... can I ?
Old May 30th 2018, 9:12 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much can it cost to relocate someone form DOH TO UAE?

Bearing in mind the diplomatic ‘froideur’ at the moment, might it have something to do with the fact you’re “based in Qatar”?
Old May 30th 2018, 9:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

More hassle than it's worth.

We're hiring a guy from Qatar at the moment but that's because he'd quit already and was moving here regardless. Otherwise it's easier just to find someone here.

Sorry, but that's my tuppence
Old May 30th 2018, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammydodger2016
I have applied for a few roles in the UAE, the good thing is im getting alot of interest in my CV however I find the same excuse over and over ' You are based in Qatar and we are not looking to relocate someone for this position'. How much can it cost to relocate someone from another GCC country I am just interested to know is it a huge amount? I cant be stuck here forever...... can I ?
I have recruited guys out of Qatar to Dubai for gov based companies here. Some pay relocation others just the plane fare. Is the interest via recruitment agencies or companies directly?
Companies will only pay costs if they cannot find a locally based candidate or are in desperate need for someone with your skills
Relocation is an added cost and they obviously aren't that interested if they keep coming up with that reasonI can only say if you are desperate to leave Qatar then you may have to fund the costs yourself
Old May 31st 2018, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
More hassle than it's worth.

We're hiring a guy from Qatar at the moment but that's because he'd quit already and was moving here regardless. Otherwise it's easier just to find someone here.

Sorry, but that's my tuppence
Thanks Scamp maybe I should just resign and try my luck but I am a wimp
Old May 31st 2018, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

What line of work are you in?
Old May 31st 2018, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by reddiva
I have recruited guys out of Qatar to Dubai for gov based companies here. Some pay relocation others just the plane fare. Is the interest via recruitment agencies or companies directly?
Companies will only pay costs if they cannot find a locally based candidate or are in desperate need for someone with your skills
Relocation is an added cost and they obviously aren't that interested if they keep coming up with that reasonI can only say if you are desperate to leave Qatar then you may have to fund the costs yourself
I'm in talks with a few recruitment agencies who put me forward for the positions. I wouldnt mind funding the travel costs myself either but I have heard that legally the company that hires you should pay for your medical etc for you to get your resident ID - is this correct? I would check myself but I can't access any UAE ministry website. 😐
Old May 31st 2018, 7:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yes and no.
Some people have a safety blanket of a partner in Dubai or somewhere to stay whilst job hunting etc.
It's not so much not hiring from Qatar, it's just taking the path of least resistance and that means probably finding someone in Dubai or AD instead. Not always but it's logical eh.

What do you do?
Old May 31st 2018, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hnd
Bearing in mind the diplomatic ‘froideur’ at the moment, might it have something to do with the fact you’re “based in Qatar”?
Thank you but your comment adds no value I am vey much aware of the diplomatic situation. I am a UK citizen who just happens to be working in Qatar.
Old May 31st 2018, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
Yes and no.
Some people have a safety blanket of a partner in Dubai or somewhere to stay whilst job hunting etc.
It's not so much not hiring from Qatar, it's just taking the path of least resistance and that means probably finding someone in Dubai or AD instead. Not always but it's logical eh.

What do you do?
I am in the exciting world of in house legal. No safety net in UAE most of my friends are here in Qatar with their families. I came out on my own which is why I am happy to fund the travel as its just me and my suitcase in Doha. Just need to keep trying I guess.
Old May 31st 2018, 8:27 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you but your comment adds no value I am vey much aware of the diplomatic situation. I am a UK citizen who just happens to be working in Qatar.
Wasn’t trying to be snippy and wasn’t aware that it was just you and a suitcase. Just thought that perhaps potential employers didn’t want the hassle of relocating someone who, perhaps, has ? number of cubic feet of personal goods which possibly couldn’t be directly shipped to Dubai and which would, therefore, involve further expense.
Old May 31st 2018, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm in talks with a few recruitment agencies who put me forward for the positions. I wouldnt mind funding the travel costs myself either but I have heard that legally the company that hires you should pay for your medical etc for you to get your resident ID - is this correct? I would check myself but I can't access any UAE ministry website. 😐
The medical for visa is always paid for and conducted by your company
Old May 31st 2018, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: How much can it cost to relocate someone form DOH TO UAE?

Originally Posted by hnd

Wasn’t trying to be snippy and wasn’t aware that it was just you and a suitcase. Just thought that perhaps potential employers didn’t want the hassle of relocating someone who, perhaps, has ? number of cubic feet of personal goods which possibly couldn’t be directly shipped to Dubai and which would, therefore, involve further expense.
I think the poster was referring to them working in Qatar and your comment about the current blockade perhaps being why they are not getting a role here
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Cost me 12K QAR to ship the full contents of a villa to Dubai from Qatar . Cost me 7K to bring the cat , saying that i would have payed treble to exit that shithole