Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How many expats live in Abu Dhabi approx?

How many expats live in Abu Dhabi approx?

Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Tommy Davison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How many expats live in Abu Dhabi approx?

Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many expats live in Abu Dhabi approx?

No idea.

You're welcome.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Dry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Tommy Davison
Thanks
See link below.

http://www.scad.ae/en/Statistics/Pag...SubTopicID=133

Approx 1.1m non nationals in a total population of 1.5m
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dry as Dust
See link below.

http://www.scad.ae/en/Statistics/Pag...SubTopicID=133

Approx 1.1m non nationals in a total population of 1.5m
very interesting website.

However, while you have given the correct answer, old Tommy asked the wrong question. What he wanted to know was... how many rich, gullible, long term savings plan buying, western expats there are - or as PIC refer to them: customers.

Sadly, of the 1.1m non nationals that is probably only a few thousand - 90% of expats in Abu Dhabi can just about afford to eat twice a day.

don't do it Tommy! I'm not sure this going to be a great move for you and the chances of you seeing that 6 figure tax free salary that you have been promised is minimal! (Although fair play for doing some research).
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:14 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I am with EM on this, don't bother.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:18 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the six figures promised was in dirhams...

More realistic.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed - a lot of new expats have been lured to Abu Dhabi by what they see as large tax free salaries and some just come to save paying tax (many recruitment consultants try and get people out on that alone). Unfortunately their salaries are soon eaten up with the high prices in the Emirate. The only thing that is cheaper is petrol but the "essential" bigger car soon drinks that up. Not much left to invest for the majority.... the expats who have been living here for a few years have a bit more money as the wages were slightly higher then and accomodation costs lower but they will not be rich pickings for new investments with the Company discussed; they will already have had the cold calls numerous times a month.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
The only thing that is cheaper is petrol but the "essential" bigger car soon drinks that up.
I agree with that. I spend way more on petrol here each month than I ever did in the UK - even more so in Dubai where the whole city is set up for not walking and the distances are further.

We fill our 2 cars every 4 days here (excluding weekend trips out). In the UK it would have been 1 car once a month max.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:49 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I agree with that. I spend way more on petrol here each month than I ever did in the UK - even more so in Dubai where the whole city is set up for not walking and the distances are further.

We fill our 2 cars every 4 days here (excluding weekend trips out). In the UK it would have been 1 car once a month max.
Don't understand this. To refill both tanks in the landcruiser (close to 30 gallons) is around GBP35. At a conservative cost of GBP1.20/litre this would cost something like GBP136 in the UK. To refill our Pajero in the UK (back in 2005 before we moved here) even with around 1/4 of a tank left, it cost us something close to GBP80.

Granted, distances can be greater but that depends on where you choose to live, where you school your children, where you work. For some of our friends it works out cheaper to get taxis to and from work rather than own a car. No depreciation, no insurance, no annual registration etc.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hnd
Don't understand this. To refill both tanks in the landcruiser (close to 30 gallons) is around GBP35. At a conservative cost of GBP1.20/litre this would cost something like GBP136 in the UK. To refill our Pajero in the UK (back in 2005 before we moved here) even with around 1/4 of a tank left, it cost us something close to GBP80.

Granted, distances can be greater but that depends on where you choose to live, where you school your children, where you work. For some of our friends it works out cheaper to get taxis to and from work rather than own a car. No depreciation, no insurance, no annual registration etc.
Well the point is that fuel here is roughly 28p / litre vs 125p / litre in the UK. i.e. it is around 4.6x less expensive. However, due to a city that doesn't really lend itself to walking we consume about 8x more fuel. I admit that some of this is my doing - in the UK I had a hot hatch, here we run 4x4s so cost / trip is higher. However, there is no way I would drive a lowered type R yaris with mini in the back on the Kahill, SZR or Emirates roads. Whereas, I would have done that in the leafy suburbs of London.

I also agree it's a function of where you live - but for me it is still vastly cheaper to run the cars than it would be to take taxis. For a while I did use taxis but one day in AD they all disappeared and so I was forced into a car - in the UK I had the option of a bus, train and tube network. These options just simply do not exist in practical form here.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:39 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I spend 50 dhs a week, if that!
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I spend 50 dhs a week, if that!
you obviously drive that Pajero like a nun. I'm the bloke tailgating and flashing you.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:47 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
you obviously drive that Pajero like a nun. I'm the bloke tailgating and flashing you.
nah I just don't get out much
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I spend 120 AED a week for a full tank and it lasts me exactly a week. Always fill up on Saturday evenings.

Since I'll be selling the car in a few months I did a quick calculation:

Purchase cost: 95,000 AED (in cash, no loans).
Insurance x 3 years: 10,500 AED.
Petrol x 3 years: (cost has gone up so average of 110 AED/week x 52 x 3) 17000 AED.

Total car cost: 122,500

Sale cost: 70,000 (projected)

Total depreciation: 52,500 AED.

Cost on a monthly basis (36 months): 1450 AED.

Cost of a cheap Lancer hire: 1750 AED monthly including basic insurance but not including petrol.

So, not bad.

As for taking taxis in lieu of cars, it does depend on where you live and work. Assume you spend 50 AED/day x 7 days x 4 weeks = 1400 AED a month.

Last edited by Ethos83; Feb 8th 2011 at 3:56 am.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

you'll not get 70k for it...just a hunch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.