Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How long have you been in the Gulf?

How long have you been in the Gulf?

Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How long have you been in the Gulf?

Originally Posted by bahrain saudi
Fully human? Yes, Fully educated? I think not.

All of the educated (and I only deal with educated people at work) speak great English. Its uni taught or by their maids but, all the same, they speak English.

I always thought the best language teachers would be ones who have learnt a foreign language OR, perhaps, who know the language of the students they are teaching. I seem to remember all my language teachers at school speaking great English but I guess they were all BEd and PGCE. No disrespect but a lot of TEFL teahersI have met have one of those Diploma things which only takes a few months to pass rather than 3+1 years teahers.
Hmm I disagree. My best Arabic language teachers were the ones who didn't speak a word of English. Way better learning.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:54 pm
Banned

bahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nice

"O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors; they are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust. (The Noble Quran, 5:51)"

Now this is a good reason few learn Arabic
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:54 pm
Banned

bahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nice

Originally Posted by commander
Indeed same same..

For sanctimonious pissed teachers..as they say;

Those who can...do
Those who can't ..teach.

Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Hmm I disagree. My best Arabic language teachers were the ones who didn't speak a word of English. Way better learning.
With a teacher who doesn't know, first hand, what its like to study a second language?

Isn't that a bit like learning to cook a pizza with an Italian that's never, actually, cooked one?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

With a teacher who doesn't know, first hand, what its like to study a second language?

Isn't that a bit like learning to cook a pizza with an Italian that's never, actually, cooked one?
Lol @ the pizza thing. No... just... no

I guess your experience of becoming fluent in Thai from a wife who speaks English & Thai has shaped your opinion, and my experience of becoming fluent in Arabic by being forced into Arabic-speaking only environments has shaped my own!

Perhaps we're both right............................................. .............

PS who were you asking about being white

Saff
Old Dec 17th 2012, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Those "teachers" with a 4-week TEFL Cert are not teachers. Many of us have taught English after years of study on English and other languages !!

And I would argue that to understand the problems of foreign language teaching and learning the teacher must have experienced foreign language acquisition. Not necessarliy the languge spoken by his students, but that would give an insight that your average monoglot does not have ("Wacha mean its a verb ?" as one of my feebler Englsih students said when I was attempting to teach him some German !)

Last edited by scot47; Dec 17th 2012 at 11:11 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 3:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by commander
Indeed same same..

For sanctimonious pissed teachers..as they say;

Those who can...do
Those who can't ..teach.

Those who can't teach....teach PE

(Like my mrs...)
Old Dec 18th 2012, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Those who can't teach....teach PE

(Like my mrs...)
How very dare you!!! Does that count for personal trainers??
Old Dec 18th 2012, 5:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
How very dare you!!! Does that count for personal trainers??
Nah, not for good ones anyway.

Plus, good PTs earn more than teachers...
Old Dec 18th 2012, 5:20 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here 8 years, and so this is my home. This is where I live, work, have my social life, it's where my kids are etc.
I am Dutch and I am going to Holland for Christmas. And that's what I say, going to Holland, I don't say I am going home for Christmas, cause I don't have a home there, or a job etc.
I don't understand how people can live their lives here for years and years, and still be adement it's not their home. It makes it sound as if their lives are on hold, and that it's all just a temporary thing and the real thing will happen once they are back in the UK or where ever they are from...
Home for me is where I live my life.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 5:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I have been here 8 years, and so this is my home. This is where I live, work, have my social life, it's where my kids are etc.
I am Dutch and I am going to Holland for Christmas. And that's what I say, going to Holland, I don't say I am going home for Christmas, cause I don't have a home there, or a job etc.
I don't understand how people can live their lives here for years and years, and still be adement it's not their home. It makes it sound as if their lives are on hold, and that it's all just a temporary thing and the real thing will happen once they are back in the UK or where ever they are from...
Home for me is where I live my life.
I'm with you on this MH. It's no wonder so many people are unhappy here if they don't consider it a home, for however long they're here.

No doubt we'll next get the usual nonsense about our fake and plastic lives...
Old Dec 18th 2012, 5:25 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I'm with you on this MH. It's no wonder so many people are unhappy here if they don't consider it a home, for however long they're here.

yeah, bring it on...
Old Dec 18th 2012, 5:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MataHari
yeah, bring it on...
Old Dec 18th 2012, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

BritGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been here 6 years and regard it as my home (for now). We have kids and parents here until recently left for uni. We still own a property in the UK but I do not regard the UK as my home anymore. We plan to stay here until we retire probably, unless another offer somewhere intereasting comes up, and then who knows? Certainly don't want to retire in England, thinking of somewhere European which is warmer than the UK but cooler than the Middle East or somewhere your money will go a long way like Sri Lanka.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 6:33 am
Banned

No, not bitter Patsy. Just in touch with what I like and dislike - I have nothing to be bitter about. The Gulf has been good for me, financially. And there is a vast spectrum between disliking a place and feeling somehow 'bitter'. Of course what you say is indeed true, alothough I dont think I suggested otherwise. Clearly, because I do not like the Gulf, quite obviously, does not mean that others are not enjoying it. Indeed, some people postivey love the 'lifestyle'. I am not one of them.

I accepted another job, as I said, because I am here purely for financial reasons - a means to an end, if you will. For me, it is barable because of the people I know here and because of the money I bag. You asked me:

if you hate it so much why on earth did you accept another job here? I know that if I disliked a place as much as you say you do then I wouldn't go there, regardless of what was offered

The best I can probably do here is paraphrase you, in sorts:

Just because, if you disliked a place so much that you wouldnt go there, regardless of what is offered - it doesn't mean that other people are not focused on what's on offer!

My way of dealing with what I perceive as a dull, lifeless, indulgent and unjust part of the world is to make it work, for my personal financial planning, improve the lives of the so called 'TCNs' along the way (who are treated like animals if you just take the time to look) and then leave this dusty toilet to the locals and expat Gulfies to enjoy. And I will leave for a more humble country, one which doesnt see people ranked by nationality, rather than skill / spirit / potential / the list could go on and on.

I must admit, I am always keen to understand just what the attraction is, over and above building wealth, that keeps people here for 32 years or, in your case, sees you defending your host country with such aplomb.

How's that?
Originally Posted by Meow

I suppose we'll next get the usual nonsense from the Gulfies about being here for the 'lifestyle'.

The thing is, the Gulfies I tend to hear saying that are not the pick of the bunch and have caught that expat bug. You know, the bug whereby they didnt have great job / salaries in the UK, came to the Gulf and suddenly became first rate white folk with maids to clean up their mess and a few bob for a winter holiday.

Last edited by bahrain saudi; Dec 18th 2012 at 6:48 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.