Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How long do you need to be out of uk for tax?

How long do you need to be out of uk for tax?

Old May 23rd 2012, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Bigfrank28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long do you need to be out of uk for tax?

Any Brits, Scots in particular, know how long you need to be out of the uk to be exempt from paying tax or national insurance?
Old May 24th 2012, 5:59 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long do you need to be out of uk for tax?

Originally Posted by Bigfrank28
Any Brits, Scots in particular, know how long you need to be out of the uk to be exempt from paying tax or national insurance?
Assuming you mean income tax you'll need to complete a full tax year to be considered exempt...and you'll need to let the taxman know you're leaving by sending the correct forms. It's not difficult and potentially saves headaches later on, depending on your situation.

HMRC's website has lots of info on this. If you have any specifics feel free to PM me - I am an IFA for my sins

N.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:04 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

There is no different law for Scots, it's all British income tax etc. I filled in my IR85 and almost instantly had a change to my tax coding from HMRC. NICS is a whole different ball of wax! If your company is UK based you pay NICS for 52 weeks, if it's overseas based you don't pay. Your company will comply with the UK laws if UK based.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:08 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You must spend no more than 90 days in the UK in the current tax year to be exempt from UK income tax on overseas earnings. You do not have to be out for the full year. Partial years also become exempt if you remain out long enough, usually five years. There is also an averaging rule that comes into pay over four years. (The rules are the same across the UK!)

If you do not have UK earnings you do not need to pay National Insurance unless you are send overseas by the same company and remain on a UK contract, in which case you have to pay 52 weeks.

Useful information for all Brits moving to the GCC here: http://financialuae.me/2012/05/03/gu...ated-may-2012/
Old May 24th 2012, 6:12 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
If you do not have UK earnings you do not need to pay National Insurance unless you are send overseas by the same company and remain on a UK contract, in which case you have to pay 52 weeks.
I'm not on a UK contract but my firms HQ is UK based and I have to pay 52 weeks NICS, irrespective that I've already paid 35 years and the maximum number required for a full pension is 30 (mutter mutter mutter).
Old May 24th 2012, 6:17 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
I'm not on a UK contract but my firms HQ is UK based and I have to pay 52 weeks NICS, irrespective that I've already paid 35 years and the maximum number required for a full pension is 30 (mutter mutter mutter).
It's an odd rule, but you can't get out of paying. As far as HMRC is concerned you have simple relocated, not started a new job, hence you have to pay. Admittedly annoying in your case.
Old May 24th 2012, 7:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
It's an odd rule, but you can't get out of paying. As far as HMRC is concerned you have simple relocated, not started a new job, hence you have to pay. Admittedly annoying in your case.
More than a little annoying but that's life. At least the tax on my UK MOD pension has reduced from the 40% to 20ish% of whats left after my personal allowance so the two almost balance out :-)
There was quite a protacted email and letters (because HMRC don't really do emails) exchange between me, HMRC and my company with HMRC being content that I not pay NICS but my company paranoid about not paying and being hit in court for 'allowing' no payment. The final upshot being that my company persuaded HMRC that I had to pay! Gggrrr!
Old May 24th 2012, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Bigfrank28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for that guys
Old May 24th 2012, 9:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

20 minutes.

Unless it starts at a weekend, then 28 minutes.