Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How long between interview and start?

How long between interview and start?

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

brodtron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long between interview and start?

So now that things have really hit the wall over here, I'm still not going to be able to get over to Dubai, where they say the streets are paved with gold, until May. I was wondering how soon should I start getting the c.v. out there, start contacting recruitment agents etc? Also am I correct in thinking that alot of companys have recruitment drives around Decemeber/January to start....when?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How long between interview and start?

In my case... interview in May, got offer in August to start in October. After I delayed it for next year. Things take some time in the ME.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

with us draft offer made in Feburary, came over in April for a look about, Contract signed at the end of April started here in June... that was our choice they wanted us on the next flight out after contract was signed.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

brodtron is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
with us draft offer made in Feburary, came over in April for a look about, Contract signed at the end of April started here in June... that was our choice they wanted us on the next flight out after contract was signed.
Hmm. So really no major problem in sending the c.v. out straight away? And from the looks of things on this forum, getting your employer to sort out your accom. is an absolute must?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

depends on the industry.

if you are in construction (buildings, rigs) they are usually project timescaled so the company wants you yesterday..
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
depends on the industry.

if you are in construction (buildings, rigs) they are usually project timescaled so the company wants you yesterday..
That's right. I arrived 2 weeks after my interview. Got into Dubai at 1am and was at work by 7am. Never looked back. Sort of......

Still looking for the gold pavements. Think that you'll find any gold will end up in your landlord's pocket.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Jaybo is an unknown quantity at this point

Applied for Job in March 08
First interview June 08 (London)
Second interview July 08 (Abu Dhabi)
Job Offer September 08
Possible Start………. January 09.
I thought that UK Civil Servants were slow :curse:
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I guess i am slow at these things

First interview Oct 07 in London, Nov 07 interview in Saudi, Nov 07 got offer, Nov 07 told them to sod orf !

Nothing until June 08, July 08 interview in London, 2nd interview via phone in Aug, Sept interview with their external auditor in Dubai, Sept interview with their external auditor in London, Sept met them in their company in KW (when I was supposed to be in Dubai working with my current company!), currently trying to get paperwork sort to start in Nov !
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:36 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Wow I guess i am slow at these things

First interview Oct 07 in London, Nov 07 interview in Saudi, Nov 07 got offer, Nov 07 told them to sod orf !

Nothing until June 08, July 08 interview in London, 2nd interview via phone in Aug, Sept interview with their external auditor in Dubai, Sept interview with their external auditor in London, Sept met them in their company in KW (when I was supposed to be in Dubai working with my current company!), currently trying to get paperwork sort to start in Nov !
See - much more efficient in Saudi / Kuwait!!

Heros all round...
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brodtron
Hmm. So really no major problem in sending the c.v. out straight away? And from the looks of things on this forum, getting your employer to sort out your accom. is an absolute must?
yeah, or factor in a rent increase of 10-20k AED per month into your salary/package request!

My hubby went out in April, then May, got offer in June, was due out in August, but they messed up his visa, so we're out here now at the end of Sept. He had to ask for his salary package to be reviewed to cover the 60k AED rental increase over that period.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I was interviewed on 14th Dec 07, got the formal job offer on 26th Dec. Went for medical and induction in UK on 6th Feb, at which I was given the contract and T&C's so I formally handed in my notice. Arrived in KSA in early April. Could have gone out the week before.

All in all, from job offer to arriving in Saudi, was just a tad over three months.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Sent CV out but didnt get any biters, it was actually someone we knew that worked for the company and that is why things moved faster.

If you can get accommodation out of your company then def yes, it has save us time and money having the company do everything!!
Old Sep 28th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

So now that things have really hit the wall over here, I'm still not going to be able to get over to Dubai, where they say the streets are paved with gold, until May. I was wondering how soon should I start getting the c.v. out there, start contacting recruitment agents etc? Also am I correct in thinking that alot of companys have recruitment drives around Decemeber/January to start....when?
Had my interview just before i went on holiday, landed in Dubai 4 weeks later, started the day after I landed. Job done.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Cabbage is an unknown quantity at this point

Send CV off beginning of May 08
Interview mid-May 08, offer there and then
Wanted me to start asap, but had 2 months notice
On a flight out to AD on 27/7, landed 9pm, at work 8am following day
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:50 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

No disrespect to the poster, but is there anyone else here getting thoroughly pissed off at the whole idea that the streets are paved with gold????

It doesnt take most people too long to realise that gold pavements are actually simply gold leaf spread as thinly as possible over dirt and sand.

Can I ask, brodtron, how long you have spent in Dubai, or whether you are simply swallowing hook, line and sinker the PR spin coming from Dubai Inc....

PS... And, NO, I am not AA in disguise....!!!

Last edited by TGFKASE; Sep 29th 2008 at 5:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.