Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How is live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia?

How is live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia?

Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all
Default Re: How is live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia?

Originally Posted by lionheart
Nobody has mentioned that old chestnut...booze. Once again, if you live on a western compound, its normally available. If you live outside, God help you. Another thing that angers me is their complete intolerance of other religions.
On the religion it is not ideal but times look like they are changing. It just takes a while for things to change there. Some of my friends were active christians in compound etc. I hope the law changes to make it more fair for non muslims.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

shel is an unknown quantity at this point

im trying to get to Riyadh to be with my husband whats the best of getting a job out there
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but its only a nice bubble if you live in a western compound... and not everyone these days can afford that luxury.
If you can't afford a Western compound, don't go..that is my opinion.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Shel, as a woman working legally (with a work visa) is restricted to certain occupations - such as doctor, nurse, teacher. I'm sure if you search the web or check with the Saudi embassy the information will be there. However, if you are sponsored by your husband it is possible to work in the Kingdom - but jobs are limited.

If you have a career in your home country or the country you are living in now that is not one of the legal options you could find it hard here.

Good luck
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:20 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shel
im trying to get to Riyadh to be with my husband whats the best of getting a job out there
Why do you need to get a job there? Other than a small number of teachers and nurses, its virtually impossible for a woman to work in Riyadh. For example, if you visit a lingerie shop or a cosmetics counter, expect to be served by a man. Crazy but true.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Why do you need to get a job there? Other than a small number of teachers and nurses, its virtually impossible for a woman to work in Riyadh. For example, if you visit a lingerie shop or a cosmetics counter, expect to be served by a man. Crazy but true.
No unless you go to that shopping mall in Riyadh with the womens only floor. My wife loved the fact that not even I was allowed up!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

surfman is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok folks, thanks all for the responses and comments (even the hard ones..)

I apologize for the obvious question but I promised my wife I would ask it.

I already had been traveling for business purposes visiting more than 14 countries, in 3 continents, but never had been in the Middle East or North Africa so far.

So, your inputs provided me a much clear vision on pros and cons.

For us, the ones that are entering in the decision point (and for me this is my first trully expat experience) that´s priceless.

By the way, I bypass the chop chop square experience, maybe someday just to said I had been there, but I don't think so, we already have enough violence and for free in most tvs channels..

Thanks a lot!!
Surfman
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:12 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Why anyone would choose to live in that hellhole is beyond me. Is money really that important to putting your life on hold?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7106234.stm
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:00 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Why anyone would choose to live in that hellhole is beyond me. Is money really that important to putting your life on hold?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7106234.stm
Why all the fuss? It's always been the law in KSA for unmarried couples not to mingle. If it was a European girl, then maybe some criticism is justified but this was a Saudi girl, who knew what she was doing. The subsequent rape is a separate offence for which the perpetrators have been punished. Why no protest about her boyfriend, who was also raped and yet punished for illicit mingling? Even in Dubai it's technically an offence. Yes, its a medieval system of justice but you cannot expect Saudi Arabia to change overnight.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Why all the fuss? It's always been the law in KSA for unmarried couples not to mingle. If it was a European girl, then maybe some criticism is justified but this was a Saudi girl, who knew what she was doing. The subsequent rape is a separate offence for which the perpetrators have been punished. Why no protest about her boyfriend, who was also raped and yet punished for illicit mingling? Even in Dubai it's technically an offence. Yes, its a medieval system of justice but you cannot expect Saudi Arabia to change overnight.
I couldnt agree more Lionheart. What many people fail to realise is that she was not punished for the rape but for being with a non relative. That in itself is a crime and punishable. From the outside many people do not understand the culture and laws, but having lived in it its not too bad.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

You know, LH, sometimes you manage to surprise me. Nice post.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I live in Riyadh and certainly don't feel like my life is on hold!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic1
Well I live in Riyadh and certainly don't feel like my life is on hold!
Looks like I might be coming over soon
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
Looks like I might be coming over soon
You serious?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

i wanna go too and see what the fuss is about!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.