Reload this Page >

how is life in qatar

how is life in qatar

Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

siraj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how is life in qatar

Originally Posted by novita77
i agree thats totally sucks. And also bear in mind the 2 yrs ban. If you leave the company and they dont give you NOC (Non Objection Certificate) you cant work for any other company in Qatar, you MUST leave the country.

The latest news i hard they reduce the 2 yrs ban to 6 mths.

Thank you all, it seems a visit to appreciate the real thing may be the answer.

would you advise me of any pitfall to avaoid, which you meay be familiar with UK expats?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:37 am
Just Joined

carolyncb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siraj
Thank you all, it seems a visit to appreciate the real thing may be the answer.

would you advise me of any pitfall to avaoid, which you meay be familiar with UK expats?
All sounds rather complicated Siraj..but good luck x
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:40 am
Just Joined

carolyncb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolyncb
Hi all ..Life in Qatar..

Can anyone tell me have the cables that caused so much disruption to contact via the net and email been repaired yet ?

I am trying to send mail to Doha daily but it is not being received at that end.. my friend lives there and we keep in touch via msn / email I have heard dnothing for nearly 4 weeks now !I am in the UK by the way.

Any news would be gratefully received ..thank you

ps. He seems to love the place..Doha and enjoys living and working there...
Still no word Chris ..my Yorkshireman ...miss you lots C xxxx x
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

tubs_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am in a similar position where I am in the process of trying to secure a post in Dohar in IT.
For a large corporation, is it really as bad as it sounds for expats?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 4:25 am
Just Joined

flash_gordon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tubs_1
Hi I am in a similar position where I am in the process of trying to secure a post in Dohar in IT.
For a large corporation, is it really as bad as it sounds for expats?
I've been in the same position and eventually had to decline on the job offer, simply because I got spooked by the cost of living in Qatar.
I think one of the original posters had the right idea - invest in a week to check the place out before committing.
I should've done this ...
Old Sep 28th 2008, 6:43 am
Just Joined

tubs_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for replys.
I have been given a provisional offer that covers medical, education, travel and if I want houseing.

I can either have company supplied home for my family or have the money, thing is the amount works out about 11000 QR a month, any thoughts on this for finding somewhere to live
Old Sep 28th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tubs_1
thanks for replys.
I have been given a provisional offer that covers medical, education, travel and if I want houseing.

I can either have company supplied home for my family or have the money, thing is the amount works out about 11000 QR a month, any thoughts on this for finding somewhere to live
11k is not enough for a decent(by Qatar standards) villa in a compound. For that you will at least need 22k per month. If you come to visit, make sure you can see the exact house/flat the company will provide...so you have no nasty surprises afterwards.
Other than that, school /nursery/kindergarten spaces are VERY hard to come by, make sure you have spaces for your kids before you decide to take the offer.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

canarybird will become famous soon enough

We lived in Doha for 18 months before moving to Saudi and to be perfectly honest we were glad to get out of the place.
My husband worked for a local Qatari company and when the intial job ofer came up they promised us the earth and even flew us out to have a look around. I had asked a few questions on the expatwomen website about the cost of living etc, schools etc and took the answers we were given to my husbands new boss who played everything down and told us that 'life wasn't like that in Doha' - what a load of old rubbish. We were told that QR 10,000 was enough to pay for a decent 3 bed house - total rubbish (and that included the house). Although my husband finally agreed to the offer and we moved it was the biggest mistake of our lives. Our kids started school and then we had to fork out for books and art supplies (not included in the fees) and then it was money for this and money for that. Both girls did very well at school and to be honest that was the only upside we found (and to be honest we would have suffered living in Doha for longer for that reason alone if the job offer for Saudi hadn't turned up). Before we knew where we were we were delving into our savings just to be able to live half decently as the QR 10,000 they gave us for accommodation didn't cover and we had to put our own money towards the rent every month. All this before we even did food shopping and the prices in Doha are extortionate and fruit and veg, poultry and meat are not always good quality.

The 'promises' that my husbands company made before he signed never materialised and in fact as soon as we arrived in Doha it was a case of 'well you are here now just get on with it'.

As previously stated Doha is very much money orientated and I felt totally stressed the whole time we lived there. We have been expats for many years and far from being upset when we left Doha for the last time I (and the rest of my family) were very happy and would have had the flags and streamers out if we could have.

Please think very carefully before accepting any offer and try and speak to as many people as possible before making your final decision. I really hope it is a decision that you will not live to regret.

On the plus side, if we hadn't lived in Doha for that short period then the offer to come to Saudi wouldn't have materialised and we wouldn't have been able to experience such a wonderful country with wonderful people (and all at a fraction of the cost of Doha).

I hope things work out well for you
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

!00% with you on that....will be coming to the Magic Kingdom soon .insha'allh.......can't wait....and I am seriously considering streamers!!!!! Maybe even fireworks!!!!

Originally Posted by canarybird
We lived in Doha for 18 months before moving

to Saudi and to be perfectly honest we were glad to get out of the place.
My husband worked for a local Qatari company and when the intial job ofer came up they promised us the earth and even flew us out to have a look around. I had asked a few questions on the expatwomen website about the cost of living etc, schools etc and took the answers we were given to my husbands new boss who played everything down and told us that 'life wasn't like that in Doha' - what a load of old rubbish. We were told that QR 10,000 was enough to pay for a decent 3 bed house - total rubbish (and that included the house). Although my husband finally agreed to the offer and we moved it was the biggest mistake of our lives. Our kids started school and then we had to fork out for books and art supplies (not included in the fees) and then it was money for this and money for that. Both girls did very well at school and to be honest that was the only upside we found (and to be honest we would have suffered living in Doha for longer for that reason alone if the job offer for Saudi hadn't turned up). Before we knew where we were we were delving into our savings just to be able to live half decently as the QR 10,000 they gave us for accommodation didn't cover and we had to put our own money towards the rent every month. All this before we even did food shopping and the prices in Doha are extortionate and fruit and veg, poultry and meat are not always good quality.

The 'promises' that my husbands company made before he signed never materialised and in fact as soon as we arrived in Doha it was a case of 'well you are here now just get on with it'.

As previously stated Doha is very much money orientated and I felt totally stressed the whole time we lived there. We have been expats for many years and far from being upset when we left Doha for the last time I (and the rest of my family) were very happy and would have had the flags and streamers out if we could have.

Please think very carefully before accepting any offer and try and speak to as many people as possible before making your final decision. I really hope it is a decision that you will not live to regret.

On the plus side, if we hadn't lived in Doha for that short period then the offer to come to Saudi wouldn't have materialised and we wouldn't have been able to experience such a wonderful country with wonderful people (and all at a fraction of the cost of Doha).

I hope things work out well for you
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lady Lou

I am sure you will love it here.

Whereabouts are you going to be living - Jeddah, Riyadh or Al Khobar?

If you need anyhting just drop me a PM.

Good lUck with your move.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Lady Lou

I am sure you will love it here.

Whereabouts are you going to be living - Jeddah, Riyadh or Al Khobar?

If you need anyhting just drop me a PM.

Good lUck with your move.
Hi, and thanks...
if all goes well I will be in Riyadh...old hunting ground for me. Have lived there before...and yes, LOVED it!
XXXXXX
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

LadyLou

That's a pity as it would have been nice to have you here in Khobar.

Isn't amazing though when you tell people that you either live in Saudi or are going to Saudi they recoil in horror!!!!!!

As for wearing the abaya - it hides a multitude of sins.

Well better go as my glass of red apple juice is awaiting !!!!

Enjoy the rest of your Eid break - we are back to work and school here on Saturday.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

LadyLou

That's a pity as it would have been nice to have you here in Khobar.

Isn't amazing though when you tell people that you either live in Saudi or are going to Saudi they recoil in horror!!!!!!

As for wearing the abaya - it hides a multitude of sins.

Well better go as my glass of red apple juice is awaiting !!!!

Enjoy the rest of your Eid break - we are back to work and school here on Saturday.
Lol, yes, it is highly amusing! Once , I was at Arlanda airport in Stockholm, i was chatting with a lady...she asked me where do I live...I said in Saudi Arabia...she actually took 2 steps away from me...asking Really??Omg! Then I said, i am not Saudi though...she was somewhat reassured by that....

Anyway...have you located the resident "tea supplier" yet? Makes a world of a difference to have the "right " kind of juice/tea.

My abaya is already ordered, in the hope of needing it very soon! Lovely black silk and oodles of lace, very pretty!

We'll be back to school on Sunday...THANK GOD!

And you never know...maybe we will meet in Bahrain one day!

XXXXXXX
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Yep, we have found a good supplier of tea, took a few months of tasting to find the one we wanted but it was well worth it !!!!!!

I ordered abayas for myself and the girls in Doha and paid an absolute fortune for them and was shocked at how much cheaper they were here.

Enjoy your peace and quiet on Sunday when the schools go back - don't have that luxury since I started working here although I wouldn't have it any other way. Bahrain certainly sounds like a date to me - possibly in the Chocolate shop on the 2nd floor of Seef Mall???????

Hope all goes well with you and that you are enjoying the Saudi life soon.

Take Care
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, and choccies sound good to me!
Oh, and yes, abaya costs a fortune....but couldn't resist

Yep, we have found a good supplier of tea, took a few months of tasting to find the one we wanted but it was well worth it !!!!!!

I ordered abayas for myself and the girls in Doha and paid an absolute fortune for them and was shocked at how much cheaper they were here.

Enjoy your peace and quiet on Sunday when the schools go back - don't have that luxury since I started working here although I wouldn't have it any other way. Bahrain certainly sounds like a date to me - possibly in the Chocolate shop on the 2nd floor of Seef Mall???????

Hope all goes well with you and that you are enjoying the Saudi life soon.

Take Care

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.