Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

how is life in qatar

how is life in qatar

Old Nov 16th 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Investoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant future
Default Re: how is life in qatar

Hi ladyLou and Canary Bird,

I just want to say somethin regarding your comments above about how people perceive Saudi Arabia.

I am a British Citizen and I want to say, its really good to see that you are sayin the truth about the country you lived in. Alot of people think Saudi Arabia is a country of horror...etc etc all the nasty things they can find in the dictionary..... but you lived there, you experienced it, so it is good that you tell others what a nice country it is and how nice saudis are.

I am not sayin its a perfect country, ...every country has its issues... but I hate my fellow westerners how they spread propaganda about a country they never been to.

My boss few months back went to Tehran (Iran) to do some work there. He said he loved it and loved the iranians... he said its nothin like what we kno from the news. He is an irish guy.... he met very intelligent iranians who spoke good english and they welcomed him. He had fun!!

Anyways, I just want to thank you for sayin the truth. You are now embassadors of that country. So when people face you with misconceptions about Saudi,...dont hesitate to correct them.

Inv.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

canarybird will become famous soon enough

Dear Investoman_uae

Thank you for your reply - just wanted to say that I am still living here happily in Al Khobar and will hopefully be here for a long time yet.

Thanks again for your comments

CB
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Qataruser is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Qatar and I will say this to anyone who is thinking about it.

If you are not offered a VILLA on a compound don't come here simple as that.

Housing is a complete nightmare flats start at 12K and Up, Villas 16K and up, and that's if you can find something decent, standards of finish and what we would call acceptable levels of furnishing etc are way below what you would expect at home.

Qatarliving is a good resource but it is biased towards the Country as if everyone on the site is trying to convince themselves that the place is great. It's not. The ones who "love it" all seem to come from South Africa India or Eastern Europe.

DO NOT even think about taking any job offers with small local companies, they will not keep any promises to you at all. Horror Stories ABOUND

The only companies to work for are QAPCO, RASGAS, QATAR GAS, SHELL (anything multi-national in OIL, GAS or BANKING )

Only work for a big company that has well established HR policies, also note that like me you could be promised one thing then your contract is renewed after two years with half the benefits.

Doha is a dump, there is simply no other way of putting it, there is no town planning to speak of, buildings, villas and compounds are scattered with no thought across the City. There are three shopping malls, good luck getting parking on a Thursday night !. There is no mains water or sewage on most compounds outside of the City Centre, for the supposed richest Country in the World it DOES NOT FEEL LIKE GENEVA or MONACO. The Corniche is nice and there are some really nice compounds. There is simply nothing to do, I asked the question once on Qatar Living

"name one thing to do without the words Mall or Desert"

There were no replies.

Sometimes it feels 30 years out of date, just wait till you see a man type out your Car registration form on a manual type writer !

There are a few bars they are vary from bad to terrible same for the clubs.

Restaurants in hotels are over priced and not that good.

Food drink in general is expensive, I was in mega mart today and they wanted 61 Rials for some pre chopped water melon (that's 11 Pound) I AM NOT MAKING THAT UP. 41 Rials or 7.50 for a box of Special K. I AM NOT JOKING. OK Carrefour is a bit cheaper.

Only come here if you are married with kids of age 1-5 or if you get full schooling for older kids and have a guaranteed place.

My Villa is supplied by the Company and I pay no bills at all. If you can get on that sort of package and the kids are the right age AND the money is bloody good then visit and see this "wondrous place" for yourself.

BUT Think VERY carefully about a move here.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Originally Posted by siraj
I am from the UK

I have been offered a job in Qatar

I am not sure whether my package shall cover my cost and whether its a good location for me and my family.

could anyone help?
All I can say after living in UAE for 12 years and 2 years in Qatar...My honest opinion can be summed up as follows:

'It is not so bad'

But having been in UAE for so many years, Qatar unfortunately, lags behind. But if you haven't seen UAE, then Qatar is really not so bad. It's okay...that's all.

Of course this is my personal opinion, there are advantages and disadvantages in both countries....if this is your first posting to the Gulf, then Qatar is probably going to be a good experience for you. And then one day you can visit Dubai and try to get a job in Dubai and move out of Qatar...

Last edited by Debowing; Nov 19th 2008 at 5:55 am.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Qataruser
I live in Qatar and I will say this to anyone who is thinking about it.

If you are not offered a VILLA on a compound don't come here simple as that.

Housing is a complete nightmare flats start at 12K and Up, Villas 16K and up, and that's if you can find something decent, standards of finish and what we would call acceptable levels of furnishing etc are way below what you would expect at home.

Qatarliving is a good resource but it is biased towards the Country as if everyone on the site is trying to convince themselves that the place is great. It's not. The ones who "love it" all seem to come from South Africa India or Eastern Europe.

DO NOT even think about taking any job offers with small local companies, they will not keep any promises to you at all. Horror Stories ABOUND

The only companies to work for are QAPCO, RASGAS, QATAR GAS, SHELL (anything multi-national in OIL, GAS or BANKING )

Only work for a big company that has well established HR policies, also note that like me you could be promised one thing then your contract is renewed after two years with half the benefits.

Doha is a dump, there is simply no other way of putting it, there is no town planning to speak of, buildings, villas and compounds are scattered with no thought across the City. There are three shopping malls, good luck getting parking on a Thursday night !. There is no mains water or sewage on most compounds outside of the City Centre, for the supposed richest Country in the World it DOES NOT FEEL LIKE GENEVA or MONACO. The Corniche is nice and there are some really nice compounds. There is simply nothing to do, I asked the question once on Qatar Living

"name one thing to do without the words Mall or Desert"

There were no replies.

Sometimes it feels 30 years out of date, just wait till you see a man type out your Car registration form on a manual type writer !

There are a few bars they are vary from bad to terrible same for the clubs.

Restaurants in hotels are over priced and not that good.

Food drink in general is expensive, I was in mega mart today and they wanted 61 Rials for some pre chopped water melon (that's 11 Pound) I AM NOT MAKING THAT UP. 41 Rials or 7.50 for a box of Special K. I AM NOT JOKING. OK Carrefour is a bit cheaper.

Only come here if you are married with kids of age 1-5 or if you get full schooling for older kids and have a guaranteed place.

My Villa is supplied by the Company and I pay no bills at all. If you can get on that sort of package and the kids are the right age AND the money is bloody good then visit and see this "wondrous place" for yourself.

BUT Think VERY carefully about a move here.
Wow, I dont think even I was ever that blatant

The fx rate has dropped a lot since I left though, I remember being in supermarkets and choking when it was at 7.4, now i'ts dropped to 6 and the inflationary pressures haven't abated I dread to think what anything imported costs.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

You like my description, I doubt any one with their hand on their heart could not agree with me.

We all grin and bear it here the most often used phrase "oh well it is THEIR country"

I am not quite sure how the Country could make us ex-pats feel more unwelcome, perhaps a swift knee to the nuts upon arrival (although the heat feels similar to that and has the same incapacitating affect) Or perhaps daily lashes.

You often wonder round in a state of utter bewilderment here, asking yourself can people really be this stupid ? why do these rudimentary things have to be sooo difficult ? How many stamps do I need on a piece of paper ? Why do you have to go to another person with a STAMP can't one man sign a piece of paper and stamp it ?. How come I am a manager of a team of 20 yet only ever see two Indians in the Office ?. Why Why Why ?

All the adverts new towers, hotels, conference centres and Apartments simply cannot cover up the fact that the country is 30 years behind the rest of the World, 20 years behind Dubai and not worth the effort unless you are guaranteed a Kings bloody ransom.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

You like my description, I doubt any one with their hand on their heart could not agree with me.

We all grin and bear it here the most often used phrase "oh well it is THEIR country"

I am not quite sure how the Country could make us ex-pats feel more unwelcome, perhaps a swift knee to the nuts upon arrival (although the heat feels similar to that and has the same incapacitating affect) Or perhaps daily lashes.

You often wonder round in a state of utter bewilderment here, asking yourself can people really be this stupid ? why do these rudimentary things have to be sooo difficult ? How many stamps do I need on a piece of paper ? Why do you have to go to another person with a STAMP can't one man sign a piece of paper and stamp it ?. How come I am a manager of a team of 20 yet only ever see two Indians in the Office ?. Why Why Why ?

All the adverts new towers, hotels, conference centres and Apartments simply cannot cover up the fact that the country is 30 years behind the rest of the World, 20 years behind Dubai and not worth the effort unless you are guaranteed a Kings bloody ransom.
Not 20 years behind dubai...more like 30.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:49 am
Just Joined

eferro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Doha

Hello Tootsie Frickensprinkles or anyone who can help,
I am a senior geologist and have been offered a position with Qatar Petroleum. They are offering me 51700 QR (14164 USD) per month. That includes my base salary, housing and other allowances. This total 169973 USD a year. In addition they give a bonus up to 17% of my anual base salary (This might mean about 15000 USD more a year). They also pay the children's private schooling and provide comprehensive medical coverage. We have three children of which two are still in school. My goal is to save at least 100000 USD per year to make my move worth it. We are a family with reasonable needs, nothing extra fancy. I have read a lot of worrisome posts about the high cost of living in Qatar. Do you think that saving is feasible without stretching too much our quality of life?. I currently live in Houston, Texas. I think that there is some room for negotiation but before doing so I would like to have an idea about possible ranges.
Your insights will very much be appreciated.
Eferro
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:13 am
Just Joined

eferro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chef School in Doha

Hello,
Does anyone know if there is a culinary school in Doha at a college level?. My son wants to be a chef and is about to start studying in the Arts Institute of Houston where they offer a college-level bachelors degree in Culinary Arts. If we eventually move to Doha he would like to come with us.
Thanks in advance for any information,
Eferro
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Cost of living in Doha

Originally Posted by eferro
Hello Tootsie Frickensprinkles or anyone who can help,
I am a senior geologist and have been offered a position with Qatar Petroleum. They are offering me 51700 QR (14164 USD) per month. That includes my base salary, housing and other allowances. This total 169973 USD a year. In addition they give a bonus up to 17% of my anual base salary (This might mean about 15000 USD more a year). They also pay the children's private schooling and provide comprehensive medical coverage. We have three children of which two are still in school. My goal is to save at least 100000 USD per year to make my move worth it. We are a family with reasonable needs, nothing extra fancy. I have read a lot of worrisome posts about the high cost of living in Qatar. Do you think that saving is feasible without stretching too much our quality of life?. I currently live in Houston, Texas. I think that there is some room for negotiation but before doing so I would like to have an idea about possible ranges.
Your insights will very much be appreciated.
Eferro
How many kids do you have.

I thought QP supplied accommodation, A villa will cost you between 14-18K a month. Thats in Rials. Prices ARE dropping so after the summer they most certainly would be lower.

Cost of living is high, I just PM'ed someone about this, it may be tax free here but when you pay 10 DOLLARS for a bottle of beer in a hotel BAR is doesn't seem like it's TAX free. OBV beer brought for home consumption is cheaper.

I think your salary after accmodation would leave u with 37K as long as the kids schooling is paid for and you don't go out much then saving 100K SHOULD be doable. Put it this way u will be earning more than me and I save about 65K dollars a year.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:06 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Doha

How many kids do you have.

I thought QP supplied accommodation, A villa will cost you between 14-18K a month. Thats in Rials. Prices ARE dropping so after the summer they most certainly would be lower.

Cost of living is high, I just PM'ed someone about this, it may be tax free here but when you pay 10 DOLLARS for a bottle of beer in a hotel BAR is doesn't seem like it's TAX free. OBV beer brought for home consumption is cheaper.

I think your salary after accmodation would leave u with 37K as long as the kids schooling is paid for and you don't go out much then saving 100K SHOULD be doable. Put it this way u will be earning more than me and I save about 65K dollars a year.
QP not supplying accommodation for indefenite contract. They giving you allowance.