Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How to learn local customs for the UAE, and Arab / Islamic culture

How to learn local customs for the UAE, and Arab / Islamic culture

Old Sep 6th 2016, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to learn local customs for the UAE, and Arab / Islamic culture

I am moving to Abu Dhabi at the end of this year and would really like to learn more about UAE and Arab and Islamic cultures and customs.

Yes, I know it isn't necessary, but I enjoy learning about different cultures and I want to use the opportunity while I live in the UAE to build my brain a little!

Can anyone recommend any books or guides that are worth reading?

What is a good greeting to use with an Emirati that shows you want to make an effort?
Old Sep 6th 2016, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to learn local customs for the UAE, and Arab / Islamic culture

I take it you never lived in the ME before?

The best greeting for any UAE national is not to greet at all.....remember you are an expat a 2nd rated citizen in their country
Old Sep 6th 2016, 9:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Start by taking a look at the pinned UAE history thread in the section above...
Old Sep 6th 2016, 9:09 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I would also say that it is necessary to learn a bit about customs and culture if you want to avoid being arrested for the wrong kind of hand gesture, behaving inappropriately and ignoring the strict rules for Ramadan.

Besides, why would a person move thousands of miles and not want to know anything about where they are living? Sadly there are too many of those types here already.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 9:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is what the OP is looking for, and/or this.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 6th 2016 at 9:21 am.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 11:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

There are a few good fiction and non-fiction books that help.

This was an interesting read when I first moved here; Amazon link
Old Sep 6th 2016, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Some of my favourites are here

Some Great Books About the UAE | The Desert Diva
Old Sep 7th 2016, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic. Thanks all. That's what I'm looking for.

I have read all the online guides I've found, and I have visited several times so know what it is like in Abu Dhabi. I was just looking for something a bit deeper than the usual etiquette guides.

I've ordered the CultureSmart guide and the book called "Rags to Riches".

Is there a good language course anyone can recommend?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 10:27 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
Fantastic. Thanks all. That's what I'm looking for.

I have read all the online guides I've found, and I have visited several times so know what it is like in Abu Dhabi. I was just looking for something a bit deeper than the usual etiquette guides.

I've ordered the CultureSmart guide and the book called "Rags to Riches".

Is there a good language course anyone can recommend?
I haven't done the Arabic, but I can certainly vouch for Michel Thomas' French course if you're after conversational ability, and Earworm's Italian (they both do Arabic, too). Il sont bellisomos.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

The Sheikh Mohamed Centre for cultural understanding gives brilliant Q&A sessions run by Emiratis, it's a great way to learn more about Emiratis and some differences between traditions from gulf country to country.

Highly recommended.

The book "Don't they know it's Friday" gives a great overview for business as well as daily life as well. Good luck with your move.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all! I will look up those courses.

The Sheikh Mohamed Centre looks fantastic. Just what I'm after when I arrive. Does anyone know of something similar in Abu Dhabi?
Old Sep 8th 2016, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ask Ali Portal
Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

"...before I was nine I had learned the basic canon of Arab life. It was me against my brother;me and my brother against our father; my family against my cousins and the clan; the clan against the tribe; and the tribe against the world. And all of us against the infidel."

Leon Uris: The Haj
Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:17 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kakawax
"...before I was nine I had learned the basic canon of Arab life. It was me against my brother;me and my brother against our father; my family against my cousins and the clan; the clan against the tribe; and the tribe against the world. And all of us against the infidel."

Leon Uris: The Haj
Know thine enemy. Doubly.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 10:29 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Watch the film Zulu, That's what The Trap (bar) is like at closing time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.