Reload this Page >

How hard is it to find a nice small (affordable) villa in Riyadh

How hard is it to find a nice small (affordable) villa in Riyadh

Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Dsithlord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How hard is it to find a nice small (affordable) villa in Riyadh

Hi All

I expect to arrive in Riyadh middle of September. My company is looking for accommodations for me, but I might prefer to find my own.

I will be given 2,500/mo housing allowance. I would like to find a nice, furnished villa in a safe area. I am a single male, age 27

What are my chances?

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice
Default Re: How hard is it to find a nice small (affordable) villa in Riyadh

Take my advice and let your company do it - finding one yourself is a nightmare - and your allowance is not going to get you very far - at best a very mediocre apartment but not in a compound.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

Unless you're talking ££££'s
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:09 am
Just Joined

me61ok is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danajj
Take my advice and let your company do it - finding one yourself is a nightmare - and your allowance is not going to get you very far - at best a very mediocre apartment but not in a compound.
Hi
Moving to Riyadh end of Sept 09.
My offices are nr the MOFA ( Ministry of Foreign Affairs)in south Riyadh.
Looking for singles friendly community style accomm. / possibly 1 or 2 bed apartment close to this area.Ideally with gym & pool.Any ideas ?
Mark
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me61ok
Hi
Moving to Riyadh end of Sept 09.
My offices are nr the MOFA ( Ministry of Foreign Affairs)in south Riyadh.
Looking for singles friendly community style accomm. / possibly 1 or 2 bed apartment close to this area.Ideally with gym & pool.Any ideas ?
Mark
Do you actually realize you are moving to Saudi Arabia?
Unless your employer finds you accom on a western compound.....forget the "single friendly" ida...and even on a compound you might want to be a bit careful....
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:30 am
Just Joined

me61ok is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alexa
Do you actually realize you are moving to Saudi Arabia?
Unless your employer finds you accom on a western compound.....forget the "single friendly" ida...and even on a compound you might want to be a bit careful....
The employers have now confirmed that apartment will not be in a compound in any case; presume this is a less expensive option for them.i will wait till i am out there now , to review accommodation arrangements. Im still going to want to make social contacts so this board is a start.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

There are some nice apartments outside compounds in areas such as Olaya in Riyadh - the only drawback is you won't have the 'compound social life' easy to hand. There's a small band of new arrivals here that are getting together -so always welcome to give us a shout when you arrive.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

amy1417 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by me61ok
The employers have now confirmed that apartment will not be in a compound in any case; presume this is a less expensive option for them.i will wait till i am out there now , to review accommodation arrangements. Im still going to want to make social contacts so this board is a start.
Hey me61ok,

Living outside a compound as you are a single bloke is not so so difficult. You will have access to real Riyadh local life including eating in local Saudi restaurants and walking around the city. Single females can't do this so compounds are safer for them. If you managed to maintain contact with a group of men and got in after-work groups i.e. dancing and so on and embassies, you could certainly have a relatively enjoyable time and could be occupied. I have tried both and as a single female I prefer the compound of course. more later..

amy1417
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:55 pm
QED
Just Joined

QED is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely look towards finding a place in a compound if you are looking for some kind of social life. Look at the other blogs for some idea of costs of compounds so that you can determine how far your housing allowance will stretch.