Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How to get Ooredoo fibre?

How to get Ooredoo fibre?

Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Marianina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to get Ooredoo fibre?

Today hubby and me went to an Ooredoo shop to get fibre Internet installed for our new flat in Al Sadd area but we were told fibre is not yet installed in our building which was a big surprise for us as Al Sadd is very central. I thought first she got the electricity number wrong or we gave her a wrong one I mean seriously you need Internet here more than enywhere else and 4MBPS??
When we asked the lady at the ooredoo shop if they gonna install fibre in our building anytime soon she replied inshallah - which means no
I am still surprised. Anyways we were told we can call their number tomorrow and talk to them about fibre in our building and my question is: anyone here who was in a similar situation or got fibre installed later? Any advice about the process is much appreciated
Old Apr 1st 2015, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to get Ooredoo fibre?

Fibre should be available in your area:

Ooredoo - Fibre - Get Connected

This is Qatar though. Could be one of many problems holding up the installation. Might be worth giving their call centre a ring though. The other option is to go for one of their 4G+ mobile my-fi units.

Ooredoo - Mobile Broadband Tariffs
Old Apr 1st 2015, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marianina View Post
Today hubby and me went to an Ooredoo shop to get fibre Internet installed for our new flat in Al Sadd area but we were told fibre is not yet installed in our building which was a big surprise for us as Al Sadd is very central. I thought first she got the electricity number wrong or we gave her a wrong one I mean seriously you need Internet here more than enywhere else and 4MBPS??
When we asked the lady at the ooredoo shop if they gonna install fibre in our building anytime soon she replied inshallah - which means no
I am still surprised. Anyways we were told we can call their number tomorrow and talk to them about fibre in our building and my question is: anyone here who was in a similar situation or got fibre installed later? Any advice about the process is much appreciated
Don't hold your breath as they're pure garbage . They are doing it slowly and iam surprised they have not done your building considering you're in Al Saad , ours was done 2 years ago in Al Waab and too be honest it's still shit .

TIQ - This Is Qatar
Old Apr 1st 2015, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Marianina is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply guys.
The map on their website clearly shows Al Sadd is covered but the lady at their shop said the map is not accurate.

This is all so messed up: called the hotline 118 today, they said we should apply anyway for ooredoo fibre at one of the branch as apparently they are not installing copper in areas which are covered for fibre (but where it's not yet available). Funny though the lady at the shop referred us to the hotline and person at the hotline referred us to a branch. Called the maintenance manager of the building and he said there is fibre available and ooredoos system at the shop would not recognise some of the electricity numbers. Went to ooredoo with that info and they said without their system recognising the kahrama number only ADSL contract can be done. BUT whenever the installation guy comes to install it (hopefully next week - "inshallah" ) and he can see there is fibre available then we could change it to fibre.
Let's see what the installation guy says.
It didn't took us long to see how things work here and how sloowwww things go here. Still I wouldn't expect that in one of THE richest countries of the world there is only one single internet provider in my area - and that for not a small price also (433 qr for 4mbps).
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marianina View Post
Thanks for the reply guys.
The map on their website clearly shows Al Sadd is covered but the lady at their shop said the map is not accurate.

This is all so messed up: called the hotline 118 today, they said we should apply anyway for ooredoo fibre at one of the branch as apparently they are not installing copper in areas which are covered for fibre (but where it's not yet available). Funny though the lady at the shop referred us to the hotline and person at the hotline referred us to a branch. Called the maintenance manager of the building and he said there is fibre available and ooredoos system at the shop would not recognise some of the electricity numbers. Went to ooredoo with that info and they said without their system recognising the kahrama number only ADSL contract can be done. BUT whenever the installation guy comes to install it (hopefully next week - "inshallah" ) and he can see there is fibre available then we could change it to fibre.
Let's see what the installation guy says.
It didn't took us long to see how things work here and how sloowwww things go here. Still I wouldn't expect that in one of THE richest countries of the world there is only one single internet provider in my area - and that for not a small price also (433 qr for 4mbps).
Remember that's all they have the money , just go with the flow . Services are run poorly , inefficiently with not much customer service , it's par for the course in most Gulf states but worse here.

You will get what you need in the end it's just the time it takes and nonsense you'll go through to get there .

Just quietly count the money at the end of each month
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is pure crap. Ignore anything that suggests their is fibre. It might be in the street but unless you have a bunch of people in your building all bending their ear they are not going to be putting it in.

I'm on the C ring near Toyota and it's right in the middle of fibre country yet no way is it available in the building, nor is it going to be I would say. At home in Thailand, a developing country at best, I have 30Mb/3Mb for the equivalent of QR122 a month at it's whizzy fast both in country and international.

Would you be better going with Vodaphone 4G data. Not sure how much a month but I get 16-20MBps regularly on Speedtest. You'd need to be post paid I guess