British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   How far will this get me in Abu Dhabi? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-far-will-get-me-abu-dhabi-921385/)

sparkyt Jan 24th 2019 6:24 pm

How far will this get me in Abu Dhabi?

Hi all,

I'm looking at a package that includes a salary of AED287k with various add ons. Is this reasonable for AD? With a family to follow, what's the latest on life there? Would Dubai be better?

TIA for any info.

Millhouse Jan 25th 2019 9:10 am

Re: How far will this get me in Abu Dhabi?

Originally Posted by sparkyt (Post 12626768)
Hi all,

I'm looking at a package that includes a salary of AED287k with various add ons. Is this reasonable for AD? With a family to follow, what's the latest on life there? Would Dubai be better?

TIA for any info.

I assume that's per year and not per month. We talk monthly here as who knows if you'll make the full year :)

Doesn't sound like much to be honest, then again it all depends on many bits of info that you've not given ... wife working, number of kids, saving expectations etc.

flood2 Jan 25th 2019 5:54 pm

if that's a year forget it

DOHDUBMAN Jan 25th 2019 6:25 pm

What do you mean by various add ons? Are they substantial as that is a fairly low salary.

sparkyt Jan 26th 2019 10:13 am

Thanks for your replies. So to elaborate some more, £60k pa (AED287k) plus healthcare, accommodation allowance, education allowance, and flights.
With me would be wife and two kids, 8 and 3.
Still on the low side??

Millhouse Jan 26th 2019 10:39 am

Originally Posted by sparkyt (Post 12627527)
Thanks for your replies. So to elaborate some more, £60k pa (AED287k) plus healthcare, accommodation allowance, education allowance, and flights.
Still on the low side??

very. About half what you need.

DOHDUBMAN Jan 26th 2019 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by sparkyt (Post 12627527)
Still on the low side??

If, I'm assuming your allowances match your salary (which is quite common) then that would put you at 120K a year. This may sound good compared to UK standards but if your allowances are needed fully then you will be living on 60K a year. Which is 5K a month. That seems a little on the low side for a family of four. If you add on holidays, additional flights, cars etc and not planning on saving at all then i think you will be penny pinching very very hard to get through the month. Obviously it depends on how you spend and how your family likes to spend. But with an 8 and a 3 year old who are bored in the summer and need activities to keep them from climbing the wall...

archie159 Jan 26th 2019 3:51 pm

You need to state the value of the allowances, especially the accommodation. For some local companies the base salary might only be 40% of what you get monthly - they will load the allowances, minimise the salary, to reduce the end of service benefit paid (which is based on salary only).

Gavtek Jan 27th 2019 3:01 am

Looks ok to me assuming your allowances fully cover your rent and school fees. Leaves you with AED 24k/month to live off. If your wife works, then her salary is pure "profit" to add on top.

My net salary after paying rent and school fees is about the same (I have a stay-at-home wife and 2 kids). We don't penny pinch by any means, live in a nice area with private beach and we can save up to AED 10k most months (typically don't save much at Christmas and when we go on holiday).

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 27th 2019 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Gavtek (Post 12627886)
Looks ok to me assuming your allowances fully cover your rent and school fees. Leaves you with AED 24k/month to live off. If your wife works, then her salary is pure "profit" to add on top.

My net salary after paying rent and school fees is about the same (I have a stay-at-home wife and 2 kids). We don't penny pinch by any means, live in a nice area with private beach and we can save up to AED 10k most months (typically don't save much at Christmas and when we go on holiday).

Amen. Families of four don't need 70k a month to just scrape by as many make out.
I wonder if it's just plain fear mongering or showing off to the internet?

Millhouse Jan 27th 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12627907)
Amen. Families of four don't need 70k a month to just scrape by as many make out.
I wonder if it's just plain fear mongering or showing off to the internet?

actually I misread it. I thought the salary was inclusive of the benefits 😀

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 27th 2019 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12627972)
actually I misread it. I thought the salary was inclusive of the benefits 😀

Wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, it's just the latest thread for people to suggest unrealistic things when it comes to packages etc.

Millhouse Jan 27th 2019 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12627987)
Wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, it's just the latest thread for people to suggest unrealistic things when it comes to packages etc.

true. But your job is also to get newbies to accept lowball offers 😁

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 27th 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12628001)

true. But your job is also to get newbies to accept lowball offers 😁

We rarely hire newbies now. We can get people who've been here ages to accept the lowball offers.

(PS: I'm kidding, we're not too bad).
(PPS: unless we're talking about my pay, then we're shit).

sparkyt Jan 27th 2019 11:40 am

Thank you for the insight so far. Just a little bit more info, it's a UK based company.

So what is a border line poor salary there? Am I looking at it or close to it?

What's the cost of living approximately? The research varies depending on which source you use. As a comparison, I take it Dubai is more costly?

Again, TIA.