Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How far does your salary stretch in the Middle East

How far does your salary stretch in the Middle East

Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:38 am
Just Joined

ogaya will become famous soon enough
Default How far does your salary stretch in the Middle East

I have been based in Oman for the past couple of years. I earn by UK standards a good salary 3700 OMR a month.

However I find that with a family of four with a maid it is impossible to save anything. Oman is very expensive.

The company I work for does not pay schooling/housing or even healthcare. Unfortuantely none of my western friends discuss what they are earning so I am not sure If i could expect better elswhere. What makes it worse is that no bonuses have been paid this year!

If you are in Oman or UAE could you share your experience (& salary if possible)

I am in the Construction Industry in a Senior Capacity.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:48 am
Account Closed

tayls123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How far does your salary stretch in the Middle East

well my boss is senior management, and im quite friendly with our accountant...i know he earns 8 grand a months (pounds) and his accomodation is paid for him both in Saudi and in Dubai where his wife and kids live...but he's top dog over here...there is nobody more senior than him at this company in Saudi so that might have a bearing on it. I on the other hand earn considerably less than that...and i find it super easy to save since there is zero expenditure here. healthcare, accomodation, food, phone bills...everything is paid for...and theres no distractions to waste your money on...most of the guys out here, if your looking to save, theres no better place to be. i've been touted for a move to Oman in the coming months for an upcoming project...whats it like there? expensive?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tayls123
i've been touted for a move to Oman in the coming months for an upcoming project...whats it like there? expensive?
Did you not read the original post? He says that Oman is very expensive.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:57 am
Account Closed

cheers for pointing that out eagle eyes ..i was wondering how expensive
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You have a maid and are whining about not saving? I think the expression is called "cutting your cloth"

But in all seriousness, with 4 kids you will not save much on that salary. I would say you need almost double... Of course, what you need, and what you should be paid are often different things.

I'm not going to say what I earn, but I can tell you what I spend. I too have to pay for EVERYTHING, school fees, healthcare, flights, sex, maid (not related to previous item), housing, cars, even the blood tests and visas for my family. All in I spend around 35k AED month. I have one saucepan lid.

Last edited by Millhouse; Feb 5th 2012 at 10:03 am.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Did you not read the original post? He says that Oman is very expensive.
Oman is only expensive if you fritter your money away. If you are sensible ( rare, I know) then it is a great place to live and a reasonable place to save.

If you get onto the keeping up game, though, it's shit.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Oman is only expensive if you fritter your money away. If you are sensible ( rare, I know) then it is a great place to live and a reasonable place to save.

If you get onto the keeping up game, though, it's shit.
not interested in keeping up...how much is basic things....beer, cigs, a weekly food shop etc. does it fall in line with the rest of the middle east or is it an overpriced sh*thole?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:13 am
Just Joined

ogaya will become famous soon enough

not interested in keeping up...how much is basic things....beer, cigs, a weekly food shop etc. does it fall in line with the rest of the middle east or is it an overpriced sh*thole?
Family of 4

Rent - 700 OMR Small Villa
Sedan Car - 17O rental
Supermarket - 600 a month
Bills - 200 a month
Maid - 120 month
School - 3000 a year++
Health - 1000 a year
All omani riyals
Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Personally for me Oman is the best place in the Gulf to live . Laid back , a nice city in Muscat and a different vibe about the place .

It's still expensive though .
Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ogaya
I have been based in Oman for the past couple of years. I earn by UK standards a good salary 3700 OMR a month.

However I find that with a family of four with a maid it is impossible to save anything. Oman is very expensive.

The company I work for does not pay schooling/housing or even healthcare. Unfortuantely none of my western friends discuss what they are earning so I am not sure If i could expect better elswhere. What makes it worse is that no bonuses have been paid this year!

If you are in Oman or UAE could you share your experience (& salary if possible)

I am in the Construction Industry in a Senior Capacity.

Thanks for your feedback.
The schooling is the killer for you and let's be honest get the wife to mop the floors and clean the crapper .

You'll save yourself a few bob
Old Feb 5th 2012, 12:55 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

change employer.

most folks with 15-20 yrs experience in construction get around 3000 OMR per month PLUS a rental allowance PLUS medical PLUS schooling. Some folks (those at the airport) get a 4wd thrown in as well.

sedan car at 170/month is expensive. you're better off getting a 2 yr loan and buying the damn thing outright at that charge. you can buy 5-6 yr old 4wd for around 5000 OMR.

you could save on the maid if your wife doesnt work. you could save on the villa by renting in less presitigous areas (eg Ghubra, Bousher). you could save on the shopping by buying in Carrefour or Lulu rather than Al Fair.

if you have to pay for schooling, and you;re going to BSM/ABA/TASIM that's pretty standard per child, if not on the cheap side.

of course... and as per course in the ME... all the above assumes that you have a "western" passport, and you're not living in Ruwi (you know what I mean) and sending your kids to MIS or ISO...
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I would expect to touch the sides for 30 OMR a night. Does that help ?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
I would expect to touch the sides for 30 OMR a night. Does that help ?

I hear it's all worn out PRC's that most of the oilfield trash have been through a dozen times each....and still they ask 100 a night
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
I hear it's all worn out PRC's that most of the oilfield trash have been through a dozen times each....and still they ask 100 a night
God I hate Chinese take aways at the best of times but more so at 100 bucks a night. Better to get a bored European housewife and save a few bucks even if you have to put up with their stretch marks and whinging about their husbands
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
God I hate Chinese take aways at the best of times but more so at 100 bucks a night. Better to get a bored European housewife and save a few bucks even if you have to put up with their stretch marks and whinging about their husbands
Hmm! The Fahud widows....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.