British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   How to extend Saudi driving licence? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-extend-saudi-driving-licence-918075/)

magnification Oct 7th 2018 4:29 pm

How to extend Saudi driving licence?

To renew my KSA driving licence, do I just order it online, then pay.
Is a new photo needed?
Do I await their text message that it's ready, then collect the licence from the local driving school?

scot47 Oct 7th 2018 4:31 pm

Re: How to extend Saudi driving licence?

Get your "kafeel" on the case. That is his job !

nonthaburi Oct 7th 2018 5:34 pm

You will need to go to your local government registered medical centre and explain that you need the check up for driver license. About 100 SAR normally I think. They do all the paperwork there.

They will then upload the results into the government system. You should receive a text telling you when this has been done on your Absher registered phone number.

You then go online and pay the fee based on how many years you want.

once this is done you all your information is processed. There is a piece of paper you can print out from your Absher account.

take this to the main moroor office where licenses are issued. Just show them your Iqama and old license. Wait five minutes and you'll get your new license.

You shouldn't need a photo because they just use the same one that's on the Iqama. Don't quote me on that though.

it's quite efficient really, and relatively painless.

magnification Oct 7th 2018 6:48 pm

Thanks.

sicklyman Oct 9th 2018 9:07 am

to confirm: no photo needed

all the rest is as nonthaburi says unless you work for a decent company. In which case, do the eye test and the payment at an ATM/online and then just give your old license to HR. They'll do the rest and contact you when your new license is comes back to them a day or so later.

nonthaburi Oct 9th 2018 10:38 am

Originally Posted by sicklyman (Post 12574852)
to confirm: no photo needed

all the rest is as nonthaburi says unless you work for a decent company. In which case, do the eye test and the payment at an ATM/online and then just give your old license to HR. They'll do the rest and contact you when your new license is comes back to them a day or so later.

my company is decent, unfortunately their HR leaves a lot to be desired.

had to take the company car to do an MVPI inspection the other week. It was only then after nearly three years of driving the thing that anyone noticed the VIN number on the windshield didn't match the number on the Istamara!

magnification Oct 12th 2018 10:58 am

Are driving schools open on Saturdays in order to get a renewed driving licence?

nonthaburi Oct 15th 2018 3:59 am

Originally Posted by magnification (Post 12576563)
Are driving schools open on Saturdays in order to get a renewed driving licence?

I think when you get your first Saudi license you go to the driving school, but after that when you renew you need to deal with the Moroor office. Just ask a Saudi colleague where it is or Google.

Don't think they'll be open on a Saturday though.

sicklyman Oct 15th 2018 9:19 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12577667)
I think when you get your first Saudi license you go to the driving school

I didn't six years ago. Just gave my then employer my UK license, they had it translated, ran me to a clinic to do an eyetest and gave me a Saudi license a couple of days later.

Things may have changed though.

nonthaburi Oct 15th 2018 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by sicklyman (Post 12577725)
I didn't six years ago. Just gave my then employer my UK license, they had it translated, ran me to a clinic to do an eyetest and gave me a Saudi license a couple of days later.

Things may have changed though.

yeah, but my point is that first license and renewal are different processes, even more so now than before with the online stuff.

regardless, when your company person did that for you they would have had to go to the driving school with the translations etc.

and for the renewal to the Moroor office.